Good opinion article on abstinence-only education

cruxmag.com/ProtectionfromWhat.htm

“Protection” from What?
Abstinence, fertility cycles, and sex education
by Kate Bluett

I committed the unpardonable sin. I knew before I started that I shouldn’t even have thought about it. Regardless, I kept thinking about it, and then I acted on it. And the further it went, the more I regretted it, but I couldn’t make it stop. It was too late. Mea culpa…

It’s not the worst of my sins, not by any measure. Nonetheless, it weighs on me. At least I’ll know better next time, right? That’s the great comfort in my mistakes: maybe, because I screwed up, someone else can learn without screwing up. They can take away the lesson without making the mistake. I can tell my story, like the Ancient Mariner to the Wedding Guest, and they’ll know not to shoot the albatross. Mea culpa…

I confess, and I am heartily sorry for it: I knowingly engaged people on the opposite side of the fence in a discussion about politics and abortion. Worse yet, they were family. But I saw the hole I was digging, and I jumped in anyway. Got buried in it, too. At least I’m still breathing; I can dig my way out. Mea maxima culpa.

The whole thing began during the election as an online debate over the candidates. One of the Bush policies that was a pro-Kerry point of contention was Bush’s support of Abstinence-Only sex ed. My relatives see AO as a foolish mode of mis-education, and that’s putting their sentiments mildly. Now, I’m not here to open up the AO vs. contraception education can of worms again. It’s just that something one of my cousins said is haunting me, and it’s playing out in the lives of some of my friends. If it weren’t for the dirt I’d swallow, I’d be screaming my head off over it. At least, in my hole in the ground, I can still type. The mistakes can’t be allowed to roam the surface of the earth, like Pandora’s vices set free…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.