Grad Sues College for $70,000 Because She Can't Find a Job

“Trina Thompson gave it the old college try, but couldn’t find work. Now she thinks her sheepskin wasn’t worth her time, and is suing her alma mater for her money back. The Monroe College grad wants the $70,000 she spent on tuition because she hasn’t found gainful employment since earning her bachelor’s degree in April, according to a suit filed in Bronx Supreme Court on July 24. The 27-year-old alleges the business-oriented Bronx school hasn’t lived up to its end of the bargain, and has not done enough to find her a job. The information-technology student blames Monroe’s Office of Career Advancement for not providing her with the leads and career advice it promised. “They have not tried hard enough to help me,” the frustrated Bronx resident wrote about the school in her lawsuit.”

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,536175,00.html?test=latestnews

The high schools really push to have kids go on to attend college. Junior and Senior year in high school we had several guest speakers from colleges take up entire class periods to tell us why we should go to college.

i agree that it is good to go to college if you know what you are going to do and your field requires it. However, too many go to college and aren’t sure what they’re going to do. It’s the “in” thing to do. They are persuaded by the medias and guest speakers and this is a money grab by the state. College is too big a gamble. And even if you are going to college with a focus, the expectations are almost always too high from students to be able to get a job upon graduating since the upside is usually the only side presented when convincing high school students to attend college.

And that’s just the corporal part of it. i haven’t yet touched on the spiritual part of it. Some colleges are fine spiritually, but all too often the most radically liberal teachers are found on college campuses. This is where many lose their Catholic identity if they happened to retain it throughout high school. i personally had a brother that lost a great portion of his spirituality upon returning home from college.

College can be a good thing. But parents must be so, so careful as to where they send their children to college if they go to college. Yes, not pursuing college directly after high school is a legitimate choice.

Really isn’t anything new. Knew of parents who paid out $100,000 for daughter to study violin. She too couldn’t find a job so they spent additional money for her to go to secretarial school. Then she found a job.

A reader comment on the NY Post website in response to this article:

Trina Thompson needs to take a look at the current Tri-State Job market in terms of IT, Corporation after Corporation is cutting back on IT staff. There are hundreds of unemployed IT professionals with years of experience. This is not the fault of her school

nypost.com/seven/08022009/news/regionalnews/sheep_kinned_182607.htm

I wonder if Ms. Thompson is only looking for jobs in the NYC area, or if she is looking nationwide?

Apparently, Ms. Thompson worked as a substitute teacher. Wouldn’t that indicate she already has a degree? If she’s living in NYC, she’s probably going to need a job that will pay $70,000 to start.

Trades are overlooked. Hairdressers are always in demand. So are cooks and bakers.

I don’t know of anyone who got a job through a counselor’s office. Maybe an interview but not a job.

Actually just because she is a sub does not mean that she has a degree. I’m a sub but I don’t have a degree. The way it works in our state is if you are not certified you can sub for so many days thougout the school year, 70 days here. If you are certified the amount of time you can sub is unlimited. I don’t know the laws in NYC, so it’s possible that NYC might require all subs to be certified but I seriously doubt all of them are. It’s not easy to find certified subs.

My response to Ms. Thompson is welcome to the real world! My mom was laid off back in November right before Thanksgiving and still has not found a job. Ms. Thompson is simply one among millions of people who are out of a job right now. If she has been looking since April than she really hasn’t been looking for very long. At least not according to this current economy.

My third daughter graduated 3 years ago. She spent the first year out doing 3 internships, and finally after the third one, the place she interned second-hired her. She has now been employed by them for two years. I think this young woman needs to work at it a little longer before crying unfair. Who ever had an easy time getting a job unless their family owns a business? I am not being unfeeling, but it seems a bit disingenuous- like a publicity stunt.

I don’t know her major (and that’s the important thing) but you can’t be passive in finding a job, especially in this day and age. If you really know how and where you want to go, use all the resources available to get there and don’t expect others to “walk” you there (even if it’s their job to).

When schools can boast that, “x% of their graduating seniors go on to a 4 yr college”, it (supposedly) makes them look better.

I’m a big believer in starting at community college if a) you don’t know what you want to do or b) if you just want to save $$ while getting in the gen ed requirements.

**“She’s finally finished [with school], and I’m so proud of her. She just wants a job.” **

**“This is not the way we want to live our life,” the mom said. “This is not what we planned.” **

Well boo - hoo! She doesn’t have what she wants.

She must not have learned much in school of she thinks education = job. Not anymore.

:rolleyes:Oh please, give me a break. My sister got laid off from Time-Warner last year, and is still looking for a job.I asked her about free lance work(she works in television)
and she said nobody’s hiring even for that now. Hoda and Kathy Lee were in San Antonio last week Wednesday , but unfortunately I couldn’t get down to the Arneson River Theatre downtown, or i would have held up a sign saying,CBS,NBC,Fox etc,please hire my sister Jessica H. Hey maybe it might have gotten noticed and they would have asked me about it. but circumstances prevented me from going down there.

She did get a grant or two, and is taking video editing and other computer classes, so maybe she could be a computer geek, because i understand a lot of places are looking for techies.

I have no sympathy for this woman, because there are so many people out of work.

So everyone here never heard of one of the ‘investor owned’ schools over-selling the ability of its grads to take a job or qualify for a standardized occupational test? I think the attorneys general of several states have prosecuted schools for false advertising.

The thing I like about lawsuits is that the frivolous ones get dismissed.

Hmm. Quære: Does the fact that she filed this lawsuit (thinking she should get a refund on her tuition because she can’t find a job) prove that she didn’t get a good education, so she should get a refund?

:smiley:

Colleges LOVE promoting the idea that everyone should at least try college - if only other industries could be as successful in marketing their product. They usually fall back on the claim if you don’t like it quit. Problem is PAYING for the student to attend, and usually that money is in the form of a loan. Now instead of being 18 and working towards your first home or new car you are 19 and paying off a $20,000 student loan with little in the way of education to show for it.

Colleges love being the “first stop” for high school graduates adding more students at the early levels is very cheap for them. Freshman classes are held in a huge theatre type rooms with over a hundred students and one instructor (usually an unpaid/underpaid graduate assistant) the college reaps full tuition from students that are very cheap to “teach”. To ensure that these walking paychecks don’t get to expensive to teach they limit the student’s options to base courses so as not to tie up more expensive instructor’s time.

Then there is the escalating cost of college. The cost of higher education in the US is rising much faster than even the cost of health care. If the government is truly worried about the pinch being felt on the middle class why not direct their efforts at limiting the pay, profit and cost of a college education? The government (state and federal) already runs these institutions where are the cost controls?

Currently over 60% of high school graduates will attend a four year college for at least some period of time. Problem is, only 21% of jobs require a four year degree.

I know when I went to high school the emphasis was on “college bound” students. Attending a vocation school was scene as the “dummy’s route”. What these products of higher education fail to realize is that a reputable plumber makes more (on average) than the average 4 college graduate.

There is also family and social pressure. I’ve had girls refuse to date me as I lack a degree and in my former parish the members my age treated as a second class Catholic that didn’t know what he was talking about due to my lack of a degree. I was often called out on it and made by fellow parishoners of all ages to feel stupid and ashamed for not finishing it.

How bad was it? In many Homilies the Fathers urge people to go to school and not waste there lives by skipping college, they point out anything from the Priesthood, Deaconite and most Religious orders lay or otherwise only accept college graduates or at the last it is easier to join if you got a college degree in all lay groups a college degree is almost demaned at least here. I know as a Catholic without a degree when lay groups contacted me they’d ask about my friends and would be REALLY interested when they learned I had three friends in college often forgetting all about me. I don’t deny I hated that feeling :frowning:

I learned a CCD teacher was a practicing Satanist and when I went to a friend for advice on what to do my claims for dismissed as me not comprehending what he said (and if I had an education I wouldn’t have made a mistake) the forum will be happy to know a convert that didn’t play this game actually listened to me, then caught the Satanist in his web of lies and forced everyone to see that yes I was right, the Satanist has since quit teaching and repented via confession and no scandle erubted over this.

Anyway my point is the pressure to go comes from all sides and to such an extend many must feel like there is no choice but to go.

I went to a business school in the early 90s that made all sort of promises about helping you find a job once you graduated. So, when I graduated with a 4.0 GPA, I asked them about it, and they said, “Go to XXX Hospital and put in an application.” I asked for the name of a contact person, and was told, “Oh, just ask for the HR department.” That was the extent of the “help.” And we were not having all the people out of work then that we do now. So, in a little way, I kind of understand this young woman’s frustration, if she was given those sort of promises…BUT… a lawsuit is just ridiculous, and looking since April is not looking very long. I studied medical office administration, but I have never worked in any sort of medical office. Here I am, 15 years later, working for lawyers, NOT something I would have chosen to do. So what am I doing about it? Taking night classes at my local community college so I can get the English degree I should have gotten in the first place. :thumbsup:

Maybe she should take post-graduate work at Walmart University. THEN she’ll get a job. I’m serious.

My question is, did she actually ask the career people for help or did she just expect them to give her everything without asking? Because I’m thinking the latter.

I have two degrees. With the second, Career Services would help us but only if WE asked for help. I took them up on the offer and they’ve helped to the best of their ability. They provide me with leads but I’m the one that has to apply, go to the interview, etc. The Career Services people can’t do that.

And as for loans, if they’re federal, she can get forbearance or deferment but she has to apply for it. But SHE has to be the one to take the initiative. Private loans will give you forbearance or work with a different payment amount. There is help but she had to take the step.

Maybe she should try a different field. Just having a degree in one field doesn’t automatically mean getting a job in that one. Try a different field. I’ve applied for jobs and interviewed for those jobs in a field I don’t have a degree in. She’s got too narrow of focus, it sounds like.

I see a spoiled brat that wants the world served to her on a silver platter. Not gonna happen.

I think colleges have a responsibility to see to it that they live up to their advritisements. If they claim that the courses will gurantee a job, than they should do that. Colleges should offer courses which give students skills that they can use on the job instead of filler courses like “a nation of immigrants” or “eastern philosophys of the body”.

One of the biggest problems is the economy. Under normal circumstance, yeah, colleges should be able to provide good career advice/assistance, etc., but in this economy with unemployment shooting upwards, the college is not omnipotent. They cannot force jobs to be created.

As one who graduated in December 2008 and has been without work for these past months since graduating, there are several things working against new college graduates:

1. Experience. Most college graduates do not have experience in their profession. Without it, it makes it tough to get hired, especially when people with more experience, and even more experience, are forced to fight for those same entry-level jobs due to layoffs and terminations in this economy (i.e. the old joke about the nuclear physicist who is reduced to flipping burgers or cleaning test tubes)

2. Degree. In a bad economy, IT/business are not necessarily going to be as hot as in better times. Again, you have people with more experience and perhaps more education fighting for the same entry level jobs as a new grad. For me, my degree, in History, is absolutely worthless.

3. Overqualified and underqualified at the same time. Once you have a college degree, one is deemed overqualified for a lot of the scutwork/menial labor positions. After all, employers aren’t stupid: if you’re the janitor/ditch-digger/burger-flipper/etc. and you are overqualified, they know you will leave for a job more fitting to your qualifications when it open up faster than a rat finds its way off a sinking ship. Since they have to train you and such, it means they want someone who will stay in said job longer. Obviously, you will be underqualified that might actually be open (i.e. due to competition from people w/ more experience/education or just because the job is way above your level of education and experience). This sort of dilemma is especially poignant in so-called ‘college towns’: you have all the menial/scut work jobs that are filled by current college students and also just the underclass of said college town and then you have the jobs that require high qualifications (i.e. profoessors, lawyers, doctors, etc.) and you have fewer entry level jobs open because everything is geared to serving the needs of the college. This is my hometown experience (I am from Gainesville, FL and attended the University of Florida, which is in G’ville).

None of these factors can be blamed on the college. Its just how things happen, especially in a lousy economy.

Edit: I can certainly understand why she is trying to sue. If I thought I could pull of that kind of thing, I might try it, but I just don’t see it working out. The college is going to argue similar point to what I and other have just made and the young woman is then going to be out the various fees charged her attorney(s) and the courts for bringing the suit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.