GOP lawmaker's bill would block Obama deportation policy

thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/233431-gop-proposes-bill-blocking-enforcement-of-obamas-immigration-policy

Obama’s actions needs to be assessed from an constitutional perspective.

Obama said on Univison in March 2011: ‘With respect to the notion that I could suspend deportations through executive order, that’s just not the case, because there are laws on the books that Congress has passed and I know that everybody here at Bell is studying hard so you know we have three branches of government. Congresses passes the law. The executive branch’s job is to enforce and implement those laws and then the judiciary has to interpret the law. There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system, that for me through simply an executive order ignore those mandates would not conform with my appropriate role as president.’

Obama said on July 25th 2011 in a speech to La Raza, ‘I know some people want me to bypass Congress and change the laws on my own… The idea of doing things on my own is very tempting. But that’s not how – that’s not how our system works.’

Obama is a former constitutional law professor, he should know the rule of law, and yet he has defied what he has said twice.

That has the makings of a great political ad. :thumbsup:

La Raza is one of the most racist groups out there.

Obama’s decision to stop deportation was a good one, but didn’t go nearly far enough. Destroying families by deporting parents or grand-parents is extremely sad. Romney is for making it illegal for these families to hold down jobs in an effort to get them to deport themselves. How sad and wrong is that?

My hope is that these immigrants will be provided a clear simple path to citizenship. Who cares if they came here illegally? I likely came to work today illegally (aka speeding or rolling through stop signs). The fact is there are millions of hard working, loving people trying to do what is best for their families. Trying to escape the poverty and desperation of their home land. We in our arrogance debate the best way to kick them out of “our” country.

I pray that we may soften hearts, look to THEIR greater good and help them transition into the United States as much as possible.

The Holy Family were also immigrants to Egypt. Although the Egyptians didn’t share their religion or common heritage I for one am glad they didn’t choose to make life so difficult on the Holy Family as to attempt to drive them back to Israel.

*Who cares if they came here illegally? *

Actually, I do.

We are an immigrant country. My family came from Poland in 19th century and Turkey in 20th Century. Both came legally and did things honestly and properly. We still have relatives that would like to come; they are waiting patiently.

It shows Obama to be a hypocrite, but I do not think Romney’s ad team or SuperPac or the RNC are going to make an ad because they will not want to alienate Hispanics by making a political point when real people are effected by immigration.

Obama was a law lecturer, not a professor. That is a title highly prized and he does not qualify. Further, his intentions were good, and I do not disagree with him on that. However, in this country laws are not made by the president,they are made by the congress and then signed into law by the president. Obama has assumed to himself powers not granted to him under our constitution. Were this a Republican president,the Dems would be screaming bloody murder that the Congress had been bypassed. In fact, history shows they already have.

On the contrary. I think it can be done quite effectively by contrasting Obama’s cheap, hypocritical political stunt with a call for real, legislative change.

The reason it won’t be done is that Romney has taken a hardline stance that he can’t back away from with any credibility.

No one cares. As long as they agree with the notion, the laws and abilities of the office are secondary. No one will admit this, but their posts do it for them. The President can do whatever he wants, as long as they like what he is doing.

It makes the controversy over NSA wiretapping, the Patriot Act, the “outing” of Valerie Plame, and the invasion of Iraq arguments seem obsolete now. Bush was the President, and he could do whatever he wanted, as long as the person looking at the decision agreed.

=Andrew1980;9426103]Obama’s decision to stop deportation was a good one, but didn’t go nearly far enough. Destroying families by deporting parents or grand-parents is extremely sad.

Andrew,
Whether or not you or I think the decision was a good one doesn’t matter a lick. He made an oath to uphold the Constitution. I don’t recall anywhere in Artcle 2 the president having the power to ignore or counteract a law by executive order.

Romney is for making it illegal for these families to hold down jobs in an effort to get them to deport themselves. How sad and wrong is that?

This is so interesting, because the democrats are all in favor of legally going after businesses and employers who hire illegal aliens. So, lets see the logic. I.A.'s should be allowed to get jobs, but employers should be prosecuted for hiring them. :whacky:

My hope is that these immigrants will be provided a clear simple path to citizenship. Who cares if they came here illegally? I likely came to work today illegally (aka speeding or rolling through stop signs). The fact is there are millions of hard working, loving people trying to do what is best for their families. Trying to escape the poverty and desperation of their home land. We in our arrogance debate the best way to kick them out of “our” country.

It is our country, and it does matter how they got here, considering the tens of thousands from all over the world who patiently wait in line. But i’ll teel you what, I’ll sign on to this approach when the countries these folks are coming from agree to the following: 1) a free, capitalist society in their countries so people won’t feel the need to leave, 2) th exact same open border policy in reverse.

I pray that we may soften hearts, look to THEIR greater good and help them transition into the United States as much as possible.

This is a good point, and one worth thinking about. These young folks, who were brought here without their consent, if they are to stay, need to accept our ofrm of constitutional government, and reject that style of government from the old country, learn the language, and become completely acculturated into the American culture (melting pot).

The Holy Family were also immigrants to Egypt. Although the Egyptians didn’t share their religion or common heritage I for one am glad they didn’t choose to make life so difficult on the Holy Family as to attempt to drive them back to Israel.

Now you are talking about political asylum. That’s a different issue.

Jon

To all those complaining about Obama not getting Congressional approval for the deportation policy change, maybe a moment of deep honesty is necessary. What exactly is Congress’ track record on immigration legislation? BOTH Republicans (during Bush’s second term) and Democrats (DREAM act) have failed to get consensus from lawmakers on the issue.

So it’s all well and good to insist on Constitutional principles, but is there any remedy in that esteemed document for the abject failure of lawmakers to come together and reform immigration legislation either in a comprehensive (BUSH) or in a piece-meal (OBAMA) manner?

Now one of said lawmakers would reverse the little iota that Obama has finally mustered the courage to change? No wonder public approval of lawmakers’ performance is in the pits. Someone should remind them that they actually are supposed to conduct the people’s business, not simply to oppose those who attempt to earn their pay - obvious political motivations notwithstanding.

That would not be a wise move for the GOP either politically or in terms of policy.

What Obama should of done is call Marco Rubio and help form bipartisan legislation, which Marco Rubio was doing anyway. That way there would of been likely enough support from both Republican and Democrats and legislation would of passed. It would of provided a long term solution, not a ‘stop gap measure’ as Obama has called his immigration order and it would of made him look better, that he was trying to work with congress.

It doesn’t matter if there is a remedy!! We don’t suspend the constitution everytime the Congress fails to act. There is immigration law on the books. That law should be enforced until there is a new law. Perhaps enforcement of the current law would wake people up to make the changes needed.

and btw, there was a new version of the Dream Act, offered by Sen. Rubio, about to be put forward. The president clearly wanted to thwart the possibility of this issue being resolved before the election.

Jon

Mary, Obama’s official title was senior lecturer. Lecturer is the first rank of professor in the pecking order, followed by assistant professor, associate professor, and professor. It’s just a matter of seniority and tenure.

Again, so why is there an objection to anything a President does, ever? Nixon had Watergate, which was fine. Bush invaded Iraq, signed the Patriot Act, and continued NSA’s wiretaping. All fine, right?

If we aren’'t going to live by some st of rules for governance, surely you see that will lead to chaos, or the inability to ever judge a President’s actions as thwe “wrong thing to do.”

That renders anything any President has ever done that you disagreed with the correct thing to have done, and you can’t really argue against it any more.

The law on the books is being enforced - it is simply inadequate to deal with the problem. Even with a record number of deportations, and a focus on the criminal element, illegal immigration remains a pressing problem.

Congress needs to stop playing these childish “mine is better than yours” contests and get down to actually doing its job. That’s the one sure way to uphold the Constitution.

Not sure what you’re referring to. The point of my post is that when the crew is missing in action, it’s kind of pointless to criticize the captain for making unilateral decisions.

So what prevents Rubio from proceeding with his plan regardless? Obama hasn’t changed the immigrant status of these young people - all he’s done is remove the sword that was hanging over their heads.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.