"Gospel of the Nativity of Mary" When found?

Hello everyone, I have a question that i hope someone out there knows. I was reading some of the books that were not put into the bible called apocrypha books of the bible. I am only interested in one thing. I am wondering if anyone knows when it is that they found 6.2 “Gospel of the Nativity of Mary” and 6.4 “History of Joseph the Carpenter” and perhaps where it was they were found? I want to know when it went into circulation basically for anyone to read and I can basically nip that in the bud by knowing when it was they were found. Any help I would appreciate. Thankyou!

After googling I found this:

The Nativity of Mary.

The Gospel of the Nativity of Mary was written in Latin. It goes over much the same ground as the earlier portion of the Pseudo-Matthew, but so differs from it as to indicate a later date and a different author. It includes more of the miraculous element and daily angelic visits to Mary during her residence in the temple. This gospel makes Mary leave the temple in her 14th year; according to the gospel next described, where the narrator is represented as the Son of Mary Himself, she left the temple in her 12th year, having lived in it nine years. It was for long held to be the work of Jerome, and from this gospel was almost entirely formed the “Golden Legend” which largely took the place of the Scriptures in the 13th century. throughout Europe before the invention of printing. It was among the books early printed in some countries where (as in England) it might not be safe to print the Scriptures. Its services to medieval literature and art should not blind us to the fact that it was a forgery deliberately introduced into the service of the church about the 6th century, when the worship of Mary was specially promoted in the church.

Gospel of Joseph the Carpenter.

To the same class of compositions belongs the Gospel of Joseph the Carpenter. Originally written in Coptic, it was translated into Arabic, in which language with a Latin version it was published in 1722. The composition is devoted to the glorification of Joseph, a cult which was specially favored by the monophysite Coptics. It dates from the 4th century. It contains in 22 chapters the whole history of Joseph and relates in the last part the circumstances of his death at the age of 111 years. These are of some importance for the history of dogma.

If you are interested in Gnostic Gospels, there is a wealth of information in this DVD featuring Father Mitch Pacwa called:

“Lost Gospels or False Gospels” …"The Truth about the ‘Other Gospels’ and Early Christianity’ "

I needed to watch it several times on different occasions to understand it as best as I could. I got more out of it each time I listened.

Thanks for the replies. So, then it isn’t possible that Mary of Agreda could have read both of these before writing her works? Since Mary of Agreda died on the 24th of May, 1665 A.D. I can’t remember at the moment when Mary of Agreda wrote the “City of God”. But it was of course before her death. At least with the Gospel of Joseph because it wasn’t published until 1722. I’m more interested in the Nativity of Mary though because Mary of Agreda (and there was another I cant think of her name at the moment, and several more I’m sure) wrote all about her talks with Mary and Jesus and wrote down all that they told her to write which matches this Gospel perfectly. Is there anyway that Mary of Agreda could have gotten this information from any other source than from who she claims it to be which is Jesus Christ and his Mother Mary? I am rooting for Mary of Agreda if your wondering. I want to believe sooo much that she really had these apparitions and talked with our Lord and his Mother. I think she did but I also like to do my homework.

For those reading this who are interested in private revelations I highly recommend the book “A Still Small Voice” by Father Benedict Groeschel.

It has a wealth of information of how to understand such things, and how and why the Church is so careful of putting their stamp of approval on them.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.