Graduate School help

I am currently working on my masters in Educational Counseling. Of course my college, as so may are, is insanly liberal. My professors, last year told us we “have to accept” homosexuality. I will not compromise my my values for an education or degree. However, does anyone know of any resources for this type of problem?

I guess a lot depends on what you plan on doing with your career when you graduate. You obviously wouldn’t be able to work in a public school as a counselor and tell kids that their homosexual feelings are wrong etc. etc… ( not saying you would be in that situation and say that).

You might wish to work in a Catholic educational setting and then you would be sucessful.

Maybe the school you are at now will appreciate your viewpoint and there may be others who do too. Debate is great.

I wish I would be more helpful though.

Search on Becket Fund. They deal w/ religious freedom type cases. —KCT

Look for a catholic professional group in your field for support. One is catholictherapists.com. You might also want to look at graduate programs in your field at Catholic universities which may be better.

Did they also tell you you had to accept abortion? incest? abuse? Kids come with all sorts of baggage that a counselor must “accept”.

Perhaps your professors’ use of the word “accept” meant that we must accept the child in whatever form they come…homosexual or not. As a counselor, I must accept where the client is at that point in their life and work with them toward whatever goal they want to pursue. I must accept THEM as a whole package; it does not mean I have to agree with or espouse their choices or way of life. Goodness knows many clients do not make choices that I personally would accept for myself.

My job as a school counselor is to help the student/client to improve their way of life from their perspective, not mine. Do I encourage homosexuality, abortion, etc.? Of course not, knowing the psychological difficulties that stem from them. Do I judge a student who is in the midst of or has repercussions from those experiences? Of course not. I help them from the point of crisis to a more fully functional way of life (again, from their perspective, not mine). Your job as a counselor is to put yourself in your client’s shoes and help them walk toward health. You wouldn’t have to tell a homosexual student that they were “wrong”, but you could help them realize how the choices they are making are putting them at risk for a lot of unhealthy consequences (physical as well as mental).

Every day, I have to remind myself that “this is not about ME”; this is about meeting the student/client where they are at and holding their hand (figuratively) while they work toward health. I can suggest a path and offer them new skills along the way, but their choices are their own and I must honor that. Do I privately pray for them? You bet! Do inwardly I ask the Holy Spirit to help guide them? Absolutely! Do I pray that the Holy Spirit guides MY words and actions so that I can participate in God’s will for this person? Yes.

Integrating faith and counseling can be done, and you will find your own personal style that you are comfortable with. It takes practice and a lot of prayer, but it will come.

If you think that they are actually violating your rights, you could contact FIRE:

thefire.org/

The Thomas More Law Center and the American Center for Law and Justice take first ammendment cases, mostly pro-bono.

FIRE is a very good resource. You might also consider looking into NAS, the National Association of Scholars which publishes a journal called Academic Questions. Perhaps you could write something for it about your situation. There are a number of academic areas which have “politicallly correct” positions which you must accept if you want admission to the guild. Social work is up there as are many in the education/counseling area. It is tough but you need to find out how to resist yet thrive in these areas. I can’t help you much here. I suggest that one thing you must do is be REALLY GOOD in your area which will buy you both freedom and credibility. The internet can be a powerful tool in this fight since it offers feedback, support, information and help. It already has changed politics. It can change academia too.

This isn’t my area, but I heard a guest talking about narth.com/ on Catholic Answers the other day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.