Got asked to be on the liturgy committee

I've always wanted to be more active in the church even though I'm a reader and server, and my music director came up to me today and asked if I would be willing to be on the liturgy committee. That's the group that gets together and plans the music for each Sunday Mass and Holy Day. We meet on Wednesday, and I am really excited. I've always wanted to help plan the music! It should be pretty interesting. He gave me a copy of Today's Liturgy, which is the planning magazine they use for the music preparation. I hope I learn some new things, too. I'm excited!

If you are going to be on a liturgy committee I would suggest you get a copy of the Liturgy Documents published by Liturgy Training Publications. Also read the GRIM, familiarize yourself with the Missal and the USCCB document Sing to the Lord. The problem with many liturgy committees is that the members have little education in the liturgy and just do what they read in magazines or hear at a workshop or what they think will hold people's attention.

Good for you.

It is very rewarding to know that you helped to plan and organise a liturgy (whether a mass or not). I would second the comment about getting hold of a copy of the GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal), there are many parts that people are sometimes unaware of (although I'm sure your priest would have an input if anything planned went against the GIRM).

Good luck on Wednesday.

All the best

Martin

Also, read the primary Vatican II document on the Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concillium

Do not rely on Today's Liturgy as the last word in musical selection. They seem to prefer promoting their favored composers over providing accurate suggestions based on the antiphons and the readings. Many of the songs they suggest have subtle to serious theological errors. Never let your guard down with OCP materials.

Is a “liturgy committee” really necessary? Aren’t the liturgy and the Propers already laid out by Holy Mother Church?

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:295899"]
I've always wanted to be more active in the church even though I'm a reader and server, and my music director came up to me today and asked if I would be willing to be on the liturgy committee. That's the group that gets together and plans the music for each Sunday Mass and Holy Day. We meet on Wednesday, and I am really excited. I've always wanted to help plan the music! It should be pretty interesting. He gave me a copy of Today's Liturgy, which is the planning magazine they use for the music preparation. I hope I learn some new things, too. I'm excited!

[/quote]

Well, we CAF members in the L&S forum have taught you well. Now it's time to fly the coop. If you hear the strum of a guitar, run for the hills! :)

wire cutters

Good luck! I hope you can help the liturgy committee follow the rulings and opinions of holy mother Church, since She knows best, as you well know.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:5, topic:295899"]
Do not rely on Today's Liturgy as the last word in musical selection. They seem to prefer promoting their favored composers over providing accurate suggestions based on the antiphons and the readings. Many of the songs they suggest have subtle to serious theological errors. Never let your guard down with OCP materials.

[/quote]

This.

Read up on the liturgical law of the Church. In the show NCIS, Leroy Jethro Gibbs's third rule is: "Don't believe what you're told. Double check." This is very true when on such committees.

I've actually been a subscriber to Today's Liturgy for quite a while, so I know how they can push their composers' materials more than more venerable music, but that's how it always is with any company that provides its own liturgical planning guide. I hope that I can offer some more traditional suggestions; it'd be nice to hear some old favorites. Those of course in correlation with the readings.

[quote="TrueLight, post:7, topic:295899"]
Well, we CAF members in the L&S forum have taught you well. Now it's time to fly the coop. If you hear the strum of a guitar, run for the hills! :)

[/quote]

The funny thing about this will be when someone says, "Oh, we can do Gather Us In for the processional." I can see myself saying, "Ehhhhhh....." :nope: "How about Praise to the Lord. We haven't done that in a while."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.