'Good Morning in Mass unnecessary' - Tagle

cbcpnews.com/cbcpnews/?p=37426

I agree.

But why stop there? In many cases, there is quite a lot of adlibbing about other extraneous matters during the Mass.

Teaching during Mass can take a roundabout route. We attended Mass in Orlando yesterday and the first thing that the priest said, after ‘Good morning’, was that there seemed to be many unfamilar faces and so it was his impression that a lot of visitors were attending. He asked those of us who were to their hands. Considering the location, it was not surprising to see many visitors attending. THEN came the lesson…that no matter how far we had traveled to meet here, we were all part of the body of Christ and that as it was Corpus Christi it was very fitting that we welcome each other into God’s House.

Sometimes, even Cardinals can be a stuffed shirt.

Perhaps this could have been more appropriately incorporated into the homily? I tend to agree with the the cardinal that the greeting “the Lord be with you” is paramount.

I am somewhat confused here. Is Cardinal Tagle talking about the priest saying “Good morning” within the context of the Mass? Or prior to the start of Mass? At most of the Masses I have been to recently at several different churches, it has been the norm for the presider to greet the congregation before the start of the Mass, welcome people (visitors, recent graduates, etc) and perhaps give an announcement or two. And then processing to the back of church to begin the Mass. I do not recall hearing anything like that once a Mass begins. Perhaps this is a habit that priests in the Phillippines (or a portion of it) have adopted.

Frankly, greeting those in the pews prior to the start adds to the communal feeling that should be a key part of participating in the Mass.

My pastor says “Good Morning,” or “Good Afternoon,” before beginning the Mass.

I guess the celebrant being friendly with the congregation is a problem for some. :shrug:

Jim

Is this really an issue for people? If so, why?

Because it’s jarring, tacky considering the circumstances, and aliturgical.

If someone wants to have a donut social after Mass, great, I’ll be there. No, really, I will.

One of the priests I know starts Mass with an announcement before the entrance hymn while he is standing at the doors: “Good morning and welcome to our celebration of the Eucharist for the X Sunday of Ordinary Time. Kindly open your missalettes to page XX and join in singing the entrance hymn.”

I much prefer this than having the priest process up to the altar while the entrance hymn is sung and then after saying “The Lord be with you” (“And with your spirit”) saying “Good morning, everyone!” (“good morning, Father!”) As if he hadn’t just greeted us with his previous words.:shrug:

I think Cardinal Tagle was referring to the one I bolded. I’ve assisted in a lot of Masses where the priest greets the congregation after the “Dominus vobiscum”.

I think the key words in the title of article is “in Mass”.

No, ‘being friendly’, isn’t a problem.

Tampering with liturgy, that’s a problem.

If the ONLY thing that your priest says outside the 2011 GIRM is an off-the-cuff’ Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening", count your blessings. And while since it is not part of what is supposed to be said (in a Mass setting that is supposed to be done by all English-speakers in the US, in order ‘that we be One’ instead of 'that we hear Masses in which Father X omits A, Father Y adds on B, C, and D, Father T omits A, adds B and D, and requires gesture P on top of it, because each priest feels it is ‘friendlier’, ‘more relevant’, ‘more suitable’, ‘what I have always done’, ‘the people like this better’, etc etc),. . .at least it’s just one little ‘extra’ couple of words.

You could find yourself in a parish which is the only one that you can possibly attend in which the priest ad libs the entire Mass because he is convinced that following the GIRM ‘inhibits’ the people from being ‘active participants’, plus this way he can incorporate bits from each Eucharistic Prayer and make the words more ‘regular’. Asking for the audience to ‘participate’ and telling jokes is meant to keep those ‘stuffed shirts’ from just ‘following’ without ‘thinking for themselves’, and to celebrate that “We are Church”, “We are Jesus”, "We are Sacrament’. And make no mistake, the priest is incredibly friendly. If Catholicism were simply about being ‘friendly’ to other people, he’d be an incredible gift. But since Catholicism is not simply about being friendly, and raising ‘being friendly and active’ to ‘The One Great Commandment’ is actually **denying the people the fullness and correctness of the Faith, **it’s really, ultimately, not ‘friendly’ at all.

It’s as though Catholicism were a clear stream of life-giving water found among a huge thicket of thorns. . .so that getting to the water took a great deal of time and patience to find a clear path, and even so, there would be bound to be some pains before one found ‘the water of life’. .

and people said, "Oh look, it’s just too much work and too much trouble and pain to get to that stream of water. Let’s make it better for people. Let’s make our own nice little stream over here in this shady, comfortable park. Let’s put in benches for people to rest. Let’s just use ‘plain tap water’ as the stream. After all, it’s all just water, right? And since our aim is to make people comfortable, surely God will make the water HERE just as ‘life giving’ as up in the other place. In fact, THIS water will probably be BETTER. I’ll bet God only had that first stream up there so that we (wonderful beings that we are) would quickly realize and make a stream that was better for people, easier to get to, no pain. . .In fact, if God had really intended that other stream to be the ONLY ‘life giving stream’, I would want no part of a SUPPOSEDLY good God who was **causing nice people pain just because they wanted to follow Him. "

**Again, I (and I believe most people) can ‘tolerate’ the occasional ‘veering’ from the GIRM. It is the constant ‘change’ which is always trotted out as being ‘friendly’ or ‘active participation’ or ‘the way WE do things in St Experimentus’ or "are you the liturgy police finding fault with tiny little changes? The priest has the RIGHT to do things his way, and nobody is having any trouble but YOU. . .'that’s the real problem.

I’m extremely traditional when it comes to liturgy, but this just seems petty.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.