Gov. Brown orders permanent water restrictions for California

sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Gov-Brown-orders-permanent-water-restrictions-7423288.php

That’s an easy thing to do - order restrictions on water use. What would be more useful would be to develop plans for recycling all waste water and build desalination plants as they do in Israel and other countries in the mideast.

Easier said than done. Desal in particular is expansive and has major Nimby opposition.

Which is more important a bullet train or drinking water? There are environmental concerns of course with desalination, but these can be alleviated as is shown in mideast countries. Further, it is detrimental to sea life to pour untreated waste water into the ocean. Why not recycle and reuse all waste water?

160 trenchant comments

For more than 100 years, California successfully dealt and designed their way out of water problems.

Because they figured out that their droughts occurred roughly every ten years.

Perhaps the second oldest technology on the earth is water resources.

Anyway, until Gerry Brown became governor, California figgered out how to get water.

All of a sudden … can’t figger it out any more.

Citizens have suggested reservoirs and desalination. And that extinct invasive bait fish.

But he’s not sure.

Meanwhile, high speed rail.

The OLDEST technology on earth is “the wheel”.

Actually, California USED to have high speed rail.

For … maybe 50 years or so.

Very popular and very successful.

EXCEPT … UNTIL … one day, somebody invented something faster and much more comfortable … called … the jet airliner.

So, somebody in California invented the jet shuttle.

One hour.

Boom.

Everybody abandoned the high speed rail.

Except Jerry Brown.

For more than 100 years, California successfully dealt and designed their way out of water problems.

One hundred years ago, Cal had **far **fewer people than she does now.

The water is simply not to be had by conventional means.

Considering how agricultural the state is, desalination is the only way to go. On an unprecedented scale.

Crank up the tax meter.

ICXC NIKA

If I lived in California, I would move somewhere else. It doesn’t sound like a nice place to live.

It was at one time, hence all of the “California dreams” of the 1900s. But overcrowding killed the dreaming in time.

ICXC NIKA

Isn’t California having major budget/debt issues? They probably lack the funding for desalination plants. I suppose they’ll have to do it eventually, but I don’t know where they are going to get the money.

Some California municipalities said they would install their own desalination plants and pay for them with user charges, but the State of California denied them permission.

All over the world, desalination plants are used extensively.

But the State of California said no.

Not a chance. I’ve been to plenty of other places and the only thing I come away with when I’m there… is that they’re not as nice as California. That’s not to say other places don’t have redeeming qualities, I just don’t see as many positives to living other places as I do to most places in California not called the Greater Los Angeles area.

Water restrictions have some place. But dumping tons of fresh water to “save” the delta smelt and refusing to build anything to catch and store the water when we have a rainy year and continuing to build huge housing developments (with lawns) are bigger issues. Even fixing all the leaking showers on the beach next to my home wouldn’t hurt. They dribble water all day long. The seagulls like it, but it wastes a lot of water.

That seems an odd position to take – do you happen to know what was the state’s reasoning? It seems inevitable that they will have to build these plants.

Not entirely true. San Diego now has a DeSal plant online, and an even bigger one is under construction in Huntington Beach.

My stepbrother and his family live in LA, and feel the same way about California that you do. But, I’ve been to CA several times, in various parts of the state, and I don’t care for the place much at all. You could offer to double my salary, and I still wouldn’t move there. In my opinion, the main positives to CA are the elephant seals and the giant tree national parks, but not much else. I guess it’s just a case of different strokes for different folks.

The desalination plant in San Diego JUST NOW opened, after being under the microscope for many years.

mercurynews.com/science/ci_25859513/nations-largest-ocean-desalination-plant-goes-up-near

nations-largest-ocean-desalination-plant-goes-up-near

city-journal.org/html/engineered-drought-11548.html

engineered-drought-

Good news except that they need many more desalination plants and many more water recycling or reclamation plants. California does not need the bullet train as much as it needs water. IMHO, water should take priority over everything else.

city-journal.org/html/scorching-california-13704.html

scorching-california

townhall.com/columnists/travisallen/2015/04/08/a-hot-water-issue-in-the-california-drought-discussion-n1982364

a-hot-water-issue-in-the-california-drought-discussion-

Well, admittedly bullet-trains are “sexy” projects, but relieving some of the vehicular pressure on your roads is pretty important, methinks.

You should be able to do both.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.