Good Reason to Use Latin

Without debating the use of NO or TLM, I was struck by the funeral of JP the Great. All those people from across the world speaking different languages but having Latin in common as a liturgical language. I wonder how many of the young people had ever been exposed to enough Latin to be able to respond to the prayers (e.g. Te rogamus audi nos) or to be able to do something basic such as chanting the Pater Noster. I think we may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater at least here in America. Any thoughts?

[quote=brotherhrolf]Without debating the use of NO or TLM, I was struck by the funeral of JP the Great. All those people from across the world speaking different languages but having Latin in common as a liturgical language. I wonder how many of the young people had ever been exposed to enough Latin to be able to respond to the prayers (e.g. Te rogamus audi nos) or to be able to do something basic such as chanting the Pater Noster. I think we may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater at least here in America. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

CHRISTOS ANESTI!!!

AND LOOK AT ALL THOSE BISHOPS AT THE END AT THE MEMORIAL SERVICE SPEAKING ALL DIFFERENT LANGUAGES AND USING GREEK AND ARAMAIC AS A COMMON LITURGICAL LANGUAGE!!! AMAZING!!!

After all Latin is the official language of the
Roman Rite—why toss it out .

Would the Greek Orthodox get rid of Greek ?

Learning Latin is on my list of things I would love to accomplish. As a child of VII, I sometime really feel cheated out of my heritage by never being taught Latin.

[quote=brotherhrolf]Without debating the use of NO or TLM, I was struck by the funeral of JP the Great. All those people from across the world speaking different languages but having Latin in common as a liturgical language. I wonder how many of the young people had ever been exposed to enough Latin to be able to respond to the prayers (e.g. Te rogamus audi nos) or to be able to do something basic such as chanting the Pater Noster. I think we may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater at least here in America. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Abandoning Latin was an unqualified disaster. It’s a bit like no longer requiring mathematics of physics students. What sort of ‘physics’ would you be left with?

I love Latin not only because it’s the language of the Church, but of the saints. Can you imagine being able to converse with St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Therese?

[quote=Lurch104]Learning Latin is on my list of things I would love to accomplish. As a child of VII, I sometime really feel cheated out of my heritage by never being taught Latin.
[/quote]

I found this program for my kids called “Latin’s Not So Tough”. It is meant for children, but I’m having lots of fun learning along with them. The company has a book and you can purchase a CD with all of the pronunciations on it. Note: If anyone is interested in this program, Book One is extremely easy, and the company recommends older students start with Level 2 or 3. We’re using Level 2 and it is quite easy for an adult, but it sure is making the learning of Latin a breeze for me!

Here’s a link:
greeknstuff.com/latin.html#LATIN

Aunt Martha

There’s also the Oxford Latin Course, which we have, but will wait to use until the kids are older. You can buy it used from Amazon.com:

amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%2526field-keywords%3Doxford%2520latin%2520course%2526results-process%3Ddefault%2526dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Fov%5Ftops-1%5Fstripbooks%5F4301645%5F1/002-1309201-0653666

Aunt Martha

Universities around here still put Latin in most if not all humane arts courses. I do some tutoring from time to time.

It’s not like I know mass responses, but I should be able to chant pater noster without forcing everything what lives out of the town. :smiley:

[quote=tom.wineman]After all Latin is the official language of the
Roman Rite—why toss it out .

Would the Greek Orthodox get rid of Greek ?
[/quote]

CHRISTOS ANESTI!

AND GREEK AND ARAMAIC AND CHURCH SLAVONIC ARE ALSO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH…

Why were dignitaries seated according to their country’s name in French?

Latin or Italian, I could understand but why French?

I know it used to be the Court language of most royal houses, but it seems hardly appropriate at the Vatican; no?

Alithos anesti! - Patchunky. I’m with you. We still have the Kyrie but it would be nice to add some of those wonderful Eastern chants.

Tom: French was the official language of diplomacy. It still may be altho English seems to be becoming the lingua franca.

[quote=Lurch104]Learning Latin is on my list of things I would love to accomplish. As a child of VII, I sometime really feel cheated out of my heritage by never being taught Latin.
[/quote]

We’ve just started Homeschooling Latin with "English from the Roots up"
Easy flashcards and pretty cheap.
My 7 & 5 year olds are learning with mom and Dad!

Knowing the Latin Mass has been a real help for me. I travel internationally for business.

Finding a local Latin Mass (either N.O. or TLM) mean I can actually actively participate even if I don’t know the vernacular.

amen, it was great, and since our pastor makes sure we use a lot of Latin, especially in Lent and Advent, the kids were thrilled that they understood it.

Latin was called the Language of Learning. I grew up in a Latin Mass prior to Vatican II, and I had Latin in the 7th & 8th grades. My Latin has deteriorated to counting to ten because of the lack of usage.

The Tridentine Mass helped a lot of kids learn Latin and then understand the need for it. It also helped to learn a second language by saying a Mass in Latin. I can never understand the logic behind getting rid of it in Mass. One has to hunt down a Latin Mass nowadays.

[quote=TomK]Why were dignitaries seated according to their country’s name in French?

Latin or Italian, I could understand but why French?

I know it used to be the Court language of most royal houses, but it seems hardly appropriate at the Vatican; no?
[/quote]

French continues to be the language most understood in the world.

Many years,

Neil

[quote=Irish Melkite]French continues to be the language most understood in the world.

[/quote]

Actually I don’t believe that is so true anymore and the reason the Vatican uses it is because French is (or was) the official language of diplomacy and the seating plans in the Vatican diplomatic service are ----well very diplomatic.

[quote=AuntMartha]I found this program for my kids called “Latin’s Not So Tough”. It is meant for children, but I’m having lots of fun learning along with them. The company has a book and you can purchase a CD with all of the pronunciations on it. Note: If anyone is interested in this program, Book One is extremely easy, and the company recommends older students start with Level 2 or 3. We’re using Level 2 and it is quite easy for an adult, but it sure is making the learning of Latin a breeze for me!

Here’s a link:
greeknstuff.com/latin.html#LATIN

Aunt Martha
[/quote]

Ack! I made the mistake of buying book one!
25.00 down the drain.
I have to get the next set!

[quote=netmilsmom]Ack! I made the mistake of buying book one!
25.00 down the drain.
I have to get the next set!
[/quote]

Oh, too bad. If this was a recent purchase, maybe they might let you exchange it? You know, if you explained you bought the wrong level?

Actually, I just now took a look at the return policy. If it’s less than 90 days and in good condition, they will accept a return, although there is a re-stocking fee:
greeknstuff.com/returnpolicy.html

Otherwise, if you find a homeschool group in your area, there may be a family intereted in buying it from you. Or someone from your church who has kids. Or e-Bay!!

Aunt Marha

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.