Grand jury indicts 2 behind Planned Parenthood videos

Link

A Texas grand jury investigating video-recorded allegations that Planned Parenthood was illegally selling fetal tissue has instead indicted two of the people who made the controversial undercover videos.

The grand jury in Harris County indicted David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt on a felony charge of tampering with a governmental record. Daleiden was also indicted on a misdemeanor charge of “prohibition of the purchase and sale of human organs,” Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson said in a statement.

The grand jury declined to indict anyone from Planned Parenthood of the Gulf Coast — the initial target of the investigation. Planned Parenthood officials said violence against clinics rose dramatically as the videos were released in mid-2015.

time.com/4193294/planned-parenthood-videos-indictment/

Two people who were behind covertly-filmed videos of Planned Parenthood staff were indicted in a Texas court on Monday for tampering with a governmental record.

The footage, which purported to show Planned Parenthood employees discussing the sale of fetal tissue, prompted a probe into the healthcare organization when it surfaced several months ago. Instead, the evidence led a grand jury to believe that two of the people behind the videos, David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt, were themselves the ones who may have acted criminally, the Houston Chronicle reports.

“We were called upon to investigate allegations of criminal conduct by Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast,” said District Attorney Devon Anderson. “As I stated at the outset of this investigation, we must go where the evidence leads us. All the evidence uncovered in the course of this investigation was presented to the grand jury. I respect their decision on this difficult case.”

:banghead: So the babies’ lives count for nothing. :mad:

I don’t believe that was the issue before the Grand Jury.

So they are being found out as frauds and misleading the public?

No,
The presenting attorney convinced the Grand Jury that it was Daleiden that was attempting to purchase human organs and not PP trying to sale them:

msn.com/en-us/news/us/creator-of-planned-parenthood-videos-indicted-in-texas/ar-BBoGuwi?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP
“Instead, Daleiden was indicted for the “purchase and sale of human organs” — a charge that appears to stem from Daleiden’s undercover attempts to purchase fetal tissue from Planned Parenthood as he sought to record the encounter for his sting videos.

Never mind the fact that PP was actually offering to sale and was in negotiation with a “buyer” to sale same said organs.

Basically, PP and their supporters found the right jury and the right attorney to get this information squashed.

Let’s pray that the actual Jury that hears this case is actually sane!

Actually no. From the article the tapes were edited plus the two involved seemed to have faked being some kind of medical staff. Looks to me they are frauds.

I am floored. PP escapes and those who exposed it go to trial for the same transaction.

Designer justice - line up the legal team from the inside - grand jury members remain selected to serve indefinitely, are appointed, and are political. Judges? ya think?

They didn’t expose anything, but they broke the law in the attempt.

Innocent until proven Guilty.

No.

Didn’t Texas also indict Governor Perry? How has that gone?

Yes they did. PP selling parts of baby boys to medical facility. PP broke the law. Poor babies aborted and parts used for research? Really? Reminds me of the movie and book Coma where transplants were done on coma induced patients. This can’t be far behind. Ways don’t justify the means. Stem cell research can and has been done on cells from the umbilical cords, which are universally available.

PP wasn’t selling body parts nor did they break the law, as the jury in this case found.

No, but once a grand jury is impaneled it can investigate anything even something the DA has not brought before it. Admittedly this is quite unusual but it happens.

Exactly.

IF CMP is proved guilty, it will be interesting in that it might just be that they misrepresented themselves as investigative journalists

But, what they reported was still true. This could happen.

So, I’d not be so quick to say, “they are frauds”, they could be frauds in misrepresenting themselves but still reported the truth.

:thumbsup:

okay. this really upsets me! :mad:

And every GOP candidate - if he/she refers to this at all - will only use it as a springboard to begin riffing on “baby parts” and defunding, and not a single member of the media will call them on it.

And this where we are… a Texas court has more integrity than the average media member.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.