Good Scripture for not blaming God?

Hello! I want to send my Dad some scripture verses (whether it’s a direct command or parable) about not blaming God for every little thing going on in your life. That some things just happen that aren’t necessarily because of God. (This is a long story…but) He typically blames God for things going wrong such as the fact that it took almost 2 years to rebuild his house after it burned down. When in reality, it took my dad 2 years to decide what kind of house he wanted to build. He is married to my stepmom who currently lives in Georgia. He blames God that she hasn’t moved out to Texas yet when it is really due to financial decisions that they made. It has to do with choices that he is making, not God. Anyway, I don’t really want to get into that,but I would really appreciate it if you had some verses that would encourage my Dad to remember that we humans have consequences for our own actions and it isn’t always God moving a chess piece on a board.

God Bless,

Jessica

I found a good one (or a friend sent it to me this morning…random)

Jeremiah 29: 11-12

For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope.
When you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you.

I can’t help providing some zingers from scripture that are guaranteed to give your father a change of heart.

Those are tough problems he is facing, but everyone faces problems like these and yet even much worse ones. He seems to need some general evangelizing, not just a spritual vaccination, so to speak.

Everyone’s life is hard, period. We take this as a result of original sin, which we all inherit.

It may seem like an unfair trick, but God is testing our faithfulness. There’s many ways to express this in scripture. But, in the NT, St. Paul says, be satisfied with what you have.

Others will always be smarter, more athletic, more endowed with all kinds of gifts. God wants us to prove our faithfulness with what we have.

Deut 6,4 ff Hear O Israel, the LORD is God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

The commentators say this list proceeds from the relatively easy and then gets harder. To love God with all our heart is relatively easy to say when we feel holy, for example. But, then the verse goes on to say to love God with all our soul – which is interpreted to mean to love our God even to the point of death. And, then to love God with all our strength mean to love God even to the sacrificing of all we possess, even our family and all of our possessions.

That little section in Deuteronomy says that we should teach this lesson to our children, and to put in ON their hearts. With God’s help, the lesson will be IN their hearts as long as they live.

Instead of just presenting various verses to your father, my suggestion is you ask him to prayerfully read the Book of Job.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.