Gospel Reading 3rd Sunday of Lent

I'm sorry, but this Sunday's Mass particularly upset me. A very liberal priest was visiting whom I thought the parish had stopped inviting. I suppose he's still around and well liked. Anyway, he informed us today that because the Gospel reading was sooooooo long that we should sit (it took less than 5 minutes to read). In addition, 2 lectors helped the priest. The priest did the voice of Jesus, there was a narrator, and someone else did the other voices. As far as I know this practice is reserved as an option only for Passion Sunday.

Even if having multiple readers for the Gospel is allowed (which I doubt) this week, I'm still upset about the priest telling everyone to sit during the Gospel. I didn't want to but did not want to stand up in the front of the Church while everyone is sitting and be perceived as the petulant rubric-man.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:1, topic:317085"]
I'm sorry, but this Sunday's Mass particularly upset me. A very liberal priest was visiting whom I thought the parish had stopped inviting. I suppose he's still around and well liked. Anyway, he informed us today that because the Gospel reading was sooooooo long that we should sit (it took less than 5 minutes to read). In addition, 2 lectors helped the priest. The priest did the voice of Jesus, there was a narrator, and someone else did the other voices. As far as I know this practice is reserved as an option only for Passion Sunday.

Even if having multiple readers for the Gospel is allowed (which I doubt) this week, I'm still upset about the priest telling everyone to sit during the Gospel. I didn't want to but did not want to stand up in the front of the Church while everyone is sitting and be perceived as the petulant rubric-man.

[/quote]

We stood. But the celebrant at the parish we attended also did a "play" with the deacon and a lay person. The lay person was the woman, dressed, and using props. I did not like it one iota and was planning to ask about it here on the forum. I have seen it done only on good friday in the past.

Today's Gospel was 2 paragraphs! It didn't even take 5 minutes to read.

Now, next Sunday's Gospel IS long - it's about the Prodigal son.

What Gospel was read????

And, you are correct - having other people read parts in the Gospel is only for Passion Sunday and also Good Friday.

[quote="Joan_M, post:3, topic:317085"]
Today's Gospel was 2 paragraphs! It didn't even take 5 minutes to read.

Now, next Sunday's Gospel IS long - it's about the Prodigal son.

What Gospel was read????

And, you are correct - having other people read parts in the Gospel is only for Passion Sunday and also Good Friday.

[/quote]

The Year A Gospel was read about Jesus meeting the Samaritan woman.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:1, topic:317085"]

[/quote]

Was the mass said in an old peoples' home or a hospital? If so then inviting the congregation to sit would be a pastorally OK.

However, multiple readers are only allowed on Passion Sunday.

[quote="triumphguy, post:5, topic:317085"]
Was the mass said in an old peoples' home or a hospital? If so then inviting the congregation to sit would be a pastorally OK.

However, multiple readers are only allowed on Passion Sunday.

[/quote]

Nope, this is a normal suburban parish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.