Gossip

I am discerning a vocation to the priesthood. I feel like my vocation is authentic, and I play on going to seminary right out of high school.

Tonight I kind of partook in gossip about my pastor with my grandmother. He is a very, very nice man. Despite some differences in style, he is a great, great man. I honestly don’t know what came over me.

I guess sometimes in my discernment and realization that I feel I AM really called to the priesthood, I try to cover it up, and sometimes gossip about other things for whatever reason.

I help at church a lot and I LOVE doing it. I feel at home. But even though I know I love it, I sometimes end up making it seem like I don’t like it because the topic of religion is tense around my household. Sometimes, just in general, I will make it seem like I don’t like it even though I do, just because.

How should I deal with this? Is this really anything major in regards to an authentic vocation?

I pray for your discerning for a Vocation:

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless,
and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible,
look kindly upon us, increase your mercy in us,
that in the difficult moments in life,
we will not despair or be despondent,
but with great confidence, submit to your holy will,
which is love and mercy itself!
Amen.
GBY.

Hey Brother Im discerning as well and plan on heading out at highschool as well. :slight_smile: If you feel called to priesthood, Jesus put that longing in your heart. If you feel doubts, it could be God, but if you feel both calling and doubts its certainly God and Satan playing chess over your vocation. Go become a priest. If you need help in vocation discernment, read the book “to save a thousand souls”. I just bought it used on a seminary retreat trip in Oregon. It is so valuable for discerning insights in regard to the priesthood. Also no need to be shy about it. If you are choesn to be one of the like 500000 priests out of 7 billion ppl than be proud! Jesus wants to deploy you to the front lines of his war. The front lines are honorable, but super dangerous. You will protect others from evil and take the brunt of it sometimes. Its OK. We’re soldiers of God, its what we do. Boldly proclaim your choice. :slight_smile: Well God Bless and Goodluck.
-Isaac

If you haven’t already, you’ll need to talk with a spiritual director.

I really don’t think feelings alone can decide in favor of or against a religious vocation.

This is major as it reflects a sense of shame in your God and Faith, or at least fear of that belief. Take this matter to a priest in confession and then really resolve to be more honest about your faith with others and your family.

I know what it is like to have family that does not believe in God as I do. I have been called a nut, a fanatic, crazy and much more. But I will not back down, and over time you just never know who might follow in your foot steps.

Dear discernmentinpr, Please be of good cheer and know that Jesus Christ our Savior, God the Father Almighty and the Holy Spirit love you very much - beyond all your understanding. No matter what you do or say.

Gossip and detraction happen. Studies have shown that gossip increases when people are stressed or feel threatened/overwhelmed. Is it a sin? Yes. Can it be forgiven? Yes. There is NOTHING beyond the Divine Mercy of our God.

Take a deep breath. Put your possible vocation into the hand of Jesus and listen for the Holy Spirit. As St. Padre Pio so wisely counseled “Pray, Hope and Don’t Worry”.

I will be praying for you. May you experience deep peace in your soul this Easter.

One thing you could do is either talk to that priest personally if you know him well and you don’t think it would hurt him; OR anyway talk to another priest, maybe in confession.

And I agree it is sometimes very difficult to speak about religion with people who hold another opinion.
I think you can learn to be stronger. :slight_smile:

Please do talk to a priest / spiritual director in descerning your vocation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.