Gospel book cover?

I remember the cover for the Gospel book used to be very ornated.But now almost every church has a simple red cover Gospel book. What happened?

[quote="tata888, post:1, topic:301818"]
I remember the cover for the Gospel book used to be very ornated.But now almost every church has a simple red cover Gospel book. What happened?

[/quote]

Parishes can often ill afford a Gospel Book with an ornate cover (there are still some on the market) so a book with a simple red and gold cover can be purchased and those parishes than can afford it can purchase ornate covers to place over them.

[quote="tata888, post:1, topic:301818"]

[/quote]

A little over ten years ago (when I worked there) my parish purchased a Book of the Gospels with an ornate cover. The cover started coming loose from the book after a couple of years (when I no longer worked there). In order that book wouldn't be completely ruined, the book was retired and a slightly smaller Book of the Gospels with a less elaborate cover but a better binding was purchased. It might have been a multi volume set; I'm not sure.

Sometimes purchases are made for practical reasons. (I'm pretty sure my parish could afford a more ornate book if it was well made.)

Are these books generally blessed prior to use at mass? If so, is are new blessings required after they are rebound?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.