Good inspirational books or just in general

Can anyone recommend any books to read pertaining to the Catholic Church? Or just any books in general for someone who is converting to read? Anything to help me with daily life subjects, becoming a better Catholic, family life stuff. Anything really.

Thanks and God Bless,
Paige :slight_smile:

For what you want, I would prefer Life of Saints. They are the best representation of what Jesus would look like if He were on Earth Today.

My favorite (not necessarily yours) saints:

[LIST]
*]Saint Paul: you may read the New Testament and His Letters and well as the Acts of the Apostles
*]St. Theresa of Avila - look for one of her works in the net.
*]St Theresa of the Little Jesus - read one of her writings
*]If the person you are talknig about is a man, then the Life of St. Francis Xavier and St. Damien
*]Life of the Mother Theresa of Calcutta
*]St. John of God-biography
*]St Benedict - Patron of europe- biography
*]St. Francis of Assisi
*]Life of an American Saint.
*]The martyrs of Nagasaqui
*]If you read Spanish, Fr. Pedro Arrupe, Este JapĂłn IncreĂ­ble, doctor, Jesuit, future Head of the Jesuits, was in Hiroshima when the 1st atomic bomb exploded. Amazing book.
[/LIST]

Enough to let others suggest too.

The Confessions of St. Augustine is a good one.

First:
Living the Catholic Faith: Rediscovering the Basics [Paperback]
***Charles J. Chaput (Author) Archbishop Denver *** [just recently assigned to Philadelphia]

amazon.com/Living-Catholic-Faith-Rediscovering-Basics/dp/156955191X

I really liked this book…its insightful, interesting and challenging in a very pastoral way.

Second:
**Christ, the Life of the Soul **
Abbot Columba Marmion

amazon.com/Christ-Life-Blessed-Columba-Marmion/dp/0972598154/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320453728&sr=1-1

This is a little more theological…easy to read and understand, but more meditative/reflective…but a real treasure for deepening your understanding and relationship in faith in Christ.

Third:
The Church on Earth: The Nature and Authority of the Catholic Church, and the Place of the Pope Within
Father Ronald A. Knox

amazon.com/Church-Earth-Nature-Authority-Catholic/dp/1928832830/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320453559&sr=1-1

A terrific small book on the Church…what it is and what it is not…by a holy and very gifted mind and very exceptional master writer. Father Knox was an Anglican priest convert so he really had to “wrestle” with what Christ founded and what Church did he found…and its true nature.

My links for your perusal are Amazon…but I strongly encourage you to go to your local Catholic bookstore…then Ignatius Press or another Catholic book press.

Hope this is helpful…food for consideration.
Pax Christi

For a really basic overview I would recommend Catholicism For Dummies by Fr John Trigilio and Fr Kenneth Brighenti.

*Catholic Christianity *by Peter Kreeft is another good one.

amazon.com/Catholic-Christianity-Complete-Catechism-Beliefs/dp/0898707986/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320543074&sr=1-5#_

The *Catechism of the Catholic Church *is excellect or if you like the Q@A format you might like The Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. If you are young or young at heart YouCat is for you. Don’t try to read the CCC from beginning to end; look at the index and choose topics in which you are interested.

Both the Catechism and the Compendium are online.

There are zillions of books out there which are or which claim to be Catholic. I have made some expensive mistakes and bought books which are not Faithful to the Magisterium and what I now do is to purchase from reliable publishers e.g. Ignatius, only buy books recommended by reliable publishers or blogs and then check out the reviews and “Look Inside” on Amazon.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I just finished reading God’s Doorkeepers. It’s about the lives of Solanus Casey, Andre Bessette and Padre Pio, and it was very good.

Any biographies about one of the saints would probably be most inspirational, as would Lives of the Saints, as mentioned above.

For light reading, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Living Catholic Faith is good, as is 101 Inspirational Stories of the Rosary.

Also The Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux.

Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales

Introduction to the devout life by St. Francis De Sales

As far as great authors:

Henri Nouwen

Fulton Sheen

Even though he wasn’t a Catholic- C.S. Lewis’ writings were predominantly very Catholic as a whole in his ideas.

John Michael Talbot

G.K. Chesterton

Are all authors that pop into my head.

When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings by Thomas H. Green, S.J. :slight_smile:

Some suggestions from some titles I’ve just finished:

Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Dr. Brandt Petre

The Crucified Rabbi by Taylor Marshall

A Catholic Perspective on Paul by Taylor Marshal

The World’s First Love by Bp. Fulton Sheen

Abandonment to the Divine Will by Fr. Jean Cusaud (spelling?)

Jesus Shock by Dr. Peter Kreeft

And of course part of my daily reading The Gospel according to St. John

Pax Domine sit semper vobiscum!

James Rogers

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.