GOP Primary Thread

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Former Speaker John Boehner said Paul Ryan should be the Republican nominee for president if the party fails to choose a candidate on the first ballot.

“If we don’t have a nominee who can win on the first ballot, I’m for none of the above,” Boehner said at the Futures Industry Association conference here. “They all had a chance to win. None of them won. So I’m for none of the above. I’m for Paul Ryan to be our nominee.”

Read more: politico.com/story/2016/03/boehner-endorses-paul-ryan-for-president-220855#ixzz434rUcDf8
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

What gall these people have!

There has already been talk of this on the morning news shows.

Ditto!I really believe that they would rather allow Hillary a win than actually let Trump,Cruz or even Kasich win.You know the Dems and the Republicans are nothing more that two heads on the same monster.They wonder why the electorate is pushing back!:mad:

I hate to tell you folks this, but it actually would be within the bounds of the Constitution.
What Boehner is suggesting, is completely legal.
And quite frankly, wouldn’t surprise me if it happened.

So now we are not competent to pick our own nominee? I am no Trump supporter but whoever has the majority of delegates going into the convention should be the nominee.

There is an even bigger problem on the Democrat side-Hillary could very well receive the nomination because of the support of unelected super delegates ie: Party Bosses

I actually kinda agree with you. Although I would much rather have Ryan over Trump

I don’t blame anyone for being angry with the GOP. I have been also, they have not done the things the base has wanted.

I just don’t see why anyone prefers Trump who has very questionable beliefs over Cruz. At least we have seen him be pretty steadfast in his opposition to liberal principles. Unlike Trump who until just a few years ago was giving money to liberal candidates.

You are right, but these days people don’t care. They want what they want and they want it now. IMO they are using their wish list instead of their brains. Thomas Sowell has a great thought-provoking article on voting. Everyone should look it up.

It comes down to trust. I don’t trust Cruz. He borrowed a lot of his positions from Trump so that much of the platform for these two are kind of similar. I believe Trump can work much better with others because he’s street savvy. Cruz has a serious likability deficiency.

That would apply to you as well!

What this is ,is we who identify with the Republican Party,have finally had it up to our ears with the elites cherry picking our nominees.It seems we are having less and less of a say in the process.Trump,who pretty much all of us can agree,is not our first choice,maybe not even an option at all.However,he represents the frustration the electorate are feeling over politics as usual.Now those same elites apparently have found a way around thecTrump phenomenon and will still choose the nominee of their liking.Once again the party will lose to another Dem.We the people are the ones who get to deal with the fallout.Disgusting!:mad:

Jesse Ventura has said that if Sanders or Trump fail to get there party’s nominations that he’s running for President. I sure hope he’s true to his word.

Yet that is how our Constitution has always been set up.

I think the majority of republicans dislike Boehner worse than Romney.

Romney hasn’t been able to help Rubio. Don’t think Boehner will help anybody either.

Just in from @SpeakerRyan camp: “The speaker is grateful for the support, but he is not interested. He will not accept a nomination.”

twitter.com/jacobnbc/status/710106351469510656

Good choice.

I think it’s the other way around. Cruz has held the same positions he has now for years.
Do your research. Trump has recently been a convert to the conservative cause, and has flipped even during the campaign.

As for the OP- as much as I don’t like Trump- I think this(putting up Paul Ryan) would fracture the party and divide us more than we already are.many people would perceive that as being shoved down their throat and they would be right. I think we need to let the democratic process play out, and if Trump gets the most votes, that’s who should be the nominee.

My first instinct when the election season began was Jeb Bush would be the nominee.
That still might be a possibility.
Gonna be a wild ride.

This has nothing to do with the Constitution.

Agree with this. I’m no Trump supporter either but if he gets the majority of the delegates than he is the nominee fair and square. How would we like it if Cruz (or other candidate of your choice) got the majority of the delegates and they pulled the same thing because they don’t like Cruz? I’m wondering if Paul Ryan would go for it anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.