Gov. Rick Perry of Texas Is Indicted on Charge of Abuse of Power

nytimes.com/2014/08/16/us/gov-rick-perry-of-texas-is-indicted-over-veto-of-funds-for-das-office.html?_r=0

A grand jury indicted Gov. Rick Perry on two felony counts on Friday, charging that he abused his power last year when he tried to pressure the district attorney here, a Democrat, to step down by threatening to cut off state financing to her office.

I do not care for Rick Perry and I guess this will sink his presidential bid. However, the Travis County DA drunk is the worst example of the pot calling the kettle black ever. I would support any change of the State Capital from Austin to a jurisdiction less political insane than Travis County. Any place would be better than Austin.

Still, I do not expect to voters from other states to understand just how political this little segment of Texas is.

I have never been a fan of Rick Perry either. I did not understand why he was such a major candidate in 2012 at first. It was all based on media hype and he ended up crashing and burning. Hard to believe that he is/was still in the running for 2014.

Ishii

This is an obvious attempt at political payback by a DA arrested for drunk driving and refusing to resign.
youtube.com/watch?v=s7y7oJ266qI

youtube.com/watch?v=JrxsCH_p1oc
She has shown disrespect to police officers trying to to their job professionally.
Now she or her supporters are trying to throw mud at Governor Rick Perry.
IMHO, as governor, Mr. Perry has every right to veto legislation as he deems fit and proper, and the present charges against him are IMHO bogus and politically motivated.

Exactly. I don"t live in Texas so I don"t know anything about the DA in question. When were these charges brought? I have always admired Gov. Perry also and consider Texas lucky to have him for their governor

To say I don’t care for Gov. Perry is an understatement.
I do care about rogue prosecutors & Ms Lehmberg is a a good fit for that wanted poster. It’s said that DAs can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich, which is ironic. The original purpose of grand juries was to put a brake on prosecutors so they wouldn’t run around indicting people willy-nilly.

The article mentions that Lehmberg tried (GOP) Congressman Tom DeLay but forgot to mention he was acquitted. For shame, NYT! See NewsBusters: In Covering Perry Indictment, AP Mischaracterizes Tom Delay Case’s Result, Focuses on Cost of Defending Him.

It’s too bad ops, prosecutors, government agencies generally enjoy “sovereign immunity” from lawsuits even when they are clearly abusing their power – maybe if Ms Lehmberg knew Tom DeLay could sue her for civil rights violations (or whatever) she might have thought twice.

It seems likely that this is simply a move by Democrats in Texas to take out a successful political opponent. Democrats in Wisconsin made a similar attempt to take out Republican governor Walker through the Milwaukee political machine. Not that I don’t think that there are Republicans who would not do the same thing. What bothers me is the depths some people will go to do away with political rivals, when they really can’t find an honest way of doing it.

Just found this on the Volokh Conspiracy:

Is the indictment of Texas Gov. Rick Perry inconsistent with a Texas Court of Appeals precedent (as to the ‘coercion’ count)?

The indictments for abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant came late Friday, after a special prosecutor spent months calling witnesses and presenting evidence that Perry broke the law when he carried out a promise [using his veto power] to nix $7.5 million over two years for the public integrity unit run by the office of Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg. The Democratic official was convicted of drunken driving, but refused Perry’s repeated calls to resign.

[big snip]

But — though I stress that I’m not an expert on this Texas statute — it seems to me that we’ve seen this movie before (okay, maybe playing in a small art house to a tiny audience). Here are the facts of State v. Hanson (Tex. Ct. App. 1994):
The state alleged that [County Judge Regina Hanson] intentionally and knowingly threatened to terminate the county’s funding of the salaries of a deputy district clerk and an assistant district attorney in an attempt to coerce the district judge into firing the county auditor and the county attorney into revoking a misdemeanant’s probation.
So we see here a threat to take action as a public servant in attempting to influence another public servant — a district judge — in specific performance of his official duty. What did the court say in Hanson?
Threats may portend either lawful or unlawful action. First Amendment protection is extended to the former but not the latter. Therefore, a criminal statute that seeks to punish threats must clearly distinguish between an actionable or true threat and protected speech.
Judge Hanson had to guess at the meaning of section 36.03(a)(1) and its application to her official conduct because section 36.01(1)(F) [now 1.07(a)(9)(F) -EV] failed to give fair warning of the nature of the threat prohibited. Did the term “threat” encompass a threat of lawful action or only prohibit a threat of unlawful action?

Read the whole thing if you have a mind to, it’s interesting, but it looks like the prosecution’s case is very shaky on the facts and the law & almost certain to be overturned even if she wins.

I work in Austin during the week and go home to houston on weekends. We have a saying"the best thing about Austin is that if you drive thirty miles in any direction, you’ll be back in Texas " to many people from California moved in and want to make Texas the shining economic success that California is.

Yes the liberals want to conquer texas for those electoral votes!

They took over in Colorado too.

I agree. the ‘left’ is so corrupt it will go to all links to destroy. God Bless, Memaw

My heart is heavy from all this California bashing :frowning:
I heard this story on NPR (no surprise) and even they reported that this action was politically motivated and not likely to go anywhere.

Um, no, Mr. Perry is not that popular in Texas trust me I live here.mits ironic though, bc he keeps getting reflected.

I don’t think this is left oriented. Perry has been in the watch of several iffy things, which was some of the dirt that brought him down in the last presidential election. That and that he did not know what to answer.

No bashing, just fact. In California the liberals finally ran out of other peoples money to spend.

Please don’t wish the Lege on any of the rest of us! :smiley:

Maybe y’all hadn’t noticed. He ISN’T running for president.

This is a Plus for Perry .It willl stir up his base, lead to more contributions to his campaign and give him all sorts of positive national attention as he publicly defends himself from the charge he tried to remove a violent drunk from office.

But we are taking it back.

But we are taking it back.

Polls have shown Clinton more or less even against Ted Cruz there. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.