Good Study Bible

Hello everyone, Im not sure if this is the right spot for this, but what is a good study bible with slighly more orthodox commentaries? The study bibles I have all have very liberal arguments for dates of books, and it would be nice to find one that gave arguments for earlier dates etc (such as problems with JEPD hypothesis). This is not to say that I disagree with such interpretation, but it would be nice to have both sets of arguments and be able to deside the merits for myself, without having to spend hours scouring the internet looking.

Many thanks to you all!

Catholic Scripture Study International is excellent.
Have used it many times. About a 30 week process. Wonderful materials.
You just need a good facilitator. :thumbsup:

The Didache Bible (Ignatius Bible edition) may be what you’re looking for. It’s not the most conservative with dates (particularly the OT, but thankfully it places the synoptic Gospels all before 70 AD, for example) and it has orthodox commentary based on the Catechism. Even for the OT/Pentateuch dating, it presents it in a conservative way. The pros here is that it’s complete, affordable, and not too big. They have a NABRE version, too, and this comes with the NABRE notes in addition to the Didache notes. The NABRE notes are less orthodox.

The Ignatius Study Bible strikes me as very conservative and orthodox. I love it, but it’s incomplete. They’ve released the full new testament in one edition, and some OT books individually. I would strongly recommend this. The only downside is that it’s not done.

The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture is also good. It’s not the full Bible yet, though, and each book’s commentary is sold individually.

I have personally used the above three recommendations (at least in part, so far). I myself am also interested in the Navarre Bible (a multi-volume work which will require some $$$). Many people also love the Haydock commentary on the Douay-Rheims. It should be very Orthodox, though some of the 19th century commentary takes a view that the Bible teaches science, which the Church does not hold. This commentary is available for free online athttp://haydock1859.tripod.com.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.