Good Friday and marital relations

Lent is coming up very soon and I’ve always wondered this question. :o

Good Friday is supposed to be a special day of prayer and giving things up. So…

Would it be inappropriate to engage in marital relations on Good Friday? :confused:

Yep, I come up with some strange questions don’t I? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I don't think so, unless you're giving it up together (you both agree to do so) as a way of sacrificing. But what are you sacrificing - the pleasure? We all know marital relations involve a whole lot more than just that.
God created the bond of matrimony and it is a Sacrament. Your sexual relationship w/your husband is part of that Sacrament. I don't think God expects you to give that up. :thumbsup:

[quote="tampagrl, post:2, topic:183838"]
I don't think so, unless you're giving it up together (you both agree to do so) as a way of sacrificing. But what are you sacrificing - the pleasure? We all know marital relations involve a whole lot more than just that.
God created the bond of matrimony and it is a Sacrament. Your sexual relationship w/your husband is part of that Sacrament. I don't think God expects you to give that up. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Oh I wasn't saying for all of lent...:o...just Good Friday. ;)

According to I Cor 7: 4-6, the wife's body belongs to the husband and vice versa, but the two can agree to abstain from sex for a time "to be free for prayer" but St. Paul is carefeul to warn couples to return to each other and maintain a conjugal relationship and that this practice (temporary abstinence) is optional. So according to St. Paul, a couple can agree to abstain from sex on Good Friday (or any other day) but BOTH the husband and wife must agree and they must resume their sexual relationship after the pre-agreed time for abstinence.

Hmmm I actually remember reading somewhere ( about 8 years ago on Good Friday when I was a single person ) that husband and wife should actually abstain on this day. I will try to find a source...

hmm... I guess because I was a recent convert (10 years ago), I must have interpreted abstinence wrong for the Good Friday. Hahahhaha.

I found another thread here on CAF about it

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=135156

Eastern Christian discipline normally expects a married couple to abstain from sex during the fasting periods, including all of Lent.

…Western Christianity doesn’t have an official position on abstaining from relations on Good Friday or any other time of general fasting. …which is not to say that it wasn’t taught to certain people at certain times in history.

In any case, abstaining (when one otherwise wouldn’t) should be a mutually agreed upon matter.

Abstaining for a whole 24 hour long day which should be devoted to other thoughts anyway, should be mutually agreed? Perhaps in some extreme application of theory, but the debt isn't ATM-payable, there's a bit more finesse to it.

Let's look at the question through an analogy.

Would you feel right about having marital relations if your closest and best-loved relative (other than your spouse) were in the midst of suffering a terrible death? And right in your town where you could be with him/her? Can you picture yourself saying, "Oh, OK, we'll come over to the hospital a little later, after we have a roll in the hay."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.