Government of Canada: Health risks of marijuana use

Evidence clearly shows that using marijuana has health risks. As marijuana containing higher levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is becoming more commonplace, the use of this stronger type of marijuana can contribute to increased health risks. In fact, today’s marijuana is stronger than marijuana from many years ago. Studies show that the average level of THC, the principal “mind-altering” component of marijuana, has increased by 300% to 400% over the last few decades . . .

Youth are especially vulnerable to the health effects of marijuana use because adolescence is a critical time for brain development. Having THC in the brain at such a critical time can therefore interfere with brain development and harm brain function. It can also increase the risk of triggering a psychotic episode or a mental illness such as schizophrenia.

healthycanadians.gc.ca/healthy-living-vie-saine/substance-abuse-toxicomanie/controlled-drugs-substances-controlees/marijuana/effects-effets-eng.php

Marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug among youth today.

Teenagers and their parents or guardians are often unaware of the many mental and physical health risks linked to marijuana use. In fact, today’s marijuana is stronger than marijuana from many years ago. The use of this stronger type of marijuana can contribute to increased health risks. While the dangers of marijuana use affect people of all ages, young people are especially vulnerable.

healthycanadians.gc.ca/healthy-living-vie-saine/substance-abuse-toxicomanie/controlled-drugs-substances-controlees/marijuana/about-au-sujet-eng.php

The science is clear

Marijuana use equals health risks.

Marijuana use can impair your concentration, your ability to think and make decisions, and your coordination. This can affect your motor skills, including your ability to drive.

Marijuana use may increase anxiety and cause panic attacks, and in some cases cause hallucinations.

Marijuana is not an approved drug or medicine in Canada. Possession and use of marijuana remains illegal in Canada unless authorized by a health care provider.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/healthy-living-vie-saine/substance-abuse-toxicomanie/controlled-drugs-substances-controlees/marijuana/about-au-sujet-eng.php#a3

A Message From The Government of Canada: Marijuana Use Can Damage A Teen For Life

The second commercial in the header:

healthycanadians.gc.ca/drug-prevention-drogues/index-eng.php?utm_src=goc_acts_init-pidu_14&utm_medium=goc_footer_en&utm_campaign=canada.ca

I go back and forth trying to decide whether medical marijuana should be legal. I don’t think the argument of “it causes health risks” is a very good argument. I am on meds and have taken meds that have several warning labels on them. I am prescribed lithium. Some of the side effects are dizziness, diarrhea, your levels have to be monitored by blood tests because it can cause kidney disease and heart problems.
I also take abilify it gives me blurry vision, drowsiness, among other things. I can continue with what’s in my medicine cabinet, but I think you get the idea. It seems like all medicines pose some risks, should we stop taking medicine because they cause health risks? I don’t think so.

“Health risks”? I am not saying it does not have “mind altering” affects. Some strains of the plant do. But nobody has ever overdosed or died from marijuana, ever.

How Cannabis Was Used To Shrink One Of The Most Aggressive Brain Cancers
iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/how-cannabis-was-used-shrink-one-most-aggressive-brain-cancers

It’s zero!’ Dem Blumenauer on pot deaths
cnn.com/2014/11/13/politics/weed-deaths-zero/

It has become increasingly more difficult for people with chronic pain to get prescription meds to help make daily life more livable. Without these meds there are victims of chronic diseases being refused a chance to live a fairly normal life. Many of us have had to turn to alternative treatments in order to maintain a semblane of a normal lifestyle. Medical marijuana, if taken seriously and thoughtfully can be one of those alternatives. There are a variety of strains of Cannabis that has been developed with different levels of THC in order for people to treat their pain at the level they need. I’m not saying that it’s not abused…prescription drugs are being abused despite the regulations. Personally, I would like to see the strains of Cannabis regulated instead of people having to rely on dispensaries or caregivers word on it. I’m in the process of being certified so that I can regulate my pain without being labeled a “drug seeker” every time I go to a dr.

The commercials are not aimed at medical marijuana. They are aimed at teenagers using the drug recreationally.

:confused:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11908593&highlight=marijuana

Yes, people have died from Marijuana.

Also, Marijuana has been liked to an increase in health problems:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11929931&highlight=marijuana
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=894282&highlight=marijuana

Vim, first off, I just want to say that as a nerd I love both your user icon thing and your fantastic text editor. :smiley:

But on topic: People have been mocking this new commercial pretty bad. And I can see why, it seems like a saturday night live spoof of the early 90s just-say-no/this-is-your-brain stuff that was so hilariously ineffective.

I think this ad was just the Conservative party pandering to their perpetually-scared pearl-clutching values-voters base. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I’ve seen people pretty much dependant on really strong pot after using it their whole lives, since they were like 13, and you can’t tell me it doesn’t do something bad to their brains. :frowning:

:wq

It seems many people say Bruce Lee, very famous person, died from cannabis. Who knows. Maybe there were circumstances like he was allergic to it, still, alcohol kills many people and look at it.

This isn’t to say though, I think marijuana should be legal, I’d vote against it.

I don’t think there is a good compromise in this situation. Medical Marijuana perhaps.

Teenage users I am sure would mock the commercials. Those who don’t want to are confirmed in their resolve not to.

The kid died from jumping off of the fourth story railing down into the hotel lobby. The marijuana did not actually kill him. There is no such thing as a marijuana overdose. He was reacting to what he felt.

The other links you provided are not from actual news sources. I’m not saying everyone should go out and smoke it, but do your research before making generalized claims.

brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/alcohol,tobacco,&_other_drugs/marijuana.php
drug-overdose.com/marijuana.htm

Yes, there is such a thing. Unlikely, but possible, so yes I am correct.

I have.

By the way, since you think Marijuana is such a good thing, why not take a look at some of the wonderful long term side effects of this drug! (Source: The brown.edu link above)

• Memory and learning
  • Mental Illness
  • Fertility
  • Impaired muscle coordination and judgment
  • Increased susceptibility to infections
  • Anxiety attacks or feelings of paranoia
  • etc.

Darryl1958 sums up my feelings about what you said, so I’ll just say: What he said. :slight_smile:

I think a good compromise is decriminalization for recreational use and fully legal medical. I’m not convinced full legalization is a good idea right now but I am on the fence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.