Gossip

I’ve been having a hard time trying to understand the culpability of gossip.

For instance,

If something says something about another that could damage their reputation (even if slightly), and you respond by saying something good about the person or you try to deflect the gossip and ask neutral questions in order to get away from the gossip, have you somewhat been guilty of giving attention to the gossip?

Thanks

No, you’d be guilty of no gossip or detraction or slander. If anything, you gained merit for performing a spiritual work of mercy by admonishing a friend to do good and looking out for the reputation of another.
Read this article to know when detraction is a sin: catholic.com/encyclopedia/detraction

God bless

Hello there!

Thank you for the link, it did help clarify a bit on the culpability of a listener within the context of gossip.

In Christ,

Neil

No problem friend

Hey, no problem. Hope all is well

Yes of course. Nothing stops a gossip in their spate more than a closed face and a turned away shoulder … Gossip needs an audience. Do not ever give it one please:thankyou:
THANK YOU…

Hey guys,

Yeah gossip makes me really uncomfortable and it does make great sense that it’s against the Golden Rule. You wouldn’t want others speaking evil of you.

Doing well, thanks for asking, but still working things out with scruples.

Hope you are well.

In Christ

Neil

no. I think gossip is when you deliberately or carelessly talk poorly about someone when they are not around. Well if you talked poorly about them in their face, it is no longer gossip. I just think it is mean though. Just because something is true doesn’t license anyone to spread it around

Hey Pelagia,

I think that’s about right what you said. It can’t be gossip if you’re speaking to their face (and especially if no one else is there), then it’s just plain mean.

Thank you for your reply

God Bless,

Neil

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.