Good Friday Traditions

No law against having 'em Saturday or Sunday (I know I will!)

Fasting. Full 24 hours since abstaining from meat is not a hardship as a vegetarian. I do get water and possibly a cup of tea with sugar if my blood sugar gets to low. Otherwise working on homework (it’s nice being able to focus without the opportunity to distract myself and have already completed one assignment) plus abstaining from two of my "fun’ websites for the day. I get to use CAF as my “distraction” for the day. Counting down to Easter Vigil since it’s my favorite Mass of the year.

I am very lucky this year – Just returned from loosing an 18-inch braid I’d been working on for 4 or 5 years. :eek:

:stuck_out_tongue:
tee

I had the hot cross buns. I purchased mine from a grocery store yesterday since I am not a baker. I always go to Good Friday service and Stations of the Cross at church. For the past 3 years, I have been saying the Divine Mercy Novena, so I started that on Good Friday also.

One barber in my neighbourhood is not open on Good Friday. He is an EMHC and reader at his parish and even if he is not scheduled to serve, he attends the service.

I’m sure other ethnic groups view cutting hair as a sign of grieving, but it was a very traditional thing to do on the reservation where I spent my childhood. We all got taken to the hairdresser or barber to get our hair cut on Good Friday by my sainted grandmother, who told us that we were cutting our hair to demonstrate our mourning for Jesus on the cross. We girls just got our hair trimmed, the boys really got it cut off. I don’t remember any mention on the part of grandma that it was supposed to be lucky.

I have a couple of Italian descent friends who followed this custom, too, as well as a friend who is a convert from Judaism.

I just got back from the hairdresser for a shampoo and trim. I was beginning to look a little overgrown here, anyways. But I always get my hair cut on Good Friday. Since I don’t believe in “luck,” “lucky charms,” or that kind of thing, I’ll just leave it the way grandma said, and enjoy the new trim.

A Catholic Church in my town does this hike around town saying the rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy to all of the Churches in town and each Church does a different thing, like a song or meditation and we also attend this Passion Play, and it ends with Veneration of the Cross and Communion Service. I’ve done it for 2 years. It’s pretty intense. I love it

-Jeanne

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.