Got a good question for all faiths

Hey Guys. Hope all survived Sandy. We got off quite lucky here, Guess God didn’t want me yet, and the devil was afraid I would take over the place:rotfl: Just Kidding.

Here is my question, In the bible we are ALL called to be Saints. What is your idea of a Saint. What do you think that means.

Later in the Post I will tell you what Father Said it means.

The Answer is AMAZING!!

Love and peace to you all!

A person who tries throughout all his life to imitate Christ in both thought and deed.

[quote="rinnie, post:1, topic:303891"]
Hey Guys. Hope all survived Sandy. We got off quite lucky here, Guess God didn't want me yet, and the devil was afraid I would take over the place:rotfl: Just Kidding.

Here is my question, In the bible we are ALL called to be Saints. What is your idea of a Saint. What do you think that means.

The Answer is AMAZING!!

[/quote]

People who get to heaven are saints. We are all called to get there!

[quote="rinnie, post:1, topic:303891"]
Hey Guys. Hope all survived Sandy. We got off quite lucky here, Guess God didn't want me yet, and the devil was afraid I would take over the place:rotfl: Just Kidding.

The Answer is AMAZING!!

[/quote]

In Lutheran thought, all the regenerate are saints, both in the Church Militant and in the Church Triumphant. We on earth, the Church Militant, are at once saint and sinner. That, of course, doesn't exclude those saints who have been designated as Saint.

Jon

[quote="JonNC, post:4, topic:303891"]
In Lutheran thought, all the regenerate are saints, both in the Church Militant and in the Church Triumphant. We on earth, the Church Militant, are at once saint and sinner. That, of course, doesn't exclude those saints who have been designated as Saint.

Jon

[/quote]

Hi Jon that is pretty much the Catholic view also. But what I am asking is what is a Saint though? We are indeed called to be Saints, but what exactly is your def, of what a Saint truly is?

[quote="Polycarp1, post:3, topic:303891"]
People who get to heaven are saints. We are all called to get there!

[/quote]

Correct, but again what exactly is a Saint?

Jesus shows us what is a saint. We are actually called to be other Christ.
Qualities necessary = No sin , holiness of life , selflessness

Only way to achieve this is by close union with Christ

[quote="Moro_Rock, post:7, topic:303891"]
Jesus shows us what is a saint. We are actually called to be other Christ.
Qualities necessary = No sin , holiness of life , selflessness

Only way to achieve this is by close union with Christ

[/quote]

You are pretty much spot on Moro Rock.

To be a Saint is exactly that, is when you HAVE achieved that perfect union with Christ.

That means to have God at ALL times on our Mind in what we do, say, and how we live.

Father said its like when you meet that certain first love etc, everthing of your mind revolves on that one Person.That is what being a Saint is. Its ALL about Christ at every second of our being.

I think its funny because myself included never truly knew what a Saint really was.

I mean I thought it was our works, etc. But not that works are not important, thats not what a Saint truly is.

A Saint in a one on one relationship with God and what HE wants is the only thing that exists in our soul.

Then, when you think of it that way, good works just follow like breathing in air. Pretty neat huh!:D

=rinnie;9964973]Hey Guys. Hope all survived Sandy. We got off quite lucky here, Guess God didn't want me yet, and the devil was afraid I would take over the place:rotfl: Just Kidding.

The Answer is AMAZING!!

"Saint" defined by Father Hardon's Catholic Dictionary:
*SAINTS. A name given in the New Testament to Christians generally (Colossians 1:2) but early restricted to persons who were eminent for holiness. In the strict sense saints are those who distinguish themselves by heroic virtue during life and whom the Church honors as saints either by her ordinary universal teaching authority or by a solemn definition called canonization. The Church's official recognition of sanctity implies that the persons

are now in heavenly glory, that they may be publicly invoked everywhere, and that their virtues during life or martyr's death are a witness and example to the Christian faithful. (Etym. Latin sanctus, holy, sacred.)*

Which means that they HAD to die w/o unconfessed-unforgiven Mortal sins and either were "Perfect" at death ot Perfected in Purgatory.:thumbsup:

[quote="PJM, post:9, topic:303891"]
"Saint" defined by Father Hardon's Catholic Dictionary:
*SAINTS. A name given in the New Testament to Christians generally (Colossians 1:2) but early restricted to persons who were eminent for holiness. In the strict sense saints are those who distinguish themselves by heroic virtue during life and whom the Church honors as saints either by her ordinary universal teaching authority or by a solemn definition called canonization. The Church's official recognition of sanctity implies that the persons

are now in heavenly glory, that they may be publicly invoked everywhere, and that their virtues during life or martyr's death are a witness and example to the Christian faithful. (Etym. Latin sanctus, holy, sacred.)*

Which means that they HAD to die w/o unconfessed-unforgiven Mortal sins and either were "Perfect" at death ot Perfected in Purgatory.:thumbsup:

[/quote]

I agree. But when I thought of a Saint I always would think, someone who does good, Didn't you? I mean a Saint, always doing good works, good things.

But I was truly way off the mark of what a Saint truly is, It really has nothing to do with good works. I mean people who don't accept Christ do good things, do good works, and are truly good people. But not Saints.

Eminent for holiness, think about it, what does that truly mean. It means that you want NOTHING else in your life, NOTHING but Christ. No money, power, etc. Just Christ and Christ alone. Its your relationship with him, the one on one relationship that makes it even possible to be a Saint.

Look at our greatest example in our Time. Pope John Paul 11. It wasn't his works that made him a Saint, his books, even his teachings. It was not his position. It was how when he stood up God just sprang out of him. How you knew his love for God. It was written in every single thing he did, he said.

It was always about God. When you listened to him, in your heart you knew there was nothing in this world HE wanted from YOU. It was what he wanted to share with you the true and unselfish gift that was given to him by God.

He was loved by millions, Catholic's and Non- Catholics alike.

He would be the best example I can relate to in our time. Do you know a Priest, Nun, Preacher like that? That the only motive in thier Life is Christ and Christ alone.

Someone who:

1 obeys the Church, no whinging and whining. Just do it. and;
2. applies themselves to the Sacraments and;
3. lives by the most important Commandment "that we love one another as I have loved you".

[quote="rinnie, post:5, topic:303891"]
Hi Jon that is pretty much the Catholic view also. But what I am asking is what is a Saint though? We are indeed called to be Saints, but what exactly is your def, of what a Saint truly is?

[/quote]

In a general sense, I like this:
catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0004.html

"Saints are not freaks or exceptions. They are the standard operating model for human beings. **In fact, in the biblical sense of the word, all believers are saints. "Sanctity" means holiness."

Jon

=rinnie;9976827]I agree. But when I thought of a Saint I always would think, someone who does good, Didn't you? I mean a Saint, always doing good works, good things.

But I was truly way off the mark of what a Saint truly is, It really has nothing to do with good works. I mean people who don't accept Christ do good things, do good works, and are truly good people. But not Saints.

Eminent for holiness, think about it, what does that truly mean. It means that you want NOTHING else in your life, NOTHING but Christ. No money, power, etc. Just Christ and Christ alone. Its your relationship with him, the one on one relationship that makes it even possible to be a Saint.

Look at our greatest example in our Time. Pope John Paul 11. It wasn't his works that made him a Saint, his books, even his teachings. It was not his position. It was how when he stood up God just sprang out of him. How you knew his love for God. It was written in every single thing he did, he said.

It was always about God. When you listened to him, in your heart you knew there was nothing in this world HE wanted from YOU. It was what he wanted to share with you the true and unselfish gift that was given to him by God.

He was loved by millions, Catholic's and Non- Catholics alike.

He would be the best example I can relate to in our time. Do you know a Priest, Nun, Preacher like that? That the only motive in thier Life is Christ and Christ alone.

I think [IMO] finding a canonized Saint who did not do Good Works would be difficult; if not impossible:D

Charity remains a condition for heaven!

God Bless,
pat

Great post, and it’s oddly timely for me! My mother and I have been discussing this very question a lot lately! My mother is a mainstream protestant (UCC), and I am Roman Catholic. I will share some of these answers with her this evening! Thanks!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Personal relationship with Christ? Sound Protestant … . Just kidding. I thought there would be Catholics who may not be agreeable to that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.