Good Prayers/Verses to Deal With Fear and Paranoia?

Lately, I have been having random attacks of absolute fear and paranoia. Sometimes after reading something, or seeing something, but sometimes these panic attacks come from out of the blue. My mind often goes off on multiple tangents when my paranoid train of thought starts, so my panic only increases. I used to recite the Lord’s Prayer in my mind until I calmed down, but lately it hasn’t been working. Do you have any verses or prayers I could look at the next time I start panicking?

The Hail Mary is wonderful! :smiley:

Also:

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle
be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil
may God rebuke him we humbly pray
and do thou O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God
cast into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls, amen.

Angel of God, who are my guardian,
to whom merciful God entrusted me
enlighten and keep me this day,
guard and lead me, amen.

:hug1:

The Memorare of St. Bernard:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that any one who fled to
thy protection, implored thy help, and sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with
this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee I come; before thee I
stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but, in
thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

From St. Teresa of Avila:

Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing frighten you.
All things pass.
God does not change.
Patience achieves everything.
Whoever has God lacks nothing.
God alone suffices.

Christ has no body on earth now but yours;
no hands but yours;
no feet but yours.
Yours are the eyes
through which the compassion of Christ
must look out on the world.
Yours are the feet
with which he is to go about doing good.
Yours are the hands
with which he is to bless his people.

(Emphasis on the first part for when you are having your attacks.)

– Cadian :knight1:

Thank you all and God Bless. These are all very helpful, especially yours, Cadian.

[quote=Cadian]Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing frighten you.
All things pass.
God does not change.
Patience achieves everything.
Whoever has God lacks nothing.
God alone suffices.
[/quote]

This nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; he maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his name sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Dominus pascit me, et nihil mihi deerit: in pascuis virentibus me collocavit, super aquas quietis eduxit me, animam meam refecit. Deduxit me super semitas iustitiae propter nomen suum. Nam et si ambulavero in valle umbrae mortis, non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es. Virga tua et baculus tuus, ipsa me consolata sunt. Parasti in conspectu meo mensam adversus eos, qui tribulant me; impinguasti in oleo caput meum, et calix meus redundat. Etenim benignitas et misericordia subsequentur me omnibus diebus vitae meae, et inhabitabo in domo Domini in longitudinem dierum.

‘I see that the sweet God is so solicitous for the welfare of the soul, that no human being could have a like anxiety to gain the whole world even if he were certain to obtain it by his efforts; when behold the love he displays in providing us with all possible aids to lead us into heaven, I am, as it were, forced to say that this sweet Master appears as if he were our servant. If man could see the care which God takes of a soul, nothing more would be necessary to amaze and confound him than to consider that this glorious God, in whom all things have their being, should have so great a providence over his creatures; yet we, to whom it is a matter either of salvation or damnation, hold it in light esteem.’

St. Catherine of Genoa

‘In all your affairs lean solely on God’s Providence, by means of which alone your plans can succeed. Meanwhile, on your part work on in quiet co-operation with Him, and then rest satisfied that if you have trusted entirely to Him you will always obtain such a measure of success as is most profitable for you, whether it seems so or not to your own individual judgment.’

‘Anxiety arises from an unregulated desire to be delivered from any pressing evil, or to obtain some hoped-for good. Nevertheless nothing tends so greatly to enhance the one or retard the other as over-eagerness and anxiety. Birds that are captured in nets and snares become inextricably entangled therein, because they flutter and struggle so much. Therefore, whensoever you urgently desire to be delivered from any evil, or to attain some good thing, strive above all else to keep a calm, restful spirit, - steady your judgment and will, and then go quietly and easily after your object, taking all fitting means to attain thereto. By easily I do not mean carelessly, but without eagerness, disquietude or anxiety; otherwise, so far from bringing about what you wish, you will hinder it, and add more and more to your perplexities. “My soul is always in my hand, yet do I not forget Thy Law,” David says. Examine yourself often, at least night and morning, as to whether your soul is “in your hand;” or whether it has been wrested thence by any passionate or anxious emotion. See whether your soul is fully under control, or whether it has not in anywise escaped from beneath your hand, to plunge into some unruly love, hate, envy, lust, fear, vexation or joy. And if it has so strayed, before all else seek it out, and quietly bring it back to the Presence of God, once more placing all your hopes and affections under the direction of His Holy Will. Just as one who fears to lose some precious possession holds it tight in his hand, so, like King David, we ought to be able to say, “My soul is always in my hand, and therefore I have not forgotten Thy Law.”’

St. Francis de Sales

Canticle of Simeon
Nunc Dimittis

Now thou dost dismiss thy servant, O Lord, according to thy word in peace;
Because my eyes have seen thy salvation,
Which thou hast prepared before the face of all peoples:
A light to the revelation of the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

Nunc dimittis servum tuum, Domine
Secundum verbum tuum in pace:
Quia viderunt oculi mei salutare tuum
Quod parasti ante faciem omnium populorum:
Lumen ad revelationem gentium,
Et gloriam plebis tuae Israel.

My favorite is "Be still and know that I am God"
Psalm 46 v. 10

Best wishes,
Jon

I have fear and paranoia too - i literally just fight it "in the name of jesus, go away!"
it works for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.