Good Friday prayer for the Jews

After Good Friday service yesterday I decided to brush up on the history of the “Good Friday prayer for the Jews”. A few key things I learned on Wikipedia (not news but interesting IMO) …

The old version:

Let us pray also for the faithless Jews: that almighty God may remove the veil from their hearts; so that they too may acknowledge Jesus Christ our Lord. Let us pray. Let us kneel. [pause for silent prayer] Arise. Almighty and eternal God, who dost not exclude from thy mercy even Jewish faithlessness: hear our prayers, which we offer for the blindness of that people; that acknowledging the light of thy Truth, which is Christ, they may be delivered from their darkness. Through the same our Lord Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.

On 21 March 1959, Pope John XXIII ordered that the word “faithless” (Latin: perfidis) be removed from the prayer for the conversion of the Jews,[12] actually interrupting the Service and asking the prayer to be repeated without that word.

In 1970 the prayer was rewritten thus:

Let us pray for the Jewish people, the first to hear the word of God, that they may continue to grow in the love of his name and in faithfulness to his covenant. (Prayer in silence. Then the priest says: ) Almighty and eternal God, long ago you gave your promise to Abraham and his posterity. Listen to your Church as we pray that the people you first made your own may arrive at the fullness of redemption. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_prayer_for_the_Jews

Big improvement!

I think we should have one for Muslims as well.

Why? What makes them so special that they can’t be covered under “For those who don’t believe in Christ?”

The only thing that sets Jews apart is the fact that the Jews held a true religion revealed by God, that Jesus himself was a Jew and that our religion is a direct offshoot of Judaism, and that they will have a major role to play in the end times.

Islam is just an odd monotheistic religion that doesn’t really tie in to the mysteries of salvation, so it doesn’t deserve any special mention outside the general prayer for the heathen.

Because they do believe in Christ. In Islam, Isa ibn Maryam (Arabic: عيسى بن مريم‎, translit. ʿĪsā ibn Maryām, lit. 'Jesus, son of Mary’‎), or Jesus, is understood to be the penultimate prophet and messenger of Allah (God) and al-Masih, the Arabic term for Messiah, the “Christ”, sent to guide the Children of Israel (banī isrā’īl in Arabic) with a new revelation: al-Injīl (Arabic for “the Gospel”). Jesus is believed to be a prophet, who neither married nor had any children, and is reflected as a significant figure, being mentioned in the Quran in 93 ayaat (Arabic for verses) with various titles attached such as “Son of Mary”, “Spirit of God”, and the “Word of God” among other relational terms, directly and indirectly, over 180 times. In total, Jesus is mentioned 187 times in the Quran as such the most mentioned person with the name Isa mentioned 25 times, in titles mentioned 79 times, in 3rd person mentioned 48 times, in 1st person mentioned 35 times

No, they don’t. The prayer for those “who don’t believe in Christ” is specific for those who don’t worship him. Muslims don’t, so they are covered by this prayer.

It’s time we stop cowtowing to Islam. Islam is large, but is no special religion. It’s nothing more than Christian heresy that spread violently throughout the world.

That said, we do mention the Muslims in a special prayer too: the Consecration to the Sacred Heart. We lump them with idolaters and pray for the release of those under its grip.

What makes Jews special over them? At least they acknowledge Jesus. Maybe they don’t worship him but he’s very important to them. Jesus to Jews is nothing more than a false messiah who Satan used to direct people from God. Muslims are amazing people. Just because some bad seeds make them look like bad people. There’s 2.3 Billion Christians in the world, 1.6 billion Muslims and 14 million Jews. I don’t know how Jewish people have so much influence when it has such small adherence. So why pray for them to begin with they don’t believe in Christ at all, Muslims do. They revere Mary, actually they burn candles for Mary. They believe in the second coming of Christ, I think we have just as much in common with Islam as we do Judaism honestly. Even if it is a heresy created by a false prophet; we still should pray for the brothers and sisters who worship the God of Abraham that they may come to know the truth in Christ.

But Hindus also have beliefs about Jesus.

Muslim belief about Jesus is false. Further, they came later than Christianity, as a heretical offshoot. They have been a false religion from the beginning.

The Jews are are more “special” than Muslims because their origins are not as a false religion; their revelation is based on truth, since God revealed himself to Abraham. We pray for them specially because they were a true religion that rejected Christ, leaving them in a shadow, rather than fulfillment. This leaves them in a state better than that of Muslims but less than that of Christians, who possess the fulfillment of the Jewish faith.

Muslims are sufficiently covered in the prayer for the heathen. There is no need to break the longstanding set of ten Great Intercessions, and for what? There is no need for yet prayer #11 for Muslims. Otherwise, you’ll have to have one for the Baha’i’s, Mormons, JW’s and all the other new fad religions out there.

Islam isn’t a “Christian heresy” because it isn’t Christian.

Oh for the love of… :shrug:

Is there really a need to have explain every single bit of phrasing on these boards?

Read Belloc. I’m too tired to have write a treatise on a two-word phrase.

Jesus is required in Islam. Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad are the five most important messengers of God in Islam. Hinduisms beliefs are just an after thought that have no doctrine but speculation or a possible scenario. Remember Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world practised with a huge amount of adherents. There beliefs about Jesus are tiny, little assertions. They may believe the Buddah is something as well. It’s different.
Nothing in any Hindu scripture mentions Jesus. Jesus is all over the Quran.

And remember when the angels said, “O Mary, God sends you the good news of a Command of His: his name shall be Messiah, Jesus son of Mary. He will be highly honored in this world and in the Next World and he will be among those favored by God. He will speak to the people alike when in the cradle and when grown up, and he will be among the righteous.” Hearing this, Mary said, “How, O Lord, shall I have a son, when no man has ever touched me?” "Thus shall it be,"44 was the answer. God creates whatever He wills. When He decrees a thing, He only says, “Be” and it is. (Continuing their message, the angels added,) “And God will teach him the Book and wisdom, and give him the knowledge of the Torah and the Gospel, and appoint him as His Messenger to the children of Israel.” Quran 3:45-49

The roots of Christianity are in Judaism so we feel a connection to the Jewish people and their religion. I don’t know how long the prayer for the Jews has been prayed on Good Friday, but Islam came along hundreds of years after Christ and the beginning of the Catholic church.

:clapping:

I see what you mean. But Islam is much older than the named religions you spoke of. Bahai and Ahnidiyyah are Muslim offshoots that Orthodox Muslims consider heresies. Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses are Christian offshoots that Orthodox Christians consider heresies. All of these offshoots came out of the 19th century. Islam came about some 600 years after the resurrection of Christ and I agree it is a false religion made by a false prophet who grew up in an area known that heretics were exiled too, which is why Islam has so many Gnostic similarities. However Christians, Muslims, and Jews have a long complex history, all claim Jerusalem as sacred, share the same prophets and stories and all trace their faith to Abraham. They worship the same God with a very different interpretation of the truth of God’s nature and being and truth. However we need to pray for them regardless. They do believe Jesus is the messiah aka Christ. They believe he will come on judgement day. They reject the crucifixion but believe he was taken into heaven like Elijah. And like Jews they believe in complete oneness of God. However even with the differences it’s still the same God.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.