GOP eyes best chance in years to defund Planned Parenthood

politico.com/story/2016/11/gop-plans-to-defund-planned-parenthood-231905

*Congressional Republicans are aiming to cut off federal funding for Planned Parenthood early next year, according to GOP sources on and off the Hill, as social conservatives press for a milestone win under Donald Trump’s presidency after years of thwarted attempts to defund the health care group.

Although the Senate passed a budget bill in late 2015 that eliminated federal money for Planned Parenthood and also repealed Obamacare, President Barack Obama vetoed the measure in early January. But with Trump in the White House next year, conservatives say it’s just a matter of time before a defunding bill becomes law.

“The entire movement is poised for a victory,” said Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony List, an advocacy group that opposes abortion. “We have every assurance [from congressional leaders] that it’s going to happen. Nobody is saying ‘whether,’ the question is ‘when.’”

If successful, this latest push would be the single biggest victory for anti-abortion groups in years, and likely the first step in a broader agenda aimed at sharply curtailing abortion procedures. Federal law already bars Planned Parenthood from using taxpayer funds for abortions; the group uses the money for family planning and other health services. But anti-abortion groups insist the funding facilitates abortion by freeing up other funds for abortion services.

After Planned Parenthood, advocates are expected to take aim at banning abortion at 20 weeks of pregnancy and making the Hyde amendment — which bans the use of federal money for abortions — permanent. But even with Republicans in control of all the levers of government, those goals face much longer odds. At the same time, they’re going to be marshaling forces to help ensure the confirmation of a conservative Supreme Court justice to replace Antonin Scalia, who died in February.*

I love the idea and I want to be excited about this, but I’m concerned about a potential lawsuit that could spring up, should they go at it from the “selling of body parts” angle, seeing how it was never proven.

It would be a big win to just give the money to the states to manage, but with a clear rider that it must be used for healthcare and not marketing expenses.

:thumbsup:

We’re not ‘anti-abortion’…we’re ‘pro-life’…there’s a big difference…

Semantics aside, I’m looking forward to 2017.

I fail to see any angle for a lawsuit. Planned Parenthood has no perpetual legal claim to taxpayer money.

Why can’t people understand abortion = murder? :shrug:

Exactly!

IMO there is a host of programs that the government (taxpayers) has no business funding, PP being one of them. PBS is another. I know our liberals friends think we can continue to fund programs (many of which are duplicates) of every kind regardless of the financial situation the country is in. Just how much debt is enough? All this giving to every group has got to stop. We cannot afford it.

I mentioned this in another thread, but for other Christian (and non-Christian) positions differences on views on things such as ensoulment may contribute to differences in views on abortion. There are some that believe a child doesn’t have a soul until it’s born and others that think the soul comes later during embryonic development.

I think some of these view points make it easier for people to emotionally process other things such as miscarriages or the knowledge that some number of eggs that get fertilized may not stick.

Good, but every dime of the money saved should go to setting up free clinics in those areas that does everything PP does except abortion and contraception.

All PP does is contraception and abortion!:frowning:

I don’t think that’s actually the case, but the bad far outweighs the good.

I agree! There are in fact pro-life clinics increasingly doing just this. In the Denver area, some of these clinics are burgeoning into full OB services. Wouldn’t it be nice if federal money went to something like that?

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that they give vouchers to facilities that perform other services such as mammograms. Let us not lose sight of the purpose for which PP was founded.

Yep! Some also do AIDS screening apparently. (according to a friend who gives to them regularly). It’s not enough to get rid of them, we have to replace them, lest something worse come after.

Yep. Like Obamacare, repeal AND replace, don’t just repeal.

And STD test, and pregnancy test, other reproductive health services, and prenatal care. In terms of dollars more of their money comes from abortion procedures (an abortion is more expensive than an STD test) but when looking at the services rendered most of their procedures performed are not abortions.

Yes.:frowning:

Trump himself said that PP does good things except for abortions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.