Gospel Luke 10:38-42

*Gospel Luke 10:38-42 *

The story of Martha and Mary follows Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan. In that parable, the Samaritan obeys the commandment of love by coming to the rescue of a man victimized by robbers even if the victim is an "enemy" (a Jew) and risking ritual impurity by approaching a person presumed dead.

In Mary the evangelist gives another illustration of loving. It consists in sitting at Jesus' feet and listening to Him.

Some people do not have the opportunities to practice "active" services, like ministering directly to the poor and the sick. Contemplative religious, for example spend their whole lives within the convent or monastery, working and praying and meditating on the Word of God. But they are as useful and as effective as anyone else for building the Kingdome of God here on earth.

Like Mary, they have found their place in the heart of the Christian community, and this place will not be taken away from them.

*"Some people do not have the opportunities to practice "active" services, like ministering directly to the poor and the sick." *

Cities have volunteer service organizations, might contact a reference librarian in your area for those organizations, or contact your local police or social service organizations.

Or contact your Church or just look around and make a friend with a person who clearly needs help in a way that you're able to give.

Some people do not have the opportunities to practice "active" services, like ministering directly to the poor and the sick. Contemplative religious, for example spend their whole lives within the convent or monastery, working and praying and meditating on the Word of God. But they are as useful and as effective as anyone else for building the Kingdome of God here on earth.

Like Mary, they have found their place in the heart of the Christian community, and this place will not be taken away from them./

Contemplative religious monasteries and convents were once referred to as The Church's "powerhouse of prayer". It is wonderful to think that at every moment of every day and night contemplatives somewhere are praising and thanking God in prayer and on our behalf. The Doctrine of The Mystical Body of Christ is particularly beautiful. Also contemplative religious adopt a pentitential lifestyle and also on our behalf. At every moment somewhere in this world contemplatives are at prayer for The Church and for the world and for all the various needs therein. They are indeed at the heart of The Mystical Body of Christ and undertake a ministry of prayer and penance for all. A beautiful call and vocation but not an easy one at times.

TS

[quote="bkayw, post:2, topic:213363"]
*"Some people do not have the opportunities to practice "active" services, like ministering directly to the poor and the sick." *

Cities have volunteer service organizations, might contact a reference librarian in your area for those organizations, or contact your local police or social service organizations.

Or contact your Church or just look around and make a friend with a person who clearly needs help in a way that you're able to give.

[/quote]

God bless you for the suggestions, this actually came from our Parish bulletin (I forgot to write that at the end. Woops!) :blush:

I could be wrong but I believe it's an example of different Religious orders- Active and Contemplative.

religious-vocation.com/media_links.html

Contemplative religious monasteries and convents were once referred to as The Church's "powerhouse of prayer". It is wonderful to think that at every moment of every day and night contemplatives somewhere are praising and thanking God in prayer and on our behalf. The Doctrine of The Mystical Body of Christ is particularly beautiful. Also contemplative religious adopt a pentitential lifestyle and also on our behalf. At every moment somewhere in this world contemplatives are at prayer for The Church and for the world and for all the various needs therein. They are indeed at the heart of The Mystical Body of Christ and undertake a ministry of prayer and penance for all. A beautiful call and vocation but not an easy one at times.

TS

I'm forever grateful that someone who doesn't have a clue who I am is Praying for me it makes me want to cry. God bless all men and women who dedicate themselves to God and His people.

[quote="goforgoal, post:4, topic:213363"]
God bless you for the suggestions, this actually came from our Parish bulletin (I forgot to write that at the end. Woops!) :blush:

I could be wrong but I believe it's an example of different Religious orders- Active and Contemplative.

religious-vocation.com/media_links.html

I'm forever grateful that someone who doesn't have a clue who I am is Praying for me it makes me want to cry. God bless all men and women who dedicate themselves to God and His people.

[/quote]

I know a few contemplatives in various religious orders and they are all very warm and truly caring people, interested and well informed on current affairs and Church matters - and great listeners. They are good communicators too and every word worth hearing and on many matters spiritual and temporal. Thomas Merton wrote that contemplative religious should share the fruits of their contemplation in their parlours - and wonderful it is and gift to visit one.

God bless all men and women who dedicate themselves to God and His people

Amen! and thank You, Lord, for calling men and women to this important vocation at the heart of The Church and granting them all the Graces they will need in their vocational journey. Please grant us many more!

TS

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.