Google/Divine Mercy Sunday

Hello,
Does anyone know what is going on? I have Googled "Divine Mercy Sunday" several times today and most of the Websites are fake and will attack your computer!! Now there is a warning at the top of SOME of them that say "this site may harm your computer" but the links are still up. Page after page of links are computer attacks! What the heck is going on?!!

Wow!! Haven't tried to google it today.....what the heck IS going on??? Hopefully there might be someone here with some logical answers.:confused:

Huh :confused: I just did and the links all seem ok...

It is called cyberwarfare, and I have encountered it while seeking out Catholic websites many times. In fact, my computer wound up becoming infected once before I learned to be circumspect. The enemies of Christ are a sophisticated bunch, and they are fully engaged right now. Be careful. They are ruthless.

Are you sure you are spelling it right or something? I googled it and everything was fine, a couple links to ewtn, divinemercysunday.com, wikipedia, looks fine. :shrug:

I googled the same phrase. The first page of links were all safe (except for one), however, the second page of results was full of sites flagged as potentially unsafe. Approximately half of the third page were suspect links.

My guess is that some hackers like to target Christians.

Okay everyone take off the victim hats. Sometimes websites have a cookie on them, that makes it easier to reload at future visits, that can set off virus warnings.

Not to say some target Catholic sites, just as some target Pagan, Buddhist and other sites. But chances are that’s your problem.

I had to try too.
I use 'All the Web' rather than 'Google'. All the sites I was directed to were ligit.

If you use google, make sure you see that the search results have a green checkmark. Google crawls the pages ahead of time and sees if there is any bad stuff (viruses, malware, etc.)

Yes, Google will give a warning if it senses malware on a site, but its warning is in words: “This site may harm your computer.”

I remember the green check mark from when I used AVG as my anti-virus program. Now that I have switched programs… no more check marks. :o

Ah, another good reason to have AVG anti-virus (its free too) :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m spelling it right. I just tried again, the first page has legit websites (EWTN, etc.) but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th…etc. are still computer attacks. You can recognise them by looking at the web address, they all seem to say something like… “divine%20mercy%20sunday” at the end of the address. I see that, as time goes by, the legit websites are on the first page again and the fake websites are after. If you notice, the fake once all have a time on them…yesterday they all said “1 hour ago” and they were on the first page, now they say “19 hours ago” . So someone was deliberately causing this on Divine Mercy Sunday. Just see for yourself.

This is only on Google as far as I am aware. I haven’t tried other search engines.

Just beware.

Peace!

get a MAC...LOL

:thumbsup:

Make ad-aware your friend. I hope that isn't advertising. As i have no connection to the company. And other mal ware removers are good too. It's just that's the product that has served me well for years.

[quote="latin_rite, post:14, topic:194381"]
Make ad-aware your friend. I hope that isn't advertising. As i have no connection to the company. And other mal ware removers are good too. It's just that's the product that has served me well for years.

[/quote]

What does that mean? If I had ad-aware those sites wouldn't come up?? Sorry, I'm not familiar with ad ware or mall ware.

[quote="sseason, post:15, topic:194381"]
What does that mean? If I had ad-aware those sites wouldn't come up??

[/quote]

I don't think so. I have Ad-aware and have been a user of it for many years. Its good at many things, but I wouldn't rely on it as a bullet proof vest to protect you at sites flagged by Google as unsafe. And, yes, those unsafe sites will still turn up in your Google search.

It was really in response to the poster who was talking about websites putting cookies on your computer. You will still get those pop ups and you should really take notice of them.
But if you haven’t got any malware protection. I would suggest you get some. There are good free ones. You can get ad-aware for free. If you get it downloaded. You will notice how much faster your comp runs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.