Gov. Rick Perry to deploy 1,000 National Guard troops to RGV

Texas Gov. Rick Perry plans to announce he will activate the Texas National Guard at a news conference Monday in Austin, said state Sen. Juan “Chuy” Hinojosa, D-McAllen.

Hinojosa did not have details of the effort, but an internal memo from another state official’s office said the governor planned to call about 1,000 Texas National Guard troops to the Rio Grande Valley — at a cost of about $12 million per month.

The memo was provided to The Monitor on the condition of anonymity because the information is not yet public.

m.themonitor.com/news/local/gov-rick-perry-to-deploy-national-guard-troops-to-rgv/article_a016fb52-1073-11e4-975b-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Yes, he was just recently talking about this, as he traveled around Iowa (presumably laying groundwork for the 2016 presidential primary season) He also favors using drones for border enforcement.
desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-politics-insider/2014/07/20/rick-perry-iowa-border-security/12913603/

In Iowa, he declined to mention any dates for his plan, so the Monitor’s news story is a little surprising. Perhaps he wanted to make the announcement in Texas, rather than elsewhere.

what would he use the drones for?

The camera coverage.

Political advantage.:shrug:

How so?

1000 Guardsmen is a good start. Jan Brewer and Susana Martinez should do likewise. This national nightmare is being caused by Obama and the drug cartels. :sad_yes: Even lefties have to ask why there are no press members allowed in these stalags, and why there is a gag order placed on border guards and medical personnel. Rob

If this was happening under a GOP president there would be hell raised about a gag order. The press would be crying “freedom of press” etc. But Obama is protected: “nothing to see here. Move along now and go back to your bbq’s and baseball games.”

Ishii

I wish rick perry was my governor. At least he is taking action. I don’t know why our governor doesn’t do something like what he is doing.

Now, it seems most of the “children” may well not even be children from what we are hearing.

And in the surge, apparently a lot of gang members came in.

They were making it seem like the children were coming up here unaccompanied. Alone. Turns out that was not the case. Most were accompanied. They wanted to play on our sympathies. This has all been a scam from the very beginning!

armed drones hopefully…blow those drug lords…drug smugglers… and blood sucking coyotes to kingdom come…:smiley:

Getting tough in immigration. :slight_smile:

There’s another thread related to Rick Perry’s action where I posted from the Houston Chronicle about how it’s really just a political stunt. Taxpayer money is being wasted to have the Guard just stand there watching. In some cases they’re just standing watching some of the children turn themselves in on their own anyway. The Guard can’t carry guns, shoot anyone, or capture anyone. Maybe the threads could be combined?

houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Texas-National-Guard-faces-limited-powers-on-the-5639527.php

As one who lived in Houston 32 years and still subscribes to the Chronicle so I can read about my beloved Astros people should be aware the Chronicle thinks everything Perry does is a political stunt. OTH Wendy Davis is the most wonderful person in the world and should be the States next governor.

As one who has lived in Southeast Texas for 32 years I agree with you completely. I am glad to see Gov. Perry do something since Obama won’t. Since he became President, Obama has done everything he could to stick it to Texas, and this is just one more instance. It is sad that he doesn’t function as President of all the states and not just as the President of the states that voted for him.

DGB

Thanks for informing us. In other words these are the same people who blame everything on George W. Bush. Two names I don’t like to hear mentioned are Wendy Davis and Elizabeth Warren!

In my opinion Rick Perry is doing what our president should have done months ago.

If Texans want to pay $12 million a month for the national guard to mill around observation posts and call the police when they see an immigrant crossing the border then you guys are welcome to do that. Of course, the problem with this whole blame Obama narrative is that nothing prevented Perry from doing this from day one of his time in office. The only difference between whether Obama or Perry activates them is who pays for it.

Obama caused the problem-now Perry has to clean up Obamas mess. I think that is the story of Obamas life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.