GOP rival Beth Lindstrom calls on Elizabeth Warren to apologize for 'racist' justice-system jab

GOP rival Beth Lindstrom calls on Elizabeth Warren to apologize for ‘racist’ justice-system jab

By Valerie Richardson - The Washington Times - Monday, August 6, 2018

Republican Senate hopeful Beth Lindstrom called Monday on Sen. Elizabeth Warren to apologize for denouncing the U.S. criminal-justice system as “racist … front to back.” . . .

. . . She referred to Ms. Warren’s comments Friday at Netroots Nation, an annual left-wing gathering, where the Democratic senator appeared as part of a session at Dillard University in New Orleans.

“Let’s just start with the hard truth about our criminal justice system,” Ms. Warren said. “It’s racist. It is. And when I say our system, I mean all the way. I mean front to back. We’re talking about the front end on what you declare to be illegal; on how you enforce it, on who gets arrested.” . . .

I recently heard an ex-abortion mill director talking about divisive political issues.

She pointed out many of the politicians LOVE THEM.

WHY?

Because it is easy to fund-raise on these divisive issues.

I am not suggesting ONLY liberal politicians do this by the way.

(Yet another argument for term limits in my opinion)

Also from the same article . . .

“Words like this are polarizing and divisive: completely used for personal political gain for 2020, without regard for how they sound to the many good people in Massachusetts and around the country who are punishing criminals, keeping us safe and administering justice,” Ms. Lindstrom said.

Others pointed out that until recently, the Justice Department was headed by Attorney General Loretta Lynch, who succeeded Eric Holder during the Obama administration. Both are black.

“You think you have a tough job this morning? Imagine being the guy who has to organize ‘Cops for Warren 2020’ in a year or so,” said National Review’s Jim Geraghty. . . .

It is my understanding that the politicians can keep adding to their campaign “war chest”, and have laws set up for themselves, so that when they eventually retire, they can TAKE the money tax-free for personal gain.

Perhaps others here can verify or debunk this?

Why would Warren apologize for telling the truth?

So are YOU are saying (or agreeing with the notion) that the US criminal justice system is “racist from front to back”?

Warren . . . .

“Let’s just start with the hard truth about our criminal justice system,” . . … “It’s racist. It is. And when I say our system, I mean all the way. I mean front to back. We’re talking about the front end on what you declare to be illegal; on how you enforce it, on who gets arrested.” . . .

John24 . . . .

Why would Warren apologize for telling the truth?

Agreeing with the notion (though it’s not a matter of agreement, it’s a matter of fact).

So as a statement of “fact”, it should be easy enough to either prove this “fact” to everyone reading your post, or cite a source that verifies this “fact”. Which of the two would you rather do?

Good luck lady. I hadn’t even heard of her. We love Warren here. Heck, my county went to Sanders in the presidential primary. We are true blue up here.

Thanks for posting this.

Don’t get me started again on Sen. Warren.

And for another view, the Boston Herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/opinion/editorials/2018/08/editorial_liz_warren_keeps_playing_blame_game

(short quote from editorial:)

Is there any hard-working American who Elizabeth Warren has not condemned? Starting with business owners, “You didn’t build that,” to everyone involved in the criminal justice system at every level, “racist,” she almost always defaults to excoriating group A for the failures of group B rather than coming up with practical solutions.

Here’s 14 examples. I’d try other sources but they are either long PDFs or pay walled.

Before I start, there are a lot of good cops and I’ve personally never had a bad encounter (besides getting a ticket). But non-white people are somehow encounter the police more, get frisked more often (NYPD), get longer sentences for similar crimes (even when they have similar points), and are treated less respectfully during police stops.

@ HerCrazierHalf

Bill’s examples in that article indicate his inability to understand statistics.

That there is a racial disparity in outcomes does not prove racism is the cause.

Examples of racism occur in nearly every institution ever created. We have seen it in the Church, government, schools, and even families.

This is hardly proof for the assertion that the criminal justice system is racist from front to back and that that is a fact. Stop acting as though examples of anything prove things factual. At best they corroborate or support assertions; they do not prove anything. It is either the height of arrogance or the depths of ignorance that would call someone to assert their opinion as fact using this as validation.

I can provide examples as to why I believe Warren is a racist from front to back, but I doubt you’d agree, then, that it is a fact.

I would imagine that the correlation is very high between poverty and the judicial markers being discussed.

But the fix to this is developing an economy with low unemployment (opportunity), not declining to enforce the rule of law on someone because their skin is darker. The former helps the individuals and our country while the later breeds chaos by pretending the law breaking isn’t real.

I’ll be happy to link sources tonight. It’s common knowledge that people of color are disproportionately stopped by police, arrested at higher rates than white people, are subjected to more police violence, are charged at higher rates with more serious crimes, are denied or given tougher bail, are convicted at higher rates, are given longer sentences than white people, and face serious bias when it comes to parole decisions.

When there is racial disparity in every single outcome it certainly suggests racism.

Back to school for you too!

I expect the correlation is higher for poverty than for race.

And when there is ‘suggestion’ it is not proof. The logical argument for how poverty is causal is much easier to make.

John24 . . .

When there is racial disparity in every single outcome it certainly suggests racism.

I have heard fatherlessness is an even LARGER correlation.

Would you say, when there is fatherlessness in every single outcome it certainly suggests fatherlessness is an issue here?

John. This is Liz fundraising in my opinion. She is not concerned about blacks in a sense that she would call out the Obama administration for all those years beforehand (because she had ample opportunity to do so).

She is “politicizing” this toward . . . “Trump”.

For example, adjusting federal sentencing data for income, location, etc. shows significantly longer sentences for black people than white people. Even after removing the influence of poverty the racial discrimination of the justice system is clear.

It has already been politicized by Republicans:

This (link below) is an interesting read.

Just one quote:

Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices disproportionately harm African
Americans. Further, our investigation found substantial evidence that this harm stems in part
from intentional discrimination in violation of the Constitution.

African Americans experience disparate impact in nearly every aspect of Ferguson’s law
enforcement system. Despite making up 67% of the population, African Americans accounted
for 85% of FPD’s traffic stops, 90% of FPD’s citations, and 93% of FPD’s arrests from 2012 to

Sure. Or we can attempt to define away racism. We could go either way on this.

Seeing racism and declaring the entirety of a concept as racist in every aspect of its existence are two different things.

But an example here or there does not mean you can conclude a “front to back” paradigm.

If it does, I am going to hold YOU to that standard.

I can dredge up all sorts of racist comments from liberals.

Would you say because of THAT “liberalism is racist” from “front to back”??

I hope not.

But that is the exact kind of reasoning you are using here.

And if the system is so corrupt . . . WHY would you call for MORE control of firearms in the hands of the corrupt Government (as you have on many other threads?).

No. I don’t think that YOU think the criminal justice system is corrupt (racism IS corruption) from “front to back”.

I think (from your actions or statements as a whole, not “a” statement) that your support of Warren here is political.

Why not just admit it was a non-sense statement from Warren instead of attempt to defend this kind of thing??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.