Graduation gift

My sister in law graduated from high school last month and tomorrow is her party. Does anyone have any suggestions for a gift. I was hoping for something catholic related but can't think of anything good. She goes to mass every week, but I'm not sure she does much else about expressing her faith. She's never drank or even dated, but not so sure what's going to happen once she goes off to college. Her friends don't seem to be helpful at keeping her faith going strong either. I'm just afraid she'll give in to peer pressure, but I could be wrong. Anyways, I wanted to get her something that says God should be the top priority in her life and not be what the world thinks she should be. I was thinking maybe a good book, but I think we've gotten books for her before and never seen her read them. She likes jewelry, but has so much she probably won't wear in that often. Anyone have anything else? Thanks!

I applaud your desire to give her a meaningful gift, but I think you are overworking it. You're not going to stop her from going astray with this one gift. Get her some nice trinket and let it go. If she won't read the book, won't wear the jewelry, won't use the rosary or hang up the beautiful crucifix, why push it? Let her know that you are there for her in a spiritual way over the next several years. If there is some way you can do that for her, say, as an inscription in a Catholic bible, then do that. But in person is best, if you can arrange for a quiet moment and give her a nice BIL chat, "You know, don't forget that you have a guide through the churning waters ahead of you...not GPS but HSPS - Holy Spirit Positioning System!" etc. and make sure she knows your heart and doors are open to her. It may mean a lot for you just to say those things.

Get her a very nice Crucifix for her dorm room so she can remember her faith life.

[quote="joanofarc2008, post:3, topic:244490"]
Get her a very nice Crucifix for her dorm room so she can remember her faith life.

[/quote]

If you do this, be sure to get it blessed before you give it to her. Any other religious object or sacramental should be blessed as well.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:244490"]
...Get her some nice trinket and let it go. If she won't read the book, won't wear the jewelry, won't use the rosary or hang up the beautiful crucifix, why push it? Let her know that you are there for her in a spiritual way over the next several years. If there is some way you can do that for her, say, as an inscription in a Catholic bible, then do that. But in person is best, if you can arrange for a quiet moment and give her a nice BIL chat, "You know, don't forget that you have a guide through the churning waters ahead of you...not GPS but HSPS - Holy Spirit Positioning System!" etc. and make sure she knows your heart and doors are open to her. It may mean a lot for you just to say those things.

[/quote]

Having the talk offering support and advice is great.

Buying a trinket.......I suggest cash. I've had 2 kids graduate from high school, and cash is the most appreciated gift. College and living expenses are expensive! Trinkets get left at home, simply because there is so much other stuff they take to college, and cash can be used for books, college supplies, pizza with new friends, etc.

I would get a gift certificate to a faithful Catholic bookstore or an online bookstore, that way she can look through the books and movies and pick out something she is interested in. Ascension Press is a good one, as are Adoremus Books, Emmanuel Books, and Ignatius Press.

[quote="Catholic90, post:5, topic:244490"]
Having the talk offering support and advice is great.

Buying a trinket.......I suggest cash. I've had 2 kids graduate from high school, and cash is the most appreciated gift. College and living expenses are expensive! Trinkets get left at home, simply because there is so much other stuff they take to college, and cash can be used for books, college supplies, pizza with new friends, etc.

[/quote]

Good idea, better than a trinket which would likely get tossed into a drawer and forgotten. Cash always works. I would still pray over the money before giving it.

Hello everyone
Nickel9450 you have many option for giving gift to your sister you can give Stations of the Cross Rosary - Black or you can gift her a spiritual book but one thing more I want to mention here that if she want to be free then please to not make any restriction of making friends and other things which other children usually do. One thing more whatever you gift her that should be in awesome packaging and wrapping should be like that she had never seen before.

Packaging Companies

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.