Good News Bible

Hi,

The Good News Bible CE was mentioned on another thread… I happen to collect bibles and lots of times when I buy them I just sit them on a shelf. Anyway when this one was mentioned I retrieved it from the shelf. The full title is"Good News Bible with Deuteroncanonicals/Apocrypha and Lectionary guide. It has .the Imprimatur.

My question is–it is very easy to read and I was told that it is a thought for thought instead of a word for word translation. So can some one tell me some pros or cons about this bible? Would anyone recommend it?

I am currently using the Jerusalem Bible and the DR with Haydock commentary.

Thanks

Well I have one, and I like it. Its good just to read, or if your tired, or not feeling awake or well. Just because its so easy to read, and doesnt take much brain to understand. Its very nice. BUT if you are doing any sort of “studying” with in depth theology or history or ect, ont use this bible because its not word for word at all. Its good to meditate on, good to read, bad to study with. Very strong cons and pros, but I got one for free and im keeping it!

Are you speaking of the Good News Translation? If so, I avoid it solely for its translation of John 2:4 if nothing else.

John 2:1-4
Good News Translation (GNT)
The Wedding in Cana

2 Two days later there was a wedding in the town of Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine had given out, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They are out of wine.”

4 “You must not tell me what to do,” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.”

Are you kidding me? I have heard of agendas, but…

Thanks for this. I have not read it and will be very cautious when and if I do.

My sister was given a Good News bible at a TEC retreat. We were teenagers at the time, and when she got home she opened it up and read a passage out of it. What can I say, we found it ridiculous. One line in particular was “One day, Satan was mad.” :rolleyes:

So I would personally stay away from it, unless you ant a good chuckle. :stuck_out_tongue:

The GNB was written primarily for an audience with limited proficiency in reading English (either because English is not their first language, or they never learned to read beyond a basic level). It’s not a version for use by scholars.

I am far from a scholar but I do consider myself a serious bible student.
I appreciate all the input. Many thanks for the responses.

I have one and enjoy reading it. There have been times where I’ll read something over and over again in another translation, pick up the GNT-CE and …:newidea: …now I get it!

Like others have said, it’s nothing for in depth study, but for those of us who aren’t scholars it can be a nice change to read something at a level that common folks would speak/read. At least in the hard cover one I have, the pros are: there are lists in the back for the Sunday and weekday Mass readings, the paper isn’t see-thru thin, the font size is decent, and it isn’t so huge that you can’t sit in a chair and read it without something to prop it up. That’s my one big gripe about the Jerusalem Bible study edition, I’m either going to have to buy a stand or make one in order to read it.

I’m probably not as fussy as others. I look for the imprimatur first, then whichever one has the most features I’m looking for. :slight_smile:

My copy is the same as yours.

As far as the Jerusalem bible goes, I use it as my main bible along with the Haydock commentary.
My Jerusalem bible is leather bound and is very easily read without a “stand” I would guess that the one you have is a hard covered text book.

My Jerusalem bible originally had a leatherette or maybe a bonded leather soft cover that just became worn over the years so I had it rebound in leather. I love my old Jerusalem bible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.