Good News for Those who Need MM!

My sister lives in Arizona. She visited me last week and told me the good news:

The move to legalize Medical Marijuana in the state of Arizona has apparently been successful!! Voters appear to have approved the MM plan although final election results have not been released.

As I intend to move to Arizona because of health issues (most of which involve chronic pain) I could not be happier about this.

Kudos to those voters in Arizona who understand that MM should be legal!! Hopefully some judge will not automatically decide that the new law is unconstitutional and veto it (that seems to happen an awful lot). But even if the measure is snuffed out by a judge, the fact that the ballot measure has passed is a positive step.

"Medical Marijuana Implementation Plan:

November 15th, 2010…By now you probably know that Proposition 203, the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act appears to have passed after all (although the final determination will actually be made when the election is certified). The Act identifies the ADHS as the organization that’s responsible for carrying out the provisions of the law. There will be several teams of folks here at ADHS that’ll be working hard during the next 4 months or so as we set up the regulatory network."

directorsblog.health.azdhs.gov/?p=864

"In Arizona, under the ballot measure, licensed physicians would be able to recommend medical marijuana to patients with debilitating medical conditions, which include cancer, glaucoma, HIV/ AIDS, hepatitis C and Alzheimer’s disease. Other conditions can be added to the approved list by the state health department through a public-petition process.

Doctors must certify in writing the patient’s debilitating medical condition after assessing the patient’s medical history in “the course of a physician-patient relationship.”

[Arizona Department of Health Services Director Will] Humble said the new regulations would define what such a relationship entails.

**During the election campaign, one of the main points of dispute was whether patients could receive marijuana for claiming “chronic pain.”

According to Prop. 203, patients could qualify for medical marijuana if they have “a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces . . . severe and chronic pain.”;** Opponents of Prop. 203 have said this clause is a loophole non-qualifying patients would abuse to access marijuana."

azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/11/16/20101116arizona-medical-marijuana-program.html [bolding added]

As new information becomes available I will post it. I would also like to post a link to a thread discussing Medical Marijuana and the Church (although there have been no new posts added for quite some time, the thread is still open):

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=418550

:confused: As a M&M Michael McGreevy I thought this was all about me. Some good news about me Not needed back at work or something. Soo…you can imagine how disappointed I am.

lol :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.