GOP, Boehner take shutdown hit in new CNN poll

Just more than half the public says that it's bad for the country that the GOP controls the House of Representatives, according to a new national poll conducted after the end of the partial government shutdown.

And the CNN/ORC International survey also indicates that more than six in 10 Americans say that Speaker of the House John Boehner should be replaced.

The poll was conducted Friday through Sunday, just after the end of the 16-day partial federal government shutdown that was caused in part by a push by House conservatives to try and dismantle the health care law, which is President Barack Obama's signature domestic achievement.

According to the survey, 54% say it's a bad thing that the GOP controls the House, up 11 points from last December, soon after the 2012 elections when the Republicans kept control of the chamber. Only 38% say it's a good thing the GOP controls the House, a 13-point dive from the end of last year.

Defeated GOP wants to unite and fight another day

This is the first time since the Republicans won back control of the House in the 2010 elections that a majority say their control of the chamber is bad for the country.

cnn.com/2013/10/21/politics/cnn-poll-gop-boehner-shutdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[quote="gracepoole, post:1, topic:342722"]
cnn.com/2013/10/21/politics/cnn-poll-gop-boehner-shutdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[/quote]

Agreed.

I'm not surprised at all.

Boehner dropped the ball.

Among the people I associate with, the general attitude towards the government shutdown was pretty much one of "Who Cares".

[quote="Seamus_L, post:4, topic:342722"]
Among the people I associate with, the general attitude towards to the government shutdown was pretty much one of "Who Cares".

[/quote]

Same here.

I suspect a percentage of this are conservatives who do not think John Bohener should have given into the deal and are frustrated with the moderate Republicans in the House.

Barack Obama is at 52% disapproval in the CNN/ORC poll.

Why didn't the poll ask what people think about Democrats controlling the Senate? I suspect you would find Senate approval and Harry Reid's favourable ratings lower than unfavourable but CNN didn't ask about the Senate Democrats.

[quote="_Abyssinia, post:6, topic:342722"]
I suspect a percentage of this are conservatives who do not think John Bohener should have given into the deal and are frustrated with the moderate Republicans in the House.

Why didn't the poll ask what people think about Democrats controlling the Senate? I suspect you would find Senate approval and Harry Reid's favourable ratings lower than unfavourable but CNN didn't ask about the Senate Democrats.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
They didn't take that poll because they would not get a response that fit their agenda.

[quote="_Abyssinia, post:6, topic:342722"]

[/quote]

Well, the Speaker of the House has a much higher profile than leaders of the parties in either branch. After all he is next in line to the Presidency after the Vice President.

So.....the guys who gave us the catastrophic, unsustainable $17T debt are not the problem, it's those politicians who dare to tell the truth, act responsibly and demand accountability who are. Just goes to show how easy it is to dupe willing subjects, like those kids on Pleasure Island. In our twisted country, the guys who stand behind their women and take responsibility for their kids are fascists, but the adolescent cads who fork over a few hundred dollars and drive their conquest to an abortion center are HEROES! :hypno: Rob

[quote="RACJ, post:9, topic:342722"]
So.....the guys who gave us the catastrophic, unsustainable $17T debt are not the problem, it's those politicians who dare to tell the truth, act responsibly and demand accountability who are.

[/quote]

In fairness to the Republicans you're right. At the last Bernanke testimony, they seem to have made the more astute points. They don't have Ron Paul anymore but there are several who do impress me, at least from the monetary point of view. We'll see what happens at the Janet Yellen hearings.

I think its safe to assume that both parties are members of the same hypocrisy; to them its nothing but a game to see who can come out the "winner". In this case it looks like the republican party came out on the "losing" side and will take some years to repair the damage.

[quote="gamewell45, post:12, topic:342722"]
I think its safe to assume that both parties are members of the same hypocrisy; to them its nothing but a game to see who can come out the "winner". In this case it looks like the republican party came out on the "losing" side and will take some years to repair the damage.

[/quote]

A year is an eternity in politics. And two years is an eternity plus a year. The Republicans aren't through, and they probably won't "take years to fix the damage." The salvation of the GOP will come through Democrat malfeasance and failures of Obamacare. That will be THE issue in 2014. Cruz will be able to say, "see, I told you so."

Ishii

[quote="ishii, post:13, topic:342722"]
A year is an eternity in politics. And two years is an eternity plus a year. The Republicans aren't through, and they probably won't "take years to fix the damage." The salvation of the GOP will come through Democrat malfeasance and failures of Obamacare. That will be THE issue in 2014. Cruz will be able to say, "see, I told you so."

Ishii

[/quote]

Agreed.

I was SHOCKED when CNN broadcasted several stories about people attempting to sign up through the state exchanges (apparently no one can get the federal one to work). At the end the best line was "what are we - FOX - with this story"? Apparently even they couldn't put a good spin on it.

The big surprise - New York has not signed up a single person yet - and they were the one state that was supposed to see lower rates.

[quote="SamH, post:14, topic:342722"]
Agreed.

I was SHOCKED when CNN broadcasted several stories about people attempting to sign up through the state exchanges (apparently no one can get the federal one to work). At the end the best line was "what are we - FOX - with this story"? Apparently even they couldn't put a good spin on it.

The big surprise - New York has not signed up a single person yet - and they were the one state that was supposed to see lower rates.

[/quote]

I think it is telling when media like CNN are so adverse to saying something negative about Obama or the Left, that they acknowledge their competitor who isn't afraid to report the news.

[quote="SaintAugustine, post:15, topic:342722"]
I think it is telling when media like CNN are so adverse to saying something negative about Obama or the Left, that they acknowledge their competitor who isn't afraid to report the news.

[/quote]

I think by now they have figured out that our leaders and politicians don't know squat about ecomonics and wouldn't know IT technology if it stepped on them. But to be fair, the private sector isn't that much better in preventing screwups. Microsoft has had its share of poor implementations over the years.

[quote="ProVobis, post:16, topic:342722"]
I think by now they have figured out that our leaders and politicians don't know squat about ecomonics and wouldn't know IT technology if it stepped on them. But to be fair, the private sector isn't that much better in preventing screwups. Microsoft has had its share of poor implementations over the years.

[/quote]

Has Microsoft ever released a product that flat could not work under any circumstance? The testing of the system revealed it failed with as few as 200 people on line. I don't believe they have any live testing that it passed.

NBC’s Chuck Todd asked a simple question:

Five days before the launch, the president said it’s a website where you can compare and purchase affordable health care plans, the same way you shop for a plane ticket on Kayak. Who misled him? Who misled the president on this? Are you telling me five days before that somebody let the president go out to the American public to give this speech and say this and make this promise? In fact, the next line is: I promise you, this is a lot easier, it’s like booking a hotel or plane ticket. Who let him down? (Click here for the video)

The moment of journalism was accepted with reluctant babbling, and repetitive (and often un-related) talking points from the chief White House spokesperson. Todd’s presumption that the Chief Salesman for Obamacare (AKA: President Obama) was simply naive in his comparison, is a cute tactic to paint the Official White House Press-Jester into a corner. But it is off base.

The fact is, the President hasn’t the slightest clue what the private sector is actually like. To progressive liberals such as our campaigner in chief, the “private-sector” is a theoretical source of tax revenue.

Remember when Obama compared the Obamacare exchange “glitches” to a glitch in the newest batch of Apple operating software? The President actually suggested that the implementation of Obamacare was nothing different than predictable glitches in computer software.

Well. . . Aside from the obvious fact that citizens are not mandated by the Federal Government to purchase i-phones (well. . . Not yet. . . Apple should work on that) his ignorance of consumer demand is stunning. Businesses die every day for having failed the expectations or demands of its potential customer base.

As Sam Walton, founder of Walmart, once said, “There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else.” A tech company that implemented a new product or service with Obamacare’s comical lack of competency would, no doubt, find itself at the mercy of a disgruntled and shunning public.

Of course, government has no need to worry about such market forces. They can simply siphon off more taxes from the Sam Waltons of the world.

nbc-reporter-asks-jay-carney-why-obama-was-so-wrong-on-obamacare-n1729386

Remember the federal government spent $600 million+ on this site. Sears and JC Penney have much better websites that costs way less than 10% of what this one did.

[/quote]

Poll: Majority believe health-care Web site problems indicate broader issue with law

[quote="gamewell45, post:12, topic:342722"]

[/quote]

I think that you are dead wrong. To the progressives in both parties, this is indeed a game. But to the few, such as Ted Cruz, who fought valiantly against Obama"care", this is a life or death struggle for both the individual, AND our republic. :sad_yes:

[/quote]

Our "leaders and politicians" don't know "squat" about providing affordable and quality health care to Americans either. Everyone should accept this by now, one would think! :eek: Rob

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.