Good luck charms or not?

I’ve heard that things like scapulars and miraculous medals are not good luck charms…the same with blessed objects, like rosaries. But why does it seem like thay are good luck charms or something to do with magic? They give grace or they can save you from hell if you wear it when you die or something like that.

Could someone please explain to me things like that?

And for me…If I were to wear something like a miraculous medal or a scapular, I would because, to be honest, some just look beautiful and also, they can be good reminders. Is this what they can be? reminders? reminders that God is with us, a reminder to pray etc.

You’re right! By its very nature, belief in “luck” negates one’s belief in an all-powerful God who granted us free will.

the same with blessed objects, like rosaries.

Right again. Even blessed objects do not become “lucky charms”. To make them such is to engage in the sin of superstition.

But why does it seem like thay are good luck charms or something to do with magic? They give grace or they can save you from hell if you wear it when you die or something like that.

Sacramentals (which such things as you’re explaining are called) can be powerful expressions of a person’s faith.
Take, for example, my personal favorite- the Miraculous Medal.
Now, by wearing it, I am expressing my faith in the following things:

1. The dogmatic truth of the Immaculate Conception of Mary
  2. The honor she deserves, as the first and most faithful of Jesus’ disciples
  3. that all her actions are devoted to bringing souls to a fuller love of Christ

The medal is a constant reminder of my faith in Christ, my trust in His Church, and my devotion to His mother.
This faith, trust, and love, as expressed by the wearing of the medal, has opened me up to graces and, in once case, a miracle, that I wouldn’t be open to if I lacked that faith, love, and trust.
It’s not the medal which “protects me” or “gave me graces”. But by wearing the medal devoutly I am saying to God that I am open to receive His graces. Kind of like hanging an “open to God” sign on my soul.

Or take holy water. Does it remove venial sin? It can- if used reverently. Are we told that the demonic flees from it? We are. But is it the water itself that is doing that? No. It is God, who created us as physical creatures, lovingly choosing to channel His grace through physical objects.

Could someone please explain to me things like that?

I hope I’ve helped.

And for me…If I were to wear something like a miraculous medal or a scapular, I would because, to be honest, some just look beautiful and also, they can be good reminders. Is this what they can be? reminders? reminders that God is with us, a reminder to pray etc.

Well, some sacramentals, such as the brown scapular, not everyone CAN wear. One has to be enrolled in order to wear it properly. Others, like the Miraculous medal, anyone can wear.

But yes, they are meant to be reminders. Reminders to put our faith in God, to pray without ceasing, to be instruments of His Will, and to trust in that Will. By doing all this, graces pour into us.

Feedmysheep has given you a great answer. Wearing or using sacramentals (blessed rosaries, medals, scapulars, etc.) is an “outward sign” of your “inward grace”–similar to real Sacraments. They don’t do anything of themselves, but they are reminders and signs of the person’s faith and prayers, and God’s grace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.