GOP senator Murkowski won't vote to defund Planned Parenthood

thehill.com/policy/healthcare/320764-gop-sen-wont-vote-to-defund-planned-parenthood-casts-doubt-on-repealing

*Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) says she will not vote for an ObamaCare repeal bill that defunds Planned Parenthood.

In her address to Alaska’s state legislature Wednesday, the moderate Republican offered her firmest commitment yet that she will not support defunding Planned Parenthood.

“I, for one, do not believe that Planned Parenthood has any place in our deliberations on the Affordable Care Act,” she said.

“Taxpayer dollars should not be used to pay for abortions, but I will not vote to deny Alaskans access to the health services that Planned Parenthood provides.”

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) told reporters last month that cutting off federal funding for Planned Parenthood would be included in the same bill they use to repeal ObamaCare.
Republicans, who have a 52-seat majority, plan to use reconciliation to pass that bill, a budget tactic that will require only 50 Senate votes instead of 60.

Murkowski joined another Republican moderate, Sen. Susan Collins (Maine), and former Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) in 2015 to try to strip a provision defunding Planned Parenthood from the Senate’s ObamaCare repeal bill.

It’s unclear if Murkowski or Collins plan to introduce a similar provision.

Murkowski also expressed qualms about repealing ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion, which funded expansion of the program for 32 states, including Alaska.

“Here in Alaska, some 27,000 Alaskans — 28,000, actually — now have coverage for the first time. Which means they have access to care for the first time. While I clearly have concerns about the expansion’s long-term costs, it has strengthened our native health system and reduced the number of uninsured that are coming into our emergency rooms,” Murkowski said.

“So as long as this legislature wants to keep the expansion, Alaska should have the option — so I will not vote to repeal it.”*

Well she obviously has her well-stated reasons and convictions and I applaud her for standing up for them. We could probably stand for more officeholders on Pennsylvania Ave holding to some deeply held principles.

There is nothing to applaud in regards to anyone who aids or promotes abortion. As for those trying to defund abortion giant Planned Parenthood, now they are the true heroes who deserve to be applauded and as for those who oppose them in these efforts to defund abortion giant Planned Parenthood, may God have mercy on them.

:thumbsup:

Well…she isn’t aiding or promoting abortion, so I assume you don’t mean her.

Again, she said:
“Taxpayer dollars should not be used to pay for abortions, but I will not vote to deny Alaskans access to the health services that Planned Parenthood provides.”*

She’s talking about not ending the much-needed ob-gyn care thousands and thousands of women receive from Planned Parenthood.

If they are funding/aiding Planned Parenthood, then they are, to think otherwise is naïve.

Take for example a company with several sectors, X, Y & Z. We are against ‘X’ and don’t want any federal funds going to it.

If you provide federal funds to sector Y & Z of the same company, then all they do, is put the federal funds into Y & Z and when it comes to ‘X’ they fund ‘X’ with the profits of Y & Z which are receiving federal funds allowing for even more profits for them to put into ‘X’, all the while saying that no federal funds are being used for ‘X’ and playing us for fools.

So end result, there was no defunding of abortion at all, just a work around in the books to get the same/similar result as before. Which is why Planned Parenthood needs to be completely defunded while ever it provides abortions.

Than she should try and fund some other organization who can perform that service, make a deal to fund some other non abortion providing organization in return for defunding Planned Parenthood as that will give her the same result without providing or enabling funds for abortion.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

:slight_smile: Thanks 7 Sorrows, God Bless You

Even if we discount the abortion angle, why should PP get gov funding anyway? They should compete on the market like everyone else.

From a purely fiscal or small-government perspective, defunding PP Is the right choice.

PP was set up on a bipartisan basis before Roe vs Wade. When abortion became a universal right it became part of PP. The Hyde Amendment, however, would not reimburse abortion services, only most other services including birth control.

Planned Parenthood was set up by a bunch of white progressives to control the black population. They’re the KKK in lab coats.

I agree. This should be enough of a reason for the supposed party of limited government to not want to fund it. But the GOP is really just the Democrat light party.

As to the actual facts PP doesn’t actually provide much healthcare. They provide referrals and abortions.

Richard Nixon signed the bill. George HW Bush was a congressman at the time who supported the bill in Congress. If you interchange the words “progressive” and “liberal” as many do, I imagine former President Bush at age 92, who Republican conservative icon Ronald Reagan chose to be his Vice President, might be a bit surprised to learn he was a liberal as well as part of the KKK in a lab coat. White I give you.

Although stemming from the opposite wing of the GOP, the Goldwater family of Arizona also supported Planned Parenthood. In his final term in the U.S. Senate, Barry Goldwater adopted a pro-choice position, voting in 1983 against a constitutional amendment that would have reversed Roe v. Wade and returned legislative authority over abortion to the states. Back in 1937, his wife Peggy had become a founding member of Planned Parenthood of Arizona, and the couple remained active in the organization throughout Goldwater’s Senate career. Though he initially rejected Planned Parenthood’s position on abortion, his long association with the group would ultimately make a convert of him, also as he personally approved of his daughter Joanne’s illegal abortion in 1955, as recounted in the HBO documentary Mr. Conservative.

thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/5643-planned-parenthood-republicans-a-decades-long-history

Can anyone confirm yet whether congressional Republicans are amending Medicaid in regards to Planned Parenthood funding? Because from what I’ve learnt, if Medicaid is amended, if Planned Parenthood then challenge the defunding in court, they will have a much more difficult time.

As for Murkowski, not really a surprise. She has a very mixed history when it comes to issues regarding abortion.

Founder was a RACIST EUGENICIST who hated blacks, the disabled and large families.

They don’t need ANY funding.

Thanks for that information. Most helpful.

I believe they want NOT to expand Medicaid for any purpose.

Congressional Republicans don’t even have a consensus on what they want to do yet with healthcare. They sure have had plenty of years to have figured it out by now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.