Gorgeous

Just about the most beautiful thing ever…

youtube.com/watch?v=IaDiOLD1kLU

It is indeed very beautiful :slight_smile:

And to think, once a month as thurifer I get to see this up close. It was such a moving moment the first time I served and saw Father bend over and slowly whisper the words of consecration that brought Our Lord down upon the Altar that I almost didnt notice the MC hissing at me to incense the Host during the elevation :o

I served at a private Mass for my priest and I once. (Plus three other lay people who wanted to come).

The altar was small and makeshift (and we were in a small room, not a church), so when he bent over to concecrate the Body, he was speaking barely above a slight whisper and I heard it. It was awesome. As soon as he said “meum” his knee dropped like a ton of bricks.

Then when he concecrated the Blood, I could hear his whisper echo in the chalice. Simply amazing. I love how in the traditional Mass the concecration is slow and deliberate.

I also like this about the TLM. I find that in my parish, I’m not even sure when the consecration takes place it happens so quickly. If anybody ever had trouble with the real presence, the TLM is the place to see it in such a pure, reverent form. I read about Padre Pio’s masses and how the beautiful they were. That would’ve been really neat to see.

Thanks for posting this, its definitely probably the most reverent mass I have ever seen, whether TLM or NO.
God Bless this holy priest!

I was just curious why did the priest not have a paten? It looked like there was none on the altar.

He had a paten?

Its quite visible throughout the entire thing.

its the golden disk on the altar.

I guess it was poor resolution on the video. I did not see it. I just saw the corporal and chalice (with pall).

Ah okay…

I know where your coming from.

The part of the Mass you saw, the Paten is not visible on the altar. The Host lies directly on the corporal.

There IS a paten though.

That was what I saw. I have never noticed a priest placing the Host directly on the corporal. I always thought the Host was always placed on the paten. Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention in previous TLM videos I have seen.

To my undestanding, TLM rubrics state that the priest must always place the host on the corporal, until he breaks the host for his consumption.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong though…

I noticed the thurifier in the video. Was that a High Mass or Low Mass? Also was that Priest following the 1962 Tridentine Mass? I had never seen a thurifier incense during the Consecration

There was under the corporal, if you look very closely at the closeups when the show the priest bending over. Also when he was reciting the Libera nos after the Pater noster you would have noticed his right hand wiping the paten and taking it.

Sung Mass (with incense)

He was following the 1962 (St. Joseph in the Canon) The only thing was the singing of hymns instead of the Propers (don’t know maybe some kind of Polish concession leftover from the 1950’s) and depending on the Mass I think either the Gloria or the Credo should have been left out.

There was under the corporal, if you look very closely at the closeups when the show the priest bending over. Also when he was reciting the Libera nos after the Pater noster you would have noticed his right hand wiping the paten and taking it.

Sung Mass (with incense)

He was following the 1962 (St. Joseph in the Canon-you’ll have to strain your ears over the Benedictus after he bows to the Cross) Technically the the singing of hymns instead of the Propers is not envisioned (don’t know maybe some kind of Polish concession leftover from the 1950’s), but that’s just me nitpicking. It was well done.

We have incense at the consecration during our high Masses in the NO in english. It’s also quite beautiful, deliberate, and reverent.

I looked in my Missal, and what you said is correct. Now I understand why he did not place the Host on the paten after the consecration.

WOW.

I’ve never been to a TLM before - this had me sitting here with tears gushing down my face. He holds the Body of Christ like it is a delicate new born child. So very beautiful!!!

Thank you for posting - I may have to get myself to a TLM now! :slight_smile:

~Liza

Yes, you should.

And when you do, never go back.

What a silly thing to say. Why should she never go back?

This is a nice video. But it really looks almost the same as the NO Mass I attend. The postures of the priest are nearly identical.

Just because you seem to prefer the old Mass is no reason to urge others to attend it exclusively.

Well your NO Mass sounds like a great thing then.

But if its so similiar to the TLM…it removes the point of the Novus Ordo Mass in general.

If the NO Mass was intended to be celebrated the way yours supposedly is…why did they change it at all.

Better attend Holy Mass the way thousands of Saints, Popes, priests, and religious have attended it for ages…better continue tradition…than attend a new mass that apparently looks so much like it.

The NO Mass, when its said facing east, in latin, with proper vestments…is still just that. Its a Novus Ordo Mass.

It doesnt have the prayers of the Tridentine, it doesnt have the spirituality of the Tridentine.

Ive seen a Sarum Rite Mass…which is just as good and traditional as the Tridentine. However…I dont see ‘reverence’ as a reason to choose a Mass.

Id choose the Tridentine over the Sarum or Dominican any day…why? Because I agree with its spirituality. I agree with its prayers. I love its prayers…timeless prayers…whispered by priests in ancient churches for more than a thousand years.

For me to attend a Novus Ordo, or to promote the Novus Ordo, would be for me to say in essence

“The NO took out many of the most beautiful prayers in the TLM, but thats OK as long as its reverent.”

Is it the love of Latin, fancy vestments, incensce, kneelers, candles, altar boys, etc. etc. that makes me attend the TLM.

Hardly…

I would not forsake hundreds of years of Church tradition and liturgical hereitage for a clever counterfiet.

If the NO mass looks like a TLM, if it sounds like a TLM, if it feels like a TLM…just go attend the TLM.

If the NO Mass doesnt look like the TLM, if it doesnt sound like the TLM, if it doesnt feel like a TLM…again, go attend the TLM.

The NO is a bigger change than just Latin-> English.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.