Gospel According to Rome, etc... James McCarthy, references

Basically, I need to help out my friend a little bit. He showed me a James McCarthy tract that his father had, and I’d like to help him track down information on it (something like the “62 primary errors of Rome”). He’s the author of “The Gospel According to Rome,” which I’ve heard is a pretty bad, anti-Catholic book.

I recall seeing a website which debunked the entire book in depth, I don’t know if anyone has the link to that. Also, links to anything else debunking his stuff would be helpful.

Thank you.

-Rob

Maybe this is what you’re looking for.

bringyou.to/apologetics/a64.htm

[quote=Fidelis]Maybe this is what you’re looking for.

bringyou.to/apologetics/a64.htm
[/quote]

Sveet. Yes. And the link at the top was what I had seen at other times.

Thanks.

servantssalute.com/biblestudy/62primaryerrorscatholicchurch.htm

Hi Rob, here is the tract itself online. Simply take a copy of
Karl Keatings’ Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians” and use the track as an outline for what to look up.

Unless I am mistaken, Harvest House is the publisher of McCarthy’s book. If that is so, then ask the other person to produce the documents that are quoted because HH does not check quotes in their books – resulting in a lot of misquotes.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]servantssalute.com/biblestudy/62primaryerrorscatholicchurch.htm

Hi Rob, here is the tract itself online. Simply take a copy of
Karl Keatings’ Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians” and use the track as an outline for what to look up.

Unless I am mistaken, Harvest House is the publisher of McCarthy’s book. If that is so, then ask the other person to produce the documents that are quoted because HH does not check quotes in their books – resulting in a lot of misquotes.
[/quote]

Who is greater than you CA guys?

Answer: no one.

Yea beach boys rule. You do mean california right?

:smiley:

I had to bump this thread.

I’ve just started reading The Gospel According to Rome. I’ve been having a friendly Catholic/Protestant discussion with a guy from work. He loaned me this book, I gave him Rome Sweet Home. Anyway, I’m finding this book hysterical. Has anyone actually checked a lot of his scripture references? I’m shocked with how irrelevant they tend to be to the point he’s trying to make. I’m specifically referring to the end of each section where he lists what the Church teaches and then what the Bible teaches, as though they are two different things. A large number of his citations don’t match his points.

What’s really sad is my friend has a couple of friends who used to be Catholics–they said this is the book that got them out of the church. :banghead: I desperately want to ask him if they ever read their Bible or actually talked to a priest or attended Mass, how on earth they could buy into his nonsense. But, that would be rude, so I won’t. It’s just so sad that this man was able to draw them (and probably many others) out of the Chuch.

There is a book written specifically to respond to the Gospel According to Rome. It’s The Gospel According to James McCarthy. I recommend it.

[quote=aurora77]I had to bump this thread.

I’ve just started reading The Gospel According to Rome. I’ve been having a friendly Catholic/Protestant discussion with a guy from work. He loaned me this book, I gave him Rome Sweet Home. Anyway, I’m finding this book hysterical. Has anyone actually checked a lot of his scripture references? I’m shocked with how irrelevant they tend to be to the point he’s trying to make. I’m specifically referring to the end of each section where he lists what the Church teaches and then what the Bible teaches, as though they are two different things. A large number of his citations don’t match his points.

What’s really sad is my friend has a couple of friends who used to be Catholics–they said this is the book that got them out of the church. :banghead: I desperately want to ask him if they ever read their Bible or actually talked to a priest or attended Mass, how on earth they could buy into his nonsense. But, that would be rude, so I won’t. It’s just so sad that this man was able to draw them (and probably many others) out of the Chuch.
[/quote]

Well, there are worse things than being rude! You might want to go ahead and ask those questions anyway, in as nice a way as possible. Remember, there are souls at risk here.

[quote=Sherlock]Well, there are worse things than being rude! You might want to go ahead and ask those questions anyway, in as nice a way as possible. Remember, there are souls at risk here.
[/quote]

I agree. When we were talking today I just said that I hoped his friends had thoroughly checked out what McCarthy was saying, that they had discussed this with their priest, and checked out his biblical references. He said he was sure they did.

Cestusdei–I saw that book, I think on the CA website. I’m really thinking about getting it. Right now, I’m trying to test my apologetics skills and see if I can’t come up with the right refutations to what McCarthy’s saying. Call it a test of all I’ve been reading lately. :slight_smile: Then, I’ll get the book.

It looks quite good. It answers him point by point. Get it, read it, and then “donate” it to the public library (if they are willing to put it in the stacks).

[quote=cestusdei]It looks quite good. It answers him point by point. Get it, read it, and then “donate” it to the public library (if they are willing to put it in the stacks).
[/quote]

Great idea!.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.