Google's "it's good to be gay" tv commercial?

Saw a television spot for "google" on NBC on Thurs 5/12 during "The Office". It was a 60-second commercial with a pro-gay "it gets better" theme, featuring video bites of various gay individuals, gay couples, gay couples with kids and gay couples pecking on the lips. This must be the home stretch in the campaign to make homosexuality mainstream and "normal".

I didn't see the commercial, but it seems to be part of an anti-bullying campaign.
itgetsbetter.org/

The campaign was started after a columnist became alarmed over repeated news of teen suicides following bullying. The idea behind the project is to let teens know that, after the school years are done, life gets better so they shouldn't lose hope.

Considering the main focus of the campaign is helping teenagers with same sex attractions deal with the harassment they are very likely to receive from their peers I don't really see much wrong with it.

[quote="PatrickSebast, post:3, topic:240177"]
Considering the main focus of the campaign is helping teenagers with same sex attractions deal with the harassment they are very likely to receive from their peers I don't really see much wrong with it.

[/quote]

I haven't seen the commercial. But my opinion is its right to protect those who are abused, but its still wrong to promote a morally incorrect lifestyle. Some people think the only way to protect those abused is to promote their morally incorrect lifestyle. I would oppose it if that was the case. We can defend gays from being bullied without having to accept their lifestyle.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:4, topic:240177"]
I haven't seen the commercial. But my opinion is its right to protect those who are abused, but its still wrong to promote a morally incorrect lifestyle. Some people think the only way to protect those abused is to promote their morally incorrect lifestyle. I would oppose it if that was the case. We can defend gays from being bullied without having to accept their lifestyle.

[/quote]

This is the video: youtube.com/watch?v=7skPnJOZYdA

I don’t think “It’s good to be gay” is the most accurate description of the commercial.

I get what they’re trying to do: encourage kids who may feel isolated and hopeless. That’s a good end that they’re aiming for. It isn’t quite the way I would go about it, and it’s not a commercial I would want my young children seeing, though.

[quote=PatrickSebast]Considering the main focus of the campaign is helping teenagers with same sex attractions deal with the harassment they are very likely to receive from their peers I don’t really see much wrong with it.
[/quote]

I’m somewhere between these two. There needs to be more messages out there to the victims of bullying to let them know they aren’t alone, they are supported, and it gets better. But, what these people fail to see, is that people are bullied for anything and everything - gays are just getting the forefront of the media attention.

I don’t like, however, the fact that ads like this only continue this "us vrs. them: mentality in the “battle for gay rights.” It’s starting to cross into “if you think being gay is bad/wrong, then you are a bullying homophobe.”

The truth is, we can all agree that bullying is wrong. We can all agree that these kids being bullied need to be reached out to, regardless of why they are being bullied. I remember I was bullied pretty bad in high school for being a christian, and for wearing exceptionally modest clothing. When I tried to ask for help from other teachers, I was not supported because being a christian is somehow wrong. I only got support from my church.

Even this campaign for anti-bullying is politicized and ads like this make it worse. If you are against homosexuality, even if you keep it to yourself, you are bullied. If someone in school catches you praying before a meal or making the sign of the cross, you are bullied. It is only called “bullying” and kids are only given support if those things they are being bullied for is conducive to the beliefs of the support staff. A modern example is an issue I have with a friend of mine. I had a rosary in my car hanging from my rearview mirror. I have been repeatedly run off the road, tailgated, honked at, and just had rudeness of the road. When I took it down, it immediately stopped. I recently put it back up and I have started having problems again. When I was venting to my non-christian friend about how much I dislike the hateful bigots in this world she actually defended them and said the problem was MY problem. Why? She agrees with the basic viewpoints of the jerks running me off the road. Imagine what adults are doing to the kids who are being bullied for (in their eyes) the “right reasons.”

THIS is one of the MANY reasons I am going to be a teacher. ALL kids need support, not just the gays and atheists.

(p.s. Sorry for the book. You can tell this is an issue that I feel strongly about)

No question, suicidal gay teens need a support system or an organization to call to help them get through their most depressing moments. I suppose it would have been too much to expect NBC to solicit a ‘competing’ advertiser that sends the same message but does not come across as promoting homosexuality, as this Google TV commercial does. But then, which organization can compete with Google’s financial resources?

The spokesperson in the commercial is Dan Savage. He is a homosexual activist, media pundit and advice columnist (of Savage Love column of a Seattle weekly newspaper). He certainly does more than reach out to troubled gay teens. He promotes homosexuality big time. To get a flavor just how outrageous he can be, just call up Savage Love on the Internet and read a sampling of his advices. He is on wiki, as well, from which the following paragraph is attributed to him:

On Family and marriage
Savage's home state of Washington allows same-sex couples to adopt children and enter civil unions, but does not legally recognize same-sex marriage. In March 2004, Savage wrote about an action that he took to highlight what he saw as being indicative of same-sex couples' lack of legal right to marry. After his co-worker Amy Jenniges was denied a license to marry her girlfriend Sonia, Jenniges and Savage obtained a license to marry one another. He wrote at the time, "We emphasized to the clerk and her manager that Amy and I don't live together, we don't love each other, we don't plan to have kids together, and we're going to go on living and sleeping with our same-sex partners after we get married. So could we still get a marriage license?" According to Savage, the license-department manager replied, "Sure. If you've got $54, you can have a marriage license."

Savage and his husband, Terry, have one adopted son, D.J.,and were married in Vancouver, BC in 2005.
To say that he is over the top is an understatement.

[quote="Whitacre_Girl, post:7, topic:240177"]
I'm somewhere between these two. There needs to be more messages out there to the victims of bullying to let them know they aren't alone, they are supported, and it gets better. But, what these people fail to see, is that people are bullied for anything and everything - gays are just getting the forefront of the media attention.

I don't like, however, the fact that ads like this only continue this "us vrs. them: mentality in the "battle for gay rights." It's starting to cross into "if you think being gay is bad/wrong, then you are a bullying homophobe."

The truth is, we can all agree that bullying is wrong. We can all agree that these kids being bullied need to be reached out to, regardless of why they are being bullied. I remember I was bullied pretty bad in high school for being a christian, and for wearing exceptionally modest clothing. When I tried to ask for help from other teachers, I was not supported because being a christian is somehow wrong. I only got support from my church.

Even this campaign for anti-bullying is politicized and ads like this make it worse. If you are against homosexuality, even if you keep it to yourself, you are bullied. If someone in school catches you praying before a meal or making the sign of the cross, you are bullied. It is only called "bullying" and kids are only given support if those things they are being bullied for is conducive to the beliefs of the support staff. A modern example is an issue I have with a friend of mine. I had a rosary in my car hanging from my rearview mirror. I have been repeatedly run off the road, tailgated, honked at, and just had rudeness of the road. When I took it down, it immediately stopped. I recently put it back up and I have started having problems again. When I was venting to my non-christian friend about how much I dislike the hateful bigots in this world she actually defended them and said the problem was MY problem. Why? She agrees with the basic viewpoints of the jerks running me off the road. Imagine what adults are doing to the kids who are being bullied for (in their eyes) the "right reasons."

THIS is one of the MANY reasons I am going to be a teacher. ALL kids need support, not just the gays and atheists.

(p.s. Sorry for the book. You can tell this is an issue that I feel strongly about)

[/quote]

Where do you live that people mistreat you for having a rosary in your rear view mirror. I have had one in my car since I have been driving and never heard a peep about it.

[quote="PatrickSebast, post:9, topic:240177"]
Where do you live that people mistreat you for having a rosary in your rear view mirror. I have had one in my car since I have been driving and never heard a peep about it.

[/quote]

One of the most liberal areas of one of the most liberal states. A common bumper sticker around here is: "I DO support marriage equality!" and "Keep your rosaries off my ovaries."

Yeah....

Hello All,

After viewing the commercial I was immediately appalled. Especially when I saw the Toy Story "Woody" character on the commercial.

I initially thought it was also a "It's good to be gay" commercial, but after doing a bit of research I understand the "It's getting better" campaign is about anti-bullying.

I am concerned about the real intentions of the person who began this campaign Dan Savage. He works for an on-line blog called the Slog. Here is a link to one of his blogs.

slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/11/04/the-catholic-church-vs-gay-equality

By reading all of the comments many of his followers on the blog are anti-Catholic or anti-Christian.

I am weary to support this campaign and will no longer use Google in any form on my PC or phone. Trust me this is hard to do.

As Catholics we should denounce any form of bullying or violence against the weak of our society. But we should not support acceptance of immoral lifestyles.

This commercial seems to push the envelope into acceptance of the gay lifestyle rather than anti-bullying awareness.

What do you all think?

[quote="itapp, post:1, topic:240177"]
This must be the home stretch in the campaign to make homosexuality mainstream and "normal".

[/quote]

And who are you exactly to define "normal" anyway?

[quote="greeny93, post:12, topic:240177"]
And who are you exactly to define "normal" anyway?

[/quote]

This person is not speaking from their own authority, but from God who has made it abundantly clear through scripture, tradition, and church teachings that homosexuality is not normal and disordered.

I am Catholic, Gay, not proud of it, but happy who I am. Went to Catholic Schools all my life and have NO NEED to shove my orientation down the throats of others.Like a black person shoving their blackness, and Asian their Asian-ess...I just want to be left alone.. I hope God loves me...but it is HIS choice, not yours, if I get into Heaven. I do my best...like we all do..

Let he who has not sinned throw the first stone. Judge not, for the same measure you use will be used against you.

To me, it is clear, that when we make ourselves judge and juror...be prepared to use your measure against yourself. Isn't GOD much bugger than our petty beliefs? He who knows our hearts will be subjected to your prejudice? Jesus is much BIGGER than you and he died for ALL of us. This is what I believe, and I believe in HIM. I may not be a Saint and he knows it. But their are very few Saints and heaven will be empty if HE has NO compassion.

He made us...and HE died for us, what else can we ask for?

[quote="aldohe, post:11, topic:240177"]
Hello All,

After viewing the commercial I was immediately appalled. Especially when I saw the Toy Story "Woody" character on the commercial.

I initially thought it was also a "It's good to be gay" commercial, but after doing a bit of research I understand the "It's getting better" campaign is about anti-bullying.

I am concerned about the real intentions of the person who began this campaign Dan Savage. He works for an on-line blog called the Slog. Here is a link to one of his blogs.

slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/11/04/the-catholic-church-vs-gay-equality

By reading all of the comments many of his followers on the blog are anti-Catholic or anti-Christian.

I am weary to support this campaign and will no longer use Google in any form on my PC or phone. Trust me this is hard to do.

As Catholics we should denounce any form of bullying or violence against the weak of our society. But we should not support acceptance of immoral lifestyles.

This commercial seems to push the envelope into acceptance of the gay lifestyle rather than anti-bullying awareness.

What do you all think?

[/quote]

The commercial certainly isn't tightly in line with Church teaching, but I don't feel any need to boycott Google for that. It isn't like I thought they were Catholic before and just found out that they are a secular company. The commercial was pretty tastefully done in my opinion and I can't really imagine it being done much differently. Sure it showed gay couples being happy, but it isn't like it was projecting some false reality these were just popular videos from real people. I don't think you can really expect for much more from a secular effort to stop gay bullying, they obviously aren't going to go into the theological discussion or say something like "It gets better, but it isn't ever okay for you to be in a gay relationship!" Besides, I don't really know what you intend to use in place of Google. I doubt any of the ideas you have in mind would be any better if you actually looked at the companies involvement in similar things.

I really have mixed feelings about this. The truth is, high school is hard on every kid, and even more so if that kid is pegged as "different". My gut feeling is that this promoted acceptance of the person rather than promoting the lifestyle. And I consider myself to be pretty conservative when it comes to stuff like this.

[quote="BcuzISaidSo, post:17, topic:240177"]
I really have mixed feelings about this. The truth is, high school is hard on every kid, and even more so if that kid is pegged as "different". My gut feeling is that this promoted acceptance of the person rather than promoting the lifestyle. And I consider myself to be pretty conservative when it comes to stuff like this.

[/quote]

I saw the commercial and while it's obviously not opposing homosexuality in anyway it's clearly an anti-bullying support system not an overtly "it's ok to be gay" statement. It Gets Better is a charitable organization trying to show gay teens that life gets easier. It's basically advertising a bunch of youtube vidoes of people who are homosexuals saying that "it gets better" in other words very tactfully saying "don't kill yourself because of bullies" because that's what's happening. Of the rising teen suicide rates homosexual teens rank the highest and there is no denying the fact that it's because of the bullying of the "normal" kids.

Someone mentioned a "competing" organization. There are other teen suicide organizations but one that directly "competes" with this one? How helpful is that going to be? "What you're doing is wrong but don't kill yourself". These kids are already confused... sending a message like that is not going to help and no matter what kind of verbiage you want to use to sugar coat it that's exactly what this suggests.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:18, topic:240177"]
I saw the commercial and while it's obviously not opposing homosexuality in anyway it's clearly an anti-bullying support system not an overtly "it's ok to be gay" statement. It Gets Better is a charitable organization trying to show gay teens that life gets easier. It's basically advertising a bunch of youtube vidoes of people who are homosexuals saying that "it gets better" in other words very tactfully saying "don't kill yourself because of bullies" because that's what's happening. Of the rising teen suicide rates homosexual teens rank the highest and there is no denying the fact that it's because of the bullying of the "normal" kids.

Someone mentioned a "competing" organization. There are other teen suicide organizations but one that directly "competes" with this one? How helpful is that going to be? "What you're doing is wrong but don't kill yourself". These kids are already confused... sending a message like that is not going to help and no matter what kind of verbiage you want to use to sugar coat it that's exactly what this suggests.

[/quote]

I am the poster that mentioned 'competing' organization, so let me respond. What I meant was a company that does not promote pro-gay causes. Google had a pro-gay stance on Prop 8, has pro-gay hiring policies, etc. Now Google puts out this ad, with a spokesperson no less than Dan Savage. The motive does not come across as just an anti-gay bullying message. It's saying subliminally with the choice of messenger and pictures that it get's better if you don't reflect on the true meaning of life and grace, just go ahead with this direction of expressing your (homo)sexuality and finding a partner. Even having or adopting children in the future.

How about a message that says ending one's life is wrong for any reason? A message about not killing yourself as there is more to life than one's sexual orientation? Anti-bullying in the context of all bullying, instead of anti-bullying of gays only?

It is the same objection of parents where GLSEN under 'safe schools czar' Kevin Jennings is waging a pro-gay campaign with its anti-gay bullying program in schools.

[quote="InSearchofGrace, post:19, topic:240177"]
I am the poster that mentioned 'competing' organization, so let me respond. What I meant was a company that does not promote pro-gay causes. Google had a pro-gay stance on Prop 8, has pro-gay hiring policies, etc. Now Google puts out this ad, with a spokesperson no less than Dan Savage. The motive does not come across as just an anti-gay bullying message. It's saying subliminally with the choice of messenger and pictures that it get's better if you don't reflect on the true meaning of life and grace, just go ahead with this direction of expressing your (homo)sexuality and finding a partner. Even having or adopting children in the future.

[/quote]

Ok... so a company who has a pro-gay stance on Prop 8 and has pro-gay hiring policies sponsors an ad with what you deem a "subliminally" pro-gay message. If they have such tendencies then this shouldn't be a surprise. But the bottom line is this... gay people DO have the highest rate of suicide among teens. There are teens who have indicated quite clearly that this organization kept them from committing suicide. You may not consider it a Christian organization... but they're doing something positive. I don't necessarily agree with homosexuality as an individual but they are still our brothers and sisters and need someone they can relate with and someone who in the long run is going to tell them nothing more than "you're leading a life of sin" isn't going to help.

Other morally neutral or not pro-gay organizations could also run an ad in primetime... why don't they? I for one am glad to have seen the message I saw on my tv and I hope it reached people who may have needed to be reached. Instead of questioning the motives of the organization or asking why the company they did what they did... maybe you should ask the other ones you're refering to why they did not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.