Good example of unjust enforcement of laws

Parking tickets pile up on van with dead driver
Woman says her dad apparently lay dead for weeks beneath N.Y. highway

msnbc.msn.com/id/31122122/?GT1=43001

NEW YORK - A New York City woman says her father apparently lay dead for weeks in a minivan while police repeatedly left parking tickets on the vehicle.

Jennifer Morales of Manhattan told the Daily News on Thursday that she believes her father, George Morales, died of a heart attack.

This is absolutely disgusting.

Please tell me again that cops do care about public safety, and not about revenue?

That’s disgusting

I think, in general, cops do care about public safety. But with any job, there’s going to be people who don’t care about anything.

Like a person who gets promoted to supervisor, and it then goes to their head. They get the huge ego and feel like they have power and can fire people left and right, until they find out it’s a glorified title, they have no real power, that there’s a chain of command higher than them and a policy manual that needs to be followed. (Which was my last director, who violated company policy until I reported her to HR).

Or like a bagger at a supermarket. Generally, they know not to put eggs or bread with a 2-liter bottle of soda. But every now and then, there’s the one that does just that.

Oh, and the article… disgusting.

It’s a sad story, but don’t be too hard on the cops. I read the story in a new york newspaper’s website and the body was in the back seat of a van which was parked well out of the way of any traffic. MSNBC tends to leave out facts in favor of entertainment. The cops ticketed the vehicle four times then called for a tow.

Was the man reported missing during that time? If he had, it would have made it all the more difficult.

One might include the fact that the man wasn’t in the front seat, making him hardly visible from outside of the vehicle. That as well and the man was reported missing, but not the vehicle… meaning that while the man could have a bolo out on him, the vehicle would not have.

However, I see where you’re coming from. A friend of mine had her jeep wrangler stolen and reported it stolen. It was likewise ticketed 6 times before being towed to impound… and THAT is when the impound people noticed and contacted her.

Likewise, around my neighborhood, if people park not-very-nice cars around for awhile, they can be towed… however, the law states that an abandoned vehicle ticket has to wait 5 business days before it can be towed… so the cops ticket the vehicles which are eyesores with “vehicle parked on a highway” so that they can use that to tow the vehicle within 24 hours. I complained to the county comissioner about this practice after a friend’s car was towed because he flew home for the weekend… and I got no response at all.

wcbstv.com/local/ny.vehicle.ticketed.2.1032503.html

A window was cracked. The odor became overpowering. After the car was ticketed each Monday for a month, a marshal, about to tow the van, noticed a body in the back seat.

Now if the marshal noticed it, why didn’t the tickethappy cops notice it?

When he was found, his daughter said, he was not covered with a blanket or coat, but was in plain view of anyone who looked inside. She wondered: what if there was a person inside a car who was ill and needed help?

It was in plain view.

There was no word from police as to why tickets were repeatedly issued without taking a look inside.

The word was REVENUE. Or is it QUOTA?

Disgusting.

Did the police ticket the vehicle, or was it meter maids, whose job is to collect revenue?

I hear ya. How about back your car up in parking space instead of pulling in. How in the world can that be deemed worthy of a ticket? Last time I check it’s much more safe to back in a space instead of pulling in.

MSNBC would hide critical facts in a “news story”? That is utterly shocking and next to unbelievable. Next you will tell me that fish need water, that basketballs are filled with air or similar shocking bits of information. :cool:

Seriously. This is a sad story. I think it is safe to say that when an officer writes a parking ticket, it is not unreasonable for that person not to assume there is a dead person inside. After all, they usually knock on the window. My prayers are with this man and his family.

And for the real shocker - There is gambling at Rick’s :eek:

The article says police, but even if it were meter maids, the objection is still the same: Do they care more about revenue than public safety? The dead body was a health hazard (the stench was bad!)

I’m not so sure. This is lso from your article:

His daughter suspects George Morales, who suffered from diabetes and heart problems, may have felt ill, and pulled off the road for a nap.

I suppose if someone took the time to look in all of the windows, they might have seen his body lying in back, but I doubt that cops or meter maids anywhere would do such a thorough inspection.

The vehicle didn’t belong to him, so there may have been no reason to suspect he was inside, regardless.
nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/06/03/2009-06-03_dead_body_found_in_car_about_to_be_towed_.html

It seems there are a lot of unanswered questions, such as who owned the minivan and why wasn’t it reported missing? How long did George Morales have possession of it? Did he have keys to it, or was he just living in it? Could it have been parked and gotten the first ticket(s) before Mr. Morales died?

I dunno… its a very sad story. But there is so much we don’t know.

The other quotes from that article also tell something.

A window was cracked. The odor became overpowering. After the car was ticketed each Monday for a month, a marshal, about to tow the van, noticed a body in the back seat.

SNIFF SNIFF That must be the smell of pizza! Yeah, that’s the ticket…

When he was found, his daughter said, he was not covered with a blanket or coat, but was in plain view of anyone who looked inside. She wondered: what if there was a person inside a car who was ill and needed help?

So even though he may have fallen asleep, he didn’t exactly cover himself up with a blanket or coat.

While not uncommon, this is not the first time this type of thing has happened, see article below.

Body in car identified as Gainesville engineer
gainesville.com/article/20090225/ARTICLES/902250971

While it is tragic that someone could die and nobody notices (and, unfortunately, I have read several stories over the years where just that very thing has happened in houses, apartments, cars, etc.), I think the title of this thread is a bit harsh on law enforcement. While there are exceptions and maybe many, I think for the most part, police officers do care for the people in their communities (remember 9/11?), do want to do their jobs well, and are not just out to meet quotas.

While the story about the man in New York and the one in Gainsville are sad and disturbing, because someone died and weren’t noticed, it has happened before and it is always appalling. Worse is when someone dies, they are noticed, BUT still nobody cares. All the stories below are awful and reflect a lack of caring for our fellow man that is appalling, but this societal trend is NOT limited to police officers or meter maids only.

Kansas Store Video Captures Five Shoppers Stepping Over Dying Stabbing Victim
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287953,00.html

Tape shows woman dying on waiting room floor
cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/waiting.room.death/index.html?eref=rs

Woman sat dead in front of her TV for 42 years
dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2008/05/16/woman-sat-dead-in-front-of-tv-for-42-years-86908-20419070/

Where did the community go?
tothecenter.com/news.php?readmore=9317

After reading these stories, saying a prayer for ALL mankind seems appropriate, doesn’t it?

The thread is deservedly harsh on law enforcement. If the government has the right to leech off of the public through unjust enforcement of the law, it has the responsibility to check if there are people in the car who need help!

Especially if there is a STENCH.

This is what happens when police turn into revenue agents. Yes, they enforce the law…profitably…

Ask any police officer which is more important: Public safety or law enforcement. You won’t like the answer.

Greedy business is bad, greedy government is bad too.

In other news, the NYPD stock is up a quarter point in today’s trading…

Sometimes it is just bizarre:

“Police made a startling discovery on a peaceful, well-kept block in Evanston yesterday afternoon. A 90-year-old woman was found living in a house on Judson Avenue with her brother, Frank Bernstorff, and two sisters, Elaine Bernstorff and Anita Bernstorff – all three of which were deceased.”

chicagoist.com/2008/11/08/evanston_woman_found_living_with_3.php

And we had a guy in Chicago who bought an abandoned home for the unpaid taxes and found the previous owner in the living room, dead from a heart attack at least a year previously. It happens.

Sorry for the delay in replying, somehow I missed your post. Anyway, that story is just icky. The first thing I thought of after reading the above was Norman Bates living with the corpse of his mother in the movie Psycho. That was just a movie. What a ghastly thought that someone could actually live with three corpses for years!

That is just sad. You would think at least one person would have missed him and noticed his absence. :sad_yes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.