Got married during RCIA

I was unable to get married in the Church because me and my wife’s marriage date was set while I was still in RCIA. We did get married to a protestant minister in the trinitarian formula. It was nearly impossible to move foward cause everything was already set in stone at that date(the rentals, food, cake, music, groomsmen, etc). It was a wonderful wedding though and I don’t regret it.

When I finished RCIA my director said we can convalidate our marriage.

Have you already convalidated?

Why would you need to convalidate it?

Seems to me that it was an invalid marriage since it was not recognized by the Church. If the OP was not baptized then it would not be sacramental as well…teachccd

Our life consists of choices whereby we sometimes put the cart before the horse. But Christ, in His infinite love for us, always allows for us to make things right. So have your marriage convalidated, welcome home :hug1: and continue in your journey with Christ and His Church. God bless you and your wife…teachccd

Was anyone Catholic? The OP doesn’t say. Married in the trinitarian formula? Not sure what that means. Was RCIA completed? Why didn’t they request a dispensation? It’s a little unclear.

O.K. I see where you are coming from. Yea, there is a lot of information missing and I was assuming that he was marrying a Catholic. We both know what happens when you assume…:slight_smile: teachccd

Well, if you and your wife married the minister, there certainly is something trinitarian going on there, though after watching the news about the mormon polygamy scandal i’m not sure it’s quite legal…

… sorry, i just couldn’t resist…:p:D

I also wanted to hop on that typo but you have more courage than me…:smiley:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s confused.

If the OP’s wife IS Catholic, then they should have been married in the Church, and the fact that he had not yet completed RCIA should not have been an obstacle (a Catholic marrying a non-Catholic in the Church is not an infrequent occurance).

If the OP’s wife is NOT Catholic, then neither of them were bound by the Church’s marriage laws. There is no reason the marriage would need to be convalidated. It is valid and (if they are both baptized) Sacramental from the start.

no, she is non catholic, but non-denominational christian…

Was she baptized in her Christian faith?

Are you a Catholic yet? Were you baptized as a Catholic? Were you received into the church yet?

I actually believe that there’s something to being… well, not offensive, but forward and direct. this is a different situation, but it’s part of how I think apologetics really works. When someone is taken aback by a blunt statement, often times it drags out honesty. It takes away the likelihood of people “wordsmithing” their responses and, sometimes, it breaks through to them in a way that overly cautious circuitous routes don’t.

As to this…if it was just the typo I’d have gone on my merry way, but the pun was too much to resist :stuck_out_tongue:

Peter,

If neither of you was Catholic at the time of your marriage, your marriage is perfectly valid right now (assuming no other impediments like prior marriages, etc).

There is no need for convalidation.

Yes Im a Catholic now. I was a Catacheumen during RCIA so I wasn’t baptized when we were married. But I was a Catacheumen when I got married and had went through the right of election.

She is baptized.

Well then you were able to be married outside the church. As soon as you were baptized then your marriage became a sacrament. There is no need for convalidation.

Agreed with the above poster. My husband and I were baptized and married before we entered the Church. Once we were done with RCIA, our marriage became sacramental, no need for convalidation.

If you’re still in doubt though, it never hurts to ask a priest. :slight_smile:

Is there a previous marriage for either one of you? If so, has it been investigated by the Catholic Church for validity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.