Good Friday vestments

Hello,

I have a few questions about the vestments for Good Friday. I read somewhere that the vestments worn for a normal Mass should also be worn on Good Friday Liturgy…even though it is not a mass. My priest insists that it is a alb and stole only for clerics presiding over good friday services.

Could anyone please tell me what is correct. I would appreciate some documentation to “prove” which is the correct attire for presiders and deacons for Good Friday.

Both are actually correct, at least in the EF. According to the rubrics of the “revised” Holy Week Rites of 1955, alb, amice, cincture, and stole are worn (by the celebrant; if solemn, also the deacon but the subdeacon of course does not wear a stole) until the third part (Adoration of the Cross) when the celebrant dons a cope (and, if solemn, the deacon a dalmatic and subdeacon a tunic). At the 4th part (communion) the celebrant removes the cope and dons a chasuble.

I don’t know if this is specific enough for you. From the GIRM:

346. As to the color of sacred vestments, the traditional usage is to be retained: namely,

b. Red is used on Palm Sunday of the Lord’s Passion and on Good Friday, on Pentecost Sunday, on celebrations of the Lord’s Passion, on the feasts of the Apostles and Evangelists, and on celebrations of Martyr Saints.

You might read through the whole section on Sacred Vestments: GIRM 335-347

The service on Good Friday is not Mass, but it is still Liturgy.

This is not correct. The black cope/dalmatic/tunicle are worn for the second part, which is the solemn collects, and are removed for the veneration of the cross. In the last part, communion, violet vestments are put on.

The use of the word traditional is interesting here, since the use of red on Good Friday and at the Palm Sunday Mass dates only to the 1970 missal. :shrug: Prior to that it was black and violet, respectively.

Don’t look at me, I’m just the messenger. :wink:

Yes, I made an error. :o I’m working with a PDF copy and apparently I scrolled too quickly. The cope is indeed worn for the 2nd part, and removed again for the 3rd part.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.