Got a flyer in the mail advertising a NEW exciting church. I think I might go..

Not.

It says: Are you looking for a Chruch Family?
Many families have given up on Church… the teaching is Boring!
The music is Outdated! The experience - Not Real!

But “The Vine” is different… it’s breaking the mold of traditional church -we are a relaxed casual atmosphere & the Live Band is AWESOME. The people are real - just trying to connect with a Real God.

We are 63% MORE FUN than what YOU have planned for Sunday morning.

The picture on the front shows a young woman in a halter top and I’m NOT kidding… it is so low a part of her bra is showing. I guess that’s the “real person” I could look forward to meeting?

This just makes me so sad. WHY is it all about us - about our entertainment? When is it about God & what He wants?

Where in the Bible does it say that it’s all about our “Fun?” I don’t recall St Paul saying anything about having loads of fun in his letters? When Jesus said pick up your cross & follow me I doubt he meant… follow me to the party?

What has happened to our generation?

It sounds like a hippie thing.

There is one of those churches near my house. They wear thier short shorts and harley t-shirts. Some even come in flip-flops. t does not look to me like they have respect for God. But that’s just my take on it.

Interesting flier …

[quote=carol marie]Not.

But “The Vine” is different… it’s breaking the mold of traditional church -we are a relaxed casual atmosphere & the Live Band is AWESOME. The people are real - just trying to connect with a Real God.

The picture on the front shows a young woman in a halter top and I’m NOT kidding… it is so low a part of her bra is showing. I guess that’s the “real person” I could look forward to meeting?

This just makes me so sad. WHY is it all about us - about our entertainment? When is it about God & what He wants?

Where in the Bible does it say that it’s all about our “Fun?” I don’t recall St Paul saying anything about having loads of fun in his letters? When Jesus said pick up your cross & follow me I doubt he meant… follow me to the party?

[/quote]

I feel bad for the people who are actually misled by this type of propaganda. These people are probably truly starved, spiritually, and confuse fellowship and camaradere with worship.

You know what if it brings someone off thier couch on a Sunday mroning to hear the Gospel who are we to judge it as bad?

Would it better for a non-believer to attend ‘The Vine Church’ service, or to just sit on his couch in his robes eating product 19 and watching Nascar?

I say God Bless them, they’re trying to appeal to the person who has never heard the word of God. Honestly could a person completely oblivious to the Christian faith walk into Mass and get the bare bolts of the Gospel? The Mass is great I love it, but I learned to love it from reading and study. If you don’t know what’s going on it’s intimidating, no one welcomes you or says hello. I don’t know I think Churches like this are better than not going at all.

[quote=Mike_D30] I don’t know I think Churches like this are better than not going at all.
[/quote]

I have to agree with that…

BUT

I don’t feel comfortable with God being a consumer product.

This is a serious flyer? You’re kidding me.

[quote=Mike_D30]You know what if it brings someone off thier couch on a Sunday mroning to hear the Gospel who are we to judge it as bad?

Would it better for a non-believer to attend ‘The Vine Church’ service, or to just sit on his couch in his robes eating product 19 and watching Nascar?

I say God Bless them, they’re trying to appeal to the person who has never heard the word of God. Honestly could a person completely oblivious to the Christian faith walk into Mass and get the bare bolts of the Gospel? The Mass is great I love it, but I learned to love it from reading and study. If you don’t know what’s going on it’s intimidating, no one welcomes you or says hello. I don’t know I think Churches like this are better than not going at all.
[/quote]

To use a modern day term, these type of Chruches would be considered “starter Churches” that eventually lead those wnating to know more toward Catholicsm?

[quote=montanaman]This is a serious flyer? You’re kidding me.
[/quote]

I get similar ads at my home in Memphis. Believe it, Montanaman.

Google “emerging church.”

[quote=Mike_D30]You know what if it brings someone off thier couch on a Sunday mroning to hear the Gospel who are we to judge it as bad?

[/quote]

I agree with you Mike… if someone is a non-believer and this flyer will movtivate them to check out God - that’s wonderful.

But… I think that these sorts of churches don’t draw in the unbeliever - because let’s face it, an unbeliever’s mind is pretty much made up. If they wanted God, I think it wouldn’t take a flyer to motivate them. So instead of reaching the “lost” I think these sort of churches draw Christians from OTHER churches. It’s the Protestant shuffle. (I feel I can say that being a former Protestant who church hopped) Everyone flocks to the “new church” offering the better music - more interesting teachings - better people… and then after they’ve been there awhile, they realize the same people who bugged them at the Church of the Spring are now attending the Church of the Vine and the Church of the Brook has just formed with AWESOME music… so off they go.

It seems these churches are more like social clubs rather than places to worship God. If it was all about God - they wouldn’t need to advertise the “AWESOME band in a casual atmosphere.”

Maybe I’m wrong on this… but to me it all sounds so shallow & totally centered on “US” rather than God.

Okay, so living in the desert (Las Vegas, to be specific) I first must say I see people showing up for mass in flip flops, shorts, tee shirts, and (gag) halter tops. To me, it’s inappropriate. No matter how hot. That said, at least they are there. As regards to the flyer, starting a new church is tough. And churches have learned from businesses. Advertising and marketing help get the message out that you are there. Yes, unfortunatly especially with non-denominational type churches there is a lot of protestant shuffle going on. But if even one non-Christian decided to check it out, what’s the harm? The first step is to get them to meet Christ. And also, most non-denominational churches are totally self-supporting. By that I mean if the pastor wants to get paid, he needs people in the congregation. Then he needs them to money in the offering plate. In that sense, church is a business. Any way you can get them in the doors (reasonably speaking) is not such a bad idea.

This reminds me of another post where someone was saying that the gospel was not being preached loud enough in the MASS. It got me thinking. :eek:

When we study the early Church, we see that non believers weren’t even permitted to witness the MASS. It was for confirmed believers only. The evangelization of unbelievers took place outside of the Church walls (so to speak). It was the responsibility of evangelists, preachers, and the laity to spread the news of Christ and afterwards the converts were discipled and then brought into communion through baptism and confirmation and then allowed to participate in the Mass Celebration.

So, Mass is not the place to Evangelize or be User Friendly. It is a place for true disciples of Christ to Celebrate the Eucharist in communion with one another and all the heavenly host.

These other churches don’t have Christ really and truly present in their services, thus you get what you see and you see what you get.

… and their are people who believe starting a Church
is good business.

Taking business classes, Bible teaching, and Microsoft
Word,Publisher classes at local community colleges.

3 tiered Churches, for those who want the meat,
those who only the veggies, and those only looking for
desert. 1) Preach Hell and BrimStone
2) Non Judgemental , Theology -Lite
3) Theology -Lite, Music , Food and festivities

‘Sola Scriptura’ at a corner near you.

[quote=carol marie]Not.

[/quote]

Dear Sister Carol Marie,
The same ad began appearing in our Sat. morning Picayune. here in New Orleans, around the 3rd week of Lent, 2005.
also calling themselves “The Vine” makes me wonder who is organizing this.

[quote=mrs_abbott]It sounds like a hippie thing.
[/quote]

No, the hippies never had that much polish or organization. These folks know how to produce!

[quote=QUICUMQUE VULT]Dear Sister Carol Marie,
The same ad began appearing in our Sat. morning Picayune. here in New Orleans, around the 3rd week of Lent, 2005.
also calling themselves “The Vine” makes me wonder who is organizing this.
[/quote]

maybe this could help you…

thevine.org.hk/
and
thevine.co.nz/

i’ve search the web, this site is nearly related to the topic.

I actually got a postcard in the mail advertising a new “church” in a movie theatre.:mad: They have service in the morning before the movies start. They actually said in their brochure “no making out in the back row”. They also mentioned serving popcorn at the service.:eek:

I do think taking a family member or friend who is non-Catholic but searching to a Mass is a good idea. Actually witnessing Mass may be a good evangelization tool. My cousin married a non-Christian. She took him to Mass for many years, never said anything about wanting him to convert; and he had no objections to going. Later on, when their son was preparing for First Communion, his father mentioned that he wanted to become a Catholic. The boy made his First Communion the same year his father was baptized, received Communion and Confirmation after taking RCIA. Now the boy is in junior high and an altar boy, his father and mother (my cousin and her husband) are ushers at their parish. He may have never converted if he didn’t go to Mass.

So in order, they are pushing:

1. atmosphere
  2. AWESOME band
  3. real people
  4. God (whew! finally made the list!)
  5. fun

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.