GOP candidate Trump raps Pope's 'very political' visit to Mexican border [CWN]

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump criticized Pope Francis for his plan to visit the US-Mexico border, during a television interview on February 11.Questioned about the …

More…

Mr. Trump says the Holy Father is a “very political person” showing his willingness to hold a strong opinion from a position of extreme ignorance.

“For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.”

Mr. is incapable of understanding a man like Pope Francis.

Does he need to?

“I think that the Pope is a very political person. I think that he doesn’t understand the problems our country has,” Trump said in an interview Thursday on Fox Business. “I don’t think he understands the danger of the open border that we have with Mexico.”
So what do US Catholics do now ? Support the Pope or Trump ?

Well an open border isn’t a good idea, so I hope the Pope isn’t advocating that.

Trump also said the Pope is a humble man, and that so is he, and that’s probably why he likes the Pope.

Trump–the humble man.

Pope Francis has already spoken out against impenetrable international borders, calling them “monuments of exclusion” and even a “form of suicide” that closes countries in on themselves.

The Pope has opinions on drugs, climate change, health care, immigration, the death penalty, engaging war, weapon manufacturing, etc. No one is obliged to agree with him on all of his political stances. I personally don’t.

Although I’m no longer a Catholic I tend to agree with the Pope’s teaching as being close to those of Jesus of Nazareth whom I strongly believe in.

Makes perfect sense then to have the Vatican walls with additional security since the Paris attacks. :slight_smile:

That almost makes me laugh. Trump has a knack for putting some one down and softening it by saying he “likes” them in the same breath. Humble, Trump is NOT!! Is that what they used to call “speaking” with forked tongue??? God Bless, Memaw

How do we know that the Pope isn’t going to tell migrants at the border, to respect the laws on immigration in the US and other nations ?

Jim

That was my point. Trump has no need to understand anything to hold a strong opinion about it.

Donald Trump is a narcissist so the hubris exhibited by his commenting on Pope Francis’ intentions is not surprising - although still very offensive. He should confine his comments to people who are in his own league.

Why do you diagnose narcissism? Because he brags about stuff he has done and about his abilities? If that’s it, then you have to have the same diagnosis for all of the candidates, because every single one of them has done the same thing and will continue to do it.

I am not sure that we have ever had someone who was not narcissistic run for president. It kind of is a requirement for the job.

Trump isn’t my guy, but I think some of the things said here are just partisan. If Jerry Falwell, Jr said the country should close the borders to Hispanics, the left would be on him like ugly on an ape. So would I. And frankly, as a Catholic, I don’t care a fig about what Jerry Falwell says about anything. Trump isn’t Catholic, and he doesn’t see the Pope the same way we do. Look around you. Most of your neighbors don’t either.

You make a good point. Though, I am not sure the others would compare their humbleness to that of Pope Francis.

Again, all quite true. Yet, one quarter of this nation’s population are Catholics and he does not have the self control to not speak against the Pope. He has every right to say what he wants, and we have every right to take note.

I am hoping more-and-more people are taking strong note of the many outrageous things Trump has/does said/says.

I am always confused with Trump’s comments about subjects for which he has little or no real knowledge. I wonder why he feels he should comment on so many different things…why would he think people want to know what he thinks of the Pope’s plans, statements, or travel intentions?

DSM-IV-TR
Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR, include:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).
Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
Requires excessive admiration.
Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations.
Is inter-personally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends.
Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.