Good Friday Liturgy

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the Liturgy for Good Friday. Here is my question.

This past Good Friday Liturgy, my priest said we had to use a plain, wooden cross for Veneration in the stead of the Crucifix. And then when I asked him about using a Crucifix for veneration, he said something like, “Oh no, Benedict would be upset about that.” What’s the deal? I always thought that a Crucifix, not a plain cross, was used for the veneration of the faithful on Good Friday.

Your thoughts? :coffeeread:

Our parish used a very plain wooden cross. I don’t know why a cross and not a crucifix, but it didn’t bother me at all to venerate a cross.

We used a crucifix, but I think either is acceptable. There was a discussion on this a while back: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=144084&highlight=veneration

It’s called “Veneration of the CROSS”. We sing “This is the wood of the cross”.

It seems that a plain cross would be preferable, although someone pointed out a document on this forum a while back that indicated that either is acceptable.

Since either is ACCEPTABLE, a liturgist may rightly make a plain cross their preference for the reasons I spoke of above.

Thank you all for your posts. :slight_smile:

I seem to think we did discuss this in Lent this year, try a quick search, bottom line, either is OK

This thread is ten years old. It is forbidden to post to dormant threads this old. The moderators ask that a new thread be begun when the thread is over six months old.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.