Gossip or no?

To me this is at least mean. Some people do not think something is gossip if you what you say is actually true. I think that is messed up. I found out this dude has syphilis. Sure it is true BUT THAT IS STILL REALLY MEAN. Or when people say, “I do not think she is smart enough to get into ______ school for law school.” It may be true that Jessica is not smart enough or ready to apply for law school, but why should people even be talking about her life like that anyways. I do not know why people get the idea it is okay to reveal or talk about people’s deficiencies, shortcomings, failures and the excuse is it is true. I think that is cruel.

Agreed.

Gossip is one of those grey areas of morality. It depends on the case if it is sinful or not.

I am not sure. I think it is mean to disclose honest but cruel information on someone.

I think if you would be embarrassed if the the person you were talking about overheard you then it qualifies as gossip. Or if you would be upset if the same news was being shared about you.

I totally agree.

There is so much that is said that people do not have a reason to know, and sometimes it is embellished further.

St. Thomas Aquinas (I’m almost certain it was him) talks about talking about others, please forgive my paraphrasing:

1. Is it true?
  2. Is sharing the information with someone else going to benefit them our yourself? Encourage spiritual growth?
  3. Is it necessary to tell someone else?

All three need to be present before we can in good conscience start talking about someone, their situation, or their problems.

Cannot remember the exact words but i remember the Catechism has some very salient words on the subject of gossip…

I probably heard this on a homily or I read it somewhere in a reliable source
, paraphrasing: gossiping becomes a mortal sin when the person A tells person B a gossip about person C that results in Person B getting a bad impression of person C. Here the mortal sin falls into person A.

About the CCC, it teaches:

2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury. He becomes guilty:

– of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;

– of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;

– of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them.

2478 To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor’s thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:

Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another’s statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. and if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved (Saint Ignatius of Loyola).

2479 Detraction and calumny destroy the reputation and honor of one’s neighbor. Honor is the social witness given to human dignity, and everyone enjoys a natural right to the honor of his name and reputation and to respect. Thus, detraction and calumny offend against the virtues of justice and charity.

Mighty words; thank you. In the last war there were notices up in trains etc, CARELESS TALK COSTS LIVES and LOOSE LIPS LOSE LIVES

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.