Grad school childcare question

I’m thinking of getting a master’s degree and going back to work. The specific program I want to do is at one particular school in the area, and they don’t offer childcare, as far as I can tell. There is a university nearby that does offer childcare, but people at my prospective school are fourth down on the list of priority and so everyone in the first three groups gets a slot before us. We can absolutely not afford the daycares around here. They can cost up to $20k a year. I was thinking about preschools, but they’re usually only half a day, so I’m not sure that would work, either. I don’t have any relatives nearby that can watch her. Does anyone have suggestions? I’m going to ask around about how easy it is to get into that one school’s childcare, but let’s assume that they end up being full. I don’t want to wait until she is in kindergarten, and by that time we might have another baby, anyway.

Aren’t you hoping to relocate soon?

Depending on the program, you might not need 40+ hours a week of childcare. When we lived in DC, I nannied for a grad family for (as I recall) two shortish days a week. But that mom was a real workhorse–I wouldn’t recommend the same to everybody.

It depends. Since my husband got a job detail he really likes, he’s more open to staying, depending on what happens once the detail is over at the end of this year.

Night school. Quite common for master’s degrees.

I was going to suggest this too. Depends on the field/school, but the MA programs I’m looking at are structured such that most classes are at night.

Yes, a lot of schools realize people have day jobs. Some let you choose whichever courses work with your schedule.

Thanks for pointing out night classes! They do have a bunch of those. I’ll have to look into how feasible it is to do all of my coursework like that, but that’s a huge load off my mind.

You were also thinking of trying for another baby, as I recall.

I’m a little concerned that grad school + childcare is going to put you pretty deep in the hole financially, and that it will take a really long time to break even.

This might actually work pretty well in a lower cost of living area, but NOVA is a heck of a place to pull this off.

Depending on the degree is online an option? I know many “executive” MBA programs that are specifically for people who can’t go to a brick and mortar class.
Other degrees may have to have a physical presence. Nursing is one…

Just be REALLY selective, and don’t bite off more debt. My friend thought it would be a great idea to get a Masters in Theology. Courses were VERY expensive, she took out a school loan, and lost her house. Education is a much better field, of course.
Make sure it’s worth the investment, especially with small children. If it were me, I’d wait until they were in school and the quiet house conducive to study.

There is one school that will allow you to take 2/3 of the courses online and then do two week intensives for the rest. They do provide childcare, but they are in a different state.

Since my cycles still have not returned and we don’t know how many kids we will be able to have, I’m reluctant to wait until they’re all in school, because who knows how long that will take. I don’t want to be starting in my mid or late thirties.

Is this a family friendly career path?

Yes.

That would not be the end of the world.
I started teaching full time after 40.
Todo bien.
I guess what I’m saying is:
“the best laid plans…”
never say never :wink:

A lot of grad classes are offered online, now, too. Is that an option for you? :shrug:

Keep looking at schools that might work for you, but let me tell you this. My youngest is now almost 20. The time FLEW by. Waiting until they are in school may seem like a long way off, when your baby is practically a newborn, but believe me, time goes by so quickly. If you can afford to wait financially, treasure your time now. Once they are in school, life changes again and you can juggle :juggle: kids and you going to school a little easier. (If only that they will be able to walk on their own. ;))

There will be many phases in your family life. Don’t rush this one with your baby. :slight_smile:

Many grad programs will accept a little transfer work, typically 9-12 credits. You might be able to at least do an online class or 2 for transfer, while you discern schedules & responsibilities with your family. That may be a way for you to make progress without completely upending home life just yet. (Also, it may prevent driving up budget pressures.)

If you’re feeling like you need a splash of “grown up stuff” in your daily life, resume building, adult discussion, career networking & the like, you might consider an online certification or certificate program…a smaller commitment, a smaller investment, but still moving you down the field resume-wise, and giving you that bit of professional interaction. I’m not sure what career field you’re considering, but there are so many options these days.

I’ll echo a previous poster - it’s hard when you’re in the trenches with the littles, but truly, that time FLIES past. It’s wise to be thinking of your personal development, but it’s OK to just fully immerse yourself in that “mom thing” with the kiddos for a few years. They’ll be over so very soon!

Best wishes!

I looked at the website for the childcare program and apparently it costs $1240 a month! I don’t know why, but I assumed that since it is for students, it would be at least somewhat subsidized by the school. This is ridiculous. Between daycare costs and our horrible maternal leave policies, no wonder the US has lower workforce participation among women.

In the meanwhile, you could join a cohort on a particular topic of interest.
I sense that you’re really bored at home with no car and a small living space.
Join on online cohort during nap time. The conversation and deeper topic will feed you hunger for adulting.

I am not sure why you think the school would subsidize it. I fail to see your reasoning about why the U.S. Has lower workforce participation. Could it be that many women **choose **to stay at home and raise their children if they are afforded the opportunity? :shrug:

I agree with Clare, I think you are suffering from boredom and cabin fever. Your previous thread spoke of looking to fit in or find a place in your parish. Have you made any progress on that front? Have you found a mother’s group? Why not start one in your parish if there isn’t one?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.