GOP House candidate defends Facebook comment about poor

posttrib.suntimes.com/news/porter/28000445-418/gop-house-candidate-defends-facebook-comment-about-poor.html#.U8-37xZCiuc

The comment:
“No one has the guts to just let them wither and die.”

Love they neighbor as thyself…

unless they happen to be lazy, poor people who take handouts and don’t work. Let them die.

Seriously, this is the true GOP mantra that so many of the rich right believe, in their heart.
God bless us all.

The Sad thing is I’m sure this guy could actually win a seat with this idiotic statement.

To say that so many on the right want anyone to wither and die is a straw man, and comments like yours are what prevent thoughtful and constructive conversation between the two sides.

Agreed. This man does not represent the conservatives I know. The conservatives I know give generously of their time and money to to charity. They don’t expect the federal government to do it for them.

Edit: Ok I’m not saying that so many of them actually literally want them to die, BUT it’s absolutely true they think the poor are somehow feeding off the rich, off the government and need to “get a job” and stop complaining, hence they are trying to STOP HELPING the poor (food stamps, etc)

Please don’t tell me you’re actually defending this idiot. :shrug:

Just the fact that he would say something like this shows his true colors, no?
Now let’s have that debate.

I am not okay with this kind of language. :nope:

I wouldn’t vote for him. It is sad, however, that so many Catholics vote for people who support far worse

It is interesting that conservatives give far more of their time and money to helping the poor and needy than liberals. Liberals evidently believe they can fulfill their personal responsibility to help the poor and needy by voting for someone who promises to take other peoples money and do it for them

Yes he has shown his true colors. He is unfit to hold office. Of course, unlike many who are outraged at this mans comments I believe anyone who has such a disgraceful attitude towards the sanctity of life is unfit to hold office. But I suspect that is not a debate you want to have

I am not at all defending the statement he made; I am defending all other conservatives who have not and never would make statements like his.

Conservatives care just as much as liberals do about helping the poor; they just have different ideas on the best way to help people. Liberals think government is the only way to help the poor. Conservatives believe in private charity and community help.

By the way, you mentioned food stamps as a way to help the poor. I have a question: Hypothetically, if you had to choose only one of these two options as a means to solving the problem of poverty, which do you think would be better for the poor: food stamps, or a job?

In the last election the incumbent democrat state rep ran unopposed. So it looks like we have an almost purely democrat district, so virtually anyone who wants to run can be the republican nominee. Not a high bar.

Conservatives may give more money, but they certainly don’t give more time. Go to any hands-on group, whether homeless shelters or food banks or anything, and they’re run by liberal volunteers. Gay and lesbian support groups often flood these places with volunteers – charity is a huge thing in the community. And I’m pretty sure at least 80% of the community is liberal.

So I’d actually make the comment that conservatives are more likely to think that their obligation is fulfilled by throwing a wad of cash at poor people, whereas liberals are much more likely to actually put in the required time and effort to help out.

People who identify themselves as conservatives donate money to charity more often than people who identify themselves as liberals. They donate more money and a higher percentage of their incomes. It is not that conservatives have more money. Liberal families average 6 percent higher incomes than conservative families. *
So is the fact that most of the states that voted for John Kerry during the 2004 election donated a lower percentage of their incomes to charity than the states that voted for President Bush. Conservatives not only donate more money to charity than liberals do, conservatives volunteer more time as well. More conservatives than liberals also donate blood.
* “If liberals and moderates gave blood at the same rate as conservatives, the blood supply of the United States would jump about 45 percent.**”
*You can read the article here. *

commoncts.blogspot.com/2011/12/charitable-giving-liberals-vs.html

LOL sure. A blank statement with no facts behind it whatsoever, as opposed to the blatant disparity for anyone with on-the-ground experience. Rape call centers? Almost entirely liberals. Homeless shelters? Can be a mix. Food banks? More likely to be liberals volunteering. And givers to blood banks? My former college’s Catholic Center would like to have a word with this person on the mixture, because those donaters were mostly liberals too :rolleyes:.

If you’re going to try to refute me, try to actually put up data, not just randomly cite a blogger asserting that liberals suck.

Study: Conservatives and liberals are equally charitable, but they give to different charities

All you gave was anecdotal evidence. You have given absolutely nothing to back up your assertions,. The blog I linked to linked to articles that verified the premise that Conservative give more of their time and money.

Based on a rather loose definition of “charity” Under this study a contribution to “People for the American Way” or “Media Matters” is considered a charitable contribution. Numerous studies have proven Conservative give more to charity. This is the only one that claims otherwise.

Would these “liberal volunteers” be college students who do not have full-time jobs?

:rotfl:

Media Matters: a charity?

Sorry, that’s just beyond the pale.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.