Good place for lunch in Pittsburgh?

My friend and I will be passing through Pittsburgh on our way to Steubenville next Friday. We want to find someplace for lunch - someplace unique to Pbgh.

Suggestions??

Primanti’s :slight_smile:

There is one in Monroeville, which is about 10 miles east of Pittsburgh, and one in Pittsburgh (downtown). A few others here/there, but I’m not 100% sure of locations. I’ve only eaten at the downtown one and the Monroeville one.

If neither of you are familiar with the area, if you are coming turnpike and passing Monroeville, that would be the easier of the two I know of to get to. You would get off the turnpike, onto business 22 toward Monroeville, and stay on 22 for about a mile or two and it’s on the right up a bit from an intersection near an Extended Stay America hotel.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread - if this is the route you’d be coming, let me know and I can give you more specific landmarks/directions as far as how many lights you’ll go through, where to turn, etc. :slight_smile:

We’re coming from I-70 to I-376/ US22.

I am hoping for other suggestions as well. I have heard of Primanits; I’m on Weight Watchers, and it doesn’t seem WW friendly. :stuck_out_tongue: (which I realize I did not mention in my initial post…) I’m not looking for salad, but something relatively healthy and typically PBGH.

It’s definitely not, but it’s the most typical “Pittsburgh” place to eat. I would try to go to the one in the Strip District (near Downtown) if you’re going, though it’s not really on your route, but not far either. You can take the 2nd Ave exit off 376 and kind of loop back up through town; traffic shouldn’t be bad at that time of day, I don’t think.

The Strip District in general would be awesome; I’d say a fish sandwich at Wholey’s, or something at Pamela’s or De Luca’s, or even just go to Mancini’s and get a pepperoni roll, or Penn Mac and pick up a few nibbles for in the car. Or Penn Ave Fish Company has some lighter options, too. :thumbsup:

Anyplace where the Pirates are playing. For the first time since the time of Jesus, they have a winning team!

Go dahn tahn and get a sammich n'at at Primantis! Hope yinz guys have a good time!

Don’t know if this violates forum rules, but if you check two websites - chowhound and yelp - you should get more recommendations than you can shake a stick at.:slight_smile:

Yeah what they said n’at!

Sooo true! LOL

Which, of course, made me think of another place. LOL

If you have a little time and want a bit of a scenic tour while on lunch, head down to the North Shore and eat at Jerome Bettis’ restaurant. It’s near both Heinz Field and PNC Park, and there’s a path down below along the river that you can walk.

If you are looking for the best pizza around–Milano’s across the street from the Consol Arena!
They have other locations in Pittsburgh, but I can personally vouch for that one. :smiley: Yeah, i’ve been there a “few” times… :rolleyes: But I do second the Primanti’s suggestion too.

If you want something a little more diet friendly and Pittsburghish, you might want to try Eat N’Park. Get a grilled chicken or steak salad, and don’t forget the Smiley cookies!

[quote="PatriceA, post:11, topic:249491"]
If you want something a little more diet friendly and Pittsburghish, you might want to try Eat N'Park. Get a grilled chicken or steak salad, and don't forget the Smiley cookies!

[/quote]

Although I don't eat chicken anymore I do love the buffalo chicken salad!

I think it will either be Primanti or Penn Ave Fish Co. Will put both in the GPS and see what strikes our fancy on Friday! :thumbsup:

By the way, how do you pronounce Primanti? My husband says it's "per-man-ee". It looks like "pri -mon- tee".

We like Lulu's noodles a lot. It's Chinese food. It's in Oakland, a very short walk from the Cathederal. Excellent food.

[quote="KCT, post:13, topic:249491"]
I think it will either be Primanti or Penn Ave Fish Co. Will put both in the GPS and see what strikes our fancy on Friday! :thumbsup:

By the way, how do you pronounce Primanti? My husband says it's "per-man-ee". It looks like "pri -mon- tee".

[/quote]

I think it's pri-man-tee, but I grew up outside of the burgh, so what do I know!

Yes, it's Pri-man-tee, I believe. However, although I am from western PA, I am not from the Burgh itself. I may be wrong.

The way everyone says it here does sound a lot like “per-man-ee’s.” As in, “Yinz goin dahn Permanee’s for a sammich?” :thumbsup:

:smiley:

We might end up by passing Pittsburgh and taking route 68 instead. All that thinking about Primanti for nothing . . .

Now it looks like lunch in Washington, PA. :shrug:

BOO!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Go to Chowhound.com and find the Pittsburgh board. That’s where the foodies post.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.