GOP Senate candidate says he ‘misspoke’ with ‘legitimate rape’ comment

news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gop-senate-candidate-says-misspoke-legitimate-rape-005818070.html

Sen. Claire McCaskill is probably having a pretty good Sunday. Her opponent in the Missouri Senate race, Republican Rep. Todd Akin, has spent most of the day backtracking after saying that victims of "legitimate rape" cannot biologically become pregnant and thus do not need access to legal abortions.

Yaaah, I guess Rep. Akin either failed biology, never took it, or was absent during the part where they covered the reproductive system because his comments are asinine and downright offensive.

I'm referring specifically to this gem:

Yeh, that's 100% USDA-Approved AAA BS. That doesn't even quality for pseudo-science; he's just pulling stuff out of his you-know-where.

Even this:

"First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy after rape] is really rare," Akin told KTVI-TV in defense of his stand that rape victims should not be allowed to access abortions.

I'm pro-life and even I call that bollocks on that reasoning. Ethics and morality are based on objective reasoning, not on probabilistic consequentialism. Abortion is immoral because it murders a human life, period. This is nothing more then a pathetic attempt to make the position more "acceptable", but it only undermines the overall pro-life position by trying to tie it to statistics when statistics and probability have absolutely nothing to do with it. This reasoning is unreasonable, unintelligible, and counter-productive to the goals of the pro-life movement at large.

That man does not belong in a public service position whatsoever.

Judging by the article, he may be backtracking uphill.

As far as I know, pregnancy can result regardless of whether a sex act is not consensual or even if the supposed victim merely claims it was not.

joe biden is probably happy this republican made such a giant gaffe.

remarks like this are what make the republican party a laughing stock in the world of politics.

this is the first i have heard of this remark and it is offensive and makes me angry that someone holding public office could say something so stupid.

[quote="poker10, post:1, topic:295823"]
news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gop-senate-candidate-says-misspoke-legitimate-rape-005818070.html

Sen. Claire McCaskill is probably having a pretty good Sunday. Her opponent in the Missouri Senate race, Republican Rep. Todd Akin, has spent most of the day backtracking after saying that victims of "legitimate rape" cannot biologically become pregnant and thus do not need access to legal abortions.

[/quote]

I think "no comment" says it all.

Absolute imbecile.

We actually had a recent topic here on CAF where a lady became pregnant after being raped:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=697894

Even though the GOP candidate was clearly wrong, this still makes absolutely no case for abortion. Even in the rather troubling forum topic above, the lady has decided to keep her baby and carry the cross that God has given her! :) I pray that God will bless her and her husband many times over for such charity!

I think he put what he wanted to say badly, in that it was not put in a politically sensitive way.

However, it is indeed less likely that, all other things being equal, a woman will become pregnant or know she became pregnant as the result of rape, because of the stress of the even itself.

Finally, factor in what is certainly one of the most important reasons why a rape victim rarely gets pregnant, and that's physical trauma. Every woman is aware that stress and emotional factors can alter her menstrual cycle. **To get and stay pregnant a woman's body must produce a very sophisticated mix of hormones. Hormone production is controlled by a part of the brain that is easily influenced by emotions. There's no greater emotional trauma that can be experienced by a woman than an assault rape. This can **radically upset her possibility of ovulation, fertilization, implantation and even nurturing of a pregnancy. **So what further percentage reduction in pregnancy will this cause? No one knows, but this factor certainly cuts this last figure by at least 50 percent and probably more. If we use the 50 percent figure, we have a final figure of 225 (or 370) women pregnant each year. **These numbers closely match the 200 that have been documented in clinical studies.

He said "legitimate rapes" because it is not unheard-of for a woman to claim rape at some later point...

[quote="poker10, post:1, topic:295823"]
...Republican Rep. Todd Akin, has spent most of the day backtracking after saying that victims of "legitimate rape" **cannot biologically become pregnant **and thus do not need access to legal abortions.

[/quote]

Akin did not actually say that women who have been raped "don't" get pregnant; he said: “First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is **really rare,” **Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

And his main point was that, “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

And this is most certainly true, and something which the Catholic Church teaches.

After all, we don't put the rapist to death, why should we put the other innocent victim to death?

[quote="MidnightSun12, post:8, topic:295823"]
We actually had a recent topic here on CAF where a lady became pregnant after being raped:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=697894

Even though the GOP candidate was clearly wrong, this still makes absolutely no case for abortion. Even in the rather troubling forum topic above, the lady has decided to keep her baby and carry the cross that God has given her! :) I pray that God will bless her and her husband many times over for such charity!

[/quote]

Yup. Also, the number of cases of rape induced pregnancy is so low that adoption could easily take care of those children if the mother couldn't.

[quote="Bill_Martin, post:10, topic:295823"]
Yup. Also, the number of cases of rape induced pregnancy is so low that adoption could easily take care of those children if the mother couldn't.

[/quote]

Being familiar with the liberal arguments, I can safely say that the availability of adoption is a complete red herring. The issue with rape cases was never about raising the child, it was about having to live for 9 months with a daily reminder of that trauma. I am no supporter of abortion, but I think the pro-life side has failed miserably in addressing the true needs of these women and the situations they face, both victims of rape and other women.

And the "legitimate rape" comment...well, let's just say I've seen what some of these people consider "legitimate rape", and if it wasn't a stranger jumping out of the bushes while you were walking home from church it doesn't count in their minds!

[quote="DarkLight, post:11, topic:295823"]
Being familiar with the liberal arguments, I can safely say that the availability of adoption is a complete red herring. ** The issue with rape cases was never about raising the child, it was about having to live for 9 months with a daily reminder of that trauma**. I am no supporter of abortion, but I think the pro-life side has failed miserably in addressing the true needs of these women and the situations they face, both victims of rape and other women.

[/quote]

Many have done it and have turned out just fine. What happened to the phrase, "take up your cross"?

-Chris

I am unsure how this addresses what I said?

[quote="DarkLight, post:11, topic:295823"]
Being familiar with the liberal arguments, I can safely say that the availability of adoption is a complete red herring. The issue with rape cases was never about raising the child, it was about having to live for 9 months with a daily reminder of that trauma. I am no supporter of abortion, but I think the pro-life side has failed miserably in addressing the true needs of these women and the situations they face, both victims of rape and other women.

[/quote]

There are a lot of people out there addressing the problems of women who have been raped, many more than existed before Roe v Wade.

And the "legitimate rape" comment...well, let's just say I've seen what some of these people consider "legitimate rape", and if it wasn't a stranger jumping out of the bushes while you were walking home from church it doesn't count in their minds!

You don't know that this is what this man had in mind, so you are actually doing what you are merely accusing him of doing.

[quote="cmforte, post:12, topic:295823"]
Many have done it and have turned out just fine. What happened to the phrase, "take up your cross"?

-Chris

[/quote]

I'll go along with that phrase when public castration without anesthesia becomes the standard penalty for rape. Why should the women have all the fun?

And I would be the first to second that punishment (though I’d rather go with a more extreme, if you get my drift.) . But remember The Church is against both…unfortunately.

-Chris

[quote="St_Francis, post:14, topic:295823"]
There are a lot of people out there addressing the problems of women who have been raped, many more than existed before Roe v Wade.

[/quote]

I am aware, but I have also seen much of what goes on in the conservative community. And I can say that comments about adoption do nothing to address either the arguments of those who support abortion or to help those who have been victims. We only make ourselves look silly when we present that as the main argument.

You don't know that this is what this man had in mind, so you are actually doing what you are merely accusing him of doing.

I do not, but I know that many will take his words that way. A public figure is accountable not only for their intent but also for how their words will be taken. There are of course limits, but this view I have said is far too common. I have both lived through it and watched my friends go through it. The first response to a victim is often not support but a questioning of their every action and motive.

[quote="cmforte, post:16, topic:295823"]
And I would be the first to second that punishment (though I'd rather go with a more extreme, if you get my drift.) . But remember The Church is against both...unfortunately.

-Chris

[/quote]

Really? Where does it say that?

If capital punishment can be justified, then why not this?

[quote="bellasbane, post:15, topic:295823"]
I'll go along with that phrase when public castration without anesthesia becomes the standard penalty for rape. Why should the women have all the fun?

[/quote]

Bellasbane,
It's hard, and sad, and incredibly stressful to be pregnant as the result of rape, but there is no sin involved. In fact, the suffering this mother endures can be turned to good by joining it with the suffering of Christ on the Cross.

Consider that the rapist has mortal sin on his soul as a result of what he did; his soul is dead and any good he might accomplish will have no effect in the spiritual realm. On the material plane, it might seem that nothing happens to him--he may never be known or caught, or he may get off unfairly--all of that, but if he repents in this life, he will have a ton of penance to go through or else he will have to go through a lot of pain in Purgatory. He won't get off scot free.

And if he doesn't repent, he'll suffer the fires of Hell for eternity.

The results for him will ultimately be much, much worse than mere castration, even public, even without anesthesia.

The Church is now against capital punishment…wrongly, in my humble, non-pontifical opinion.

-Chris

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.